NAD C542 with Arcam amp?

Username: Halfempty

Canada

Post Number: 2
I'm looking at replacing my NAD amp with an Arcam A28, and for budgetary reasons would like to keep my NAD C542 if it's a good match. If not, I'd have to get the CD17.

Does NAD and Arcam play well together?
FYI, I have Totem Arro speakers if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7958
If you are going to buy the Arcam amp anyway, just do it and give the system a listen. If you like the sound you can hang onto the NAD for awhile and upgrade the source later. As you already know the Arro's can show you the difference with a much higher end source and amp, however that doesn't mean you'll have to have them right away to enjoy what you have.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1651
That's good advice. I've heard the Totem/Arcam combo quite a few times and it always sounded great to me. Like Art said, you can always upgrade the CDP later.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3299
David, really? The A28 is quite new.

Canada

Post Number: 5
Frank, which David are you referring to..

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1654
I think he meant me... Not the A28 specifically Frank, but Arcam gear in general. My dealer has carried it for a long time.

Canada

Post Number: 7
I did an A/B comparison between these two players on my Arcam A28 amp, primary to see how much I would miss HDCD when I sold the NAD.

A couple of surprises:
1. HDCD isn't that important. the CD17 did a great job without the decoder.
2. Bigger surprise: the NAD is just about as good as the Arcam! I found that the Arcam stressed mids a bit more than the NAD (can tell on vocals), but the details, etc were pretty good!

Kudos to NAD.

Now I need to decide which one to keep :?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3310
The Arcam still needs running in. It should pull out a bit of a lead in a few days of continuous running.

BTW, have you put in some decent leads yet? Poor leads could easily wipe out the advantage anyway...

Canada

Post Number: 8
I've got Tara labs IC's. No speaker cabling yet.
Looking for used as I don't want to spend as much for cables as the gear :-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8012
Good report back HE.

I've found that when I've compared the C542 to Arcam players that they have a similar presentation with the Arcam being a bit more detailed with better imaging. The biggest difference I find between the 2 is how much smoother the Arcams are. The C542, a very good budget player in it's own right, has a bit of grain that never goes away and that the Arcam is free of...that with the added detail and better imaging = a more musical player. But the difference isn't monumental and so it all depends on you and your budget and more importantly is the difference worth paying for at all.

I would try to match your speaker cable and IC's. I tend to get better results using a loom from one manufacturer.

Enjoy!

Canada

Post Number: 9
Thanks Frank and Art.

I did notice female vocals on the Arcam were a little smoother.

I'll try to match the IC's and speaker cable. I was looking into new Chords (as per Frank), but the cost in Canada is prohibitive.

I'm keeping the Arcam btw.

Cheers

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3365
Did I mention that NAD seem to have a replacement to the C542 called the C545BEE? I haven't heard it and am unlikely to as we seem to be pulling away from NAD, sadly.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 14
Funny, it's not on the NAD website or in Canadian dealers. Has it been launched yet?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3381
Weird isn't it? It's announced here:

http://whathifi.com/News/NAD-launches-Classic-Series-of-affordable-hi-fi-with-35 0-CD-player/

For sale here:

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=6851

And here, where they also mention a C326BEE amp:

http://www.andygilesassociates.co.uk/nad.html

What is NAD playing at? Don't they want people to know about their new kit?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us