Username: Beacons

L.A, CA U.S.A.

Post Number: 9
Well, title says it all.

Speaker: Triangle Celius ESW
Amp: Quicksilver GLA
CDP: N/A
Preamp: N/A

I'm looking to buy a CDP within 500-800 range, and just found out that Rega Apollo(used) goes for within my budget!

I've been looking at Adcom gfp 750, and it makes me wonder if I can expect high synergy between Apollo and Cursa3? Or, Simply, Adcom 750 is a btter preamp?

I'm asking this question becuase both Cursa3 (new) and adcom 750 (used) can be had within similar price range.

I think I've been clustering the forum quite a bit. I have too many questions!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Ben

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2142
I've never owned either, but just from spending a lot of time on this forum learning from people who know A LOT more than I do, I would think that the Rega is in a different class than the Adcom.

Then you have the whole issue of system synergy.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3186
Normally yes, but that Adcom isn't really an Adcom. It was designed by Nelson Pass. It doesn't have Adcom's typical house sound.

I love Rega gear, owning an Apollo myself. I'd personally buy the Adcom second hand and try it out. If its not your cup of tea, you won't lose much if anything at all if you sell it. You could also borrow a Cursa from a dealer and compare the two at home.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8992
I totally agree with Stu. generally Adcom preamps are terrible, grainy and lifeless, they're the low point of the Adcom line. However the one in question is not a typical Adcome preamp. Very clean and neutral in fact one of the most neutral sounding preamps I've listened to. Very nice. I would try it and see if it floats your boat...if not turn it over.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2145
Yet again I have been schooled.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3188
I agree Art. Its one of the most neutral and best sounding preamps I've heard as well. Its also got the benefit of being switchable between active and passive.

The matching Adcom amp (Pass designed as well) was no slouch either. If I was looking for some seperates, that combo would be very high on my list. Nelson Pass sound on a Parasound budget.

Bronze Member
Username: Beacons

L.A, CA U.S.A.

Post Number: 14
Thanks guys!

Here's what happened with my CDP choice.

I went to a local dealer and borrowed a demo unit of Apollo for a few days. I did A/B test on Apollo & Duet with the songs that I'm most familiar with. I actually liked them both a lot, and I couldn't tell which was clearly better. Even though Apollo had more rhythmic drive, duet had a bit more details and a slightly bigger soundstage.

On top of that, I paid only $150 for this used duet from my friend

The unit was missing the original break-out cable and out of warranty, but I dont think it will go bad on me anytime soon. Besides, I know where he lives :-)

Since I've saved quite a bit on the source, I'll save up some more to find a CDP which would be a CLEAR upgrade to Duet's sound.

If I scrap up the preamp, I can increase my budget for a CDP as well.

Meanwhile, I guess I will have to live with turning on and off computer for music :-)

I'm not 100% convinced that adding a preamp would increase sonic quality over current set-up. I dont need any more inputs either.

For now, I'll spend a bit more time with speaker placement and tube-rolling to see if I can tweak the sound a bit more to my liking :-)

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Ben
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us