HK Ventilation issues

Kar
Here is a mail I got from HK support. Hope it helps anyone who has been seeing issues similar to mine.

Hi,
Yes, this is normal, considering the setup. You should have at least 3" of space above the unit. 1" does not allow the heat to escape. Please try to increase the amount of space above it, or add a fan to blow across the top of the unit, allowing the hot air to escape.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

x

DWK
I actually have my 320 on the top of my equipment rack, so it has nothing above it or to either side.

It gets quite warm sometimes, but no issues yet.

rocks911
Well I'm returning my 525 today because no measures I've taken seem to provide adequate ventilation. The receiver shuts itself off from overheating and the thing is sitting on top of my entertainment center near an air conditioning vent. And no I'm not running 4 ohm speakers.

Gotta say I gave HK a try, but no thanks.

Kar
I havent had any issues with the heat except that the fan comes on (No shutting off). I moved the receiver to the bottom of the rack giving about 3-4 inches room above it. My assumption is that since hot air rises, heat generated from other devices should not be problem now and the extra room above should help in dissipation.

Kar
Replying to Max and Hawk from other threads. On increasing the space above the receiver to 3-4 inches seemed to have solved the issue. The fan did not come on in about 4 hrs of TV/DVD use and the receiver did not seem that hot either. I didnt remove the glass in front though but I moved the receiver to the bottom of the rack form the top.

Thanks

Max
Hello,
Well see, us experts know are stuff huh!! Just kidding!!! well maybe hawk is an expert but I am far from it!! I just knew that because I had the same problem too. Hell I used to have component on top of component all in a closed rack, hell literaly broke loose in there one day,whew!! snap, crackle,pop went everything. I was also severely shocked during the incident and almost lost my life!!! well I was just paralyzed on my right side of my body, but I felt dead...Oh sorry back to your problem.. I am glad it is solved now because I hate to hear about H/K problems!! Just remember, WE are the H/K cult!!!
Max

Hawk
Kar:

Glad it worked out. The H/Ks are pretty well built and I am glad you solved the problem. Thanks for letting us know.

Kar
I got another mail from H/K support which I thought I would share with everyone:
Hi,
This receiver has 7 really powerful high current amps in it. If this receiver is sitting a cabinet with stagnant air, yes the fan will turn on. Try opening the front class door to create cross ventilation. Chances are the fan will not turn on anywhere nearly as often.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

x

Max
Hello,
Aw see didn't I tell you that!!! Glad to see their customer service is on the ball..Just another reason why I love H/K.. By the way, you know its just a joke about the whole H/K cult thing right? Hey I am sorry about the whole anonymous thing, it was just that other guy, not you. So if you wanna post as anonymous its ok..
I am glad you can now fully appreciate your H/K with no problems..
Max

Kar
Well, I didnt realize I would be posting so often here. I was meaning to switch names to something more funky but you forced me to use my name

I am starting to enjoy the HK more now, probably with the speakers breaking in. I did also notice that the difference between various DSP modes in more pronunced in H/K than Onkyos & Denons. Similarly, playing DTS Digital gives a completely different effect when compared with a Denon where switching from Dolby Digital to DTS Digital didnt seem to change the sound much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us