H/K 325 FOR 499!!!

Max
Hey,
Is that a good deal? Its even from an authorized dealer...I may get either that or the H/K 225..
Whats the better choice? I have some old H/K's with Dynaco speakers and they rock even being more than 20 years old. So I am sticking with my roots, I wont even consider any other brands..ever...Any suggestions please...

P.S. I know some of you are probaly tired of answering the H/K questions but this will be my only one...peace

GT
Get the 325 over the 225. $499 is good from an authorized dealer.

325 adds all these features over the 225.

1. Dual independent power supplies for front & rear channels.
2. 7.1 amplified channels
3. DTS-ES, DD-EX, DTS:Neo, 7 channel stereo
4. 7.1 preamp outputs, 225 has none.
5. Multizone output, can play a 2nd source in another room.
6. Triple Xover bass management. 225 fixed at 100hz
7. MP3 decoding
8. A-bus and RS-232 support
9. 8 device learning remote
0. 35amps vs 28amps, hence more power in reserve.

If you can afford the 325, its a no brainer.

I have a 325 and love it. The 225 is good but the 325 is much more flexible.

Max
Hey,
Ok cool I am gonna get it!! What is that a-bus thing and do you hear the fan in back? Thanks

Anonymous
Sixth Ave (www.6ave.com) has it for $449 + Tax in NJ + shipping = approx $470 in NJ

Max
Hey,
Does it matter if it is an authorized dealer? I know 6ave is not an authorized dealer but I dont know how much it matters? any suggestions please?

GT
The A-bus technology is something you may never use. It looks like an ethernet port on the back of your computer. Its for wiring the multizone output to a keypad for controlling volume and such in another room. The manual doesn't explain it very well.

As far as the fan is concerned, I've never had mine come on. My 325 is in a very well ventilated spot though. Will you be housing your receiver in a rack or on an open shelf?

Anonymous
GT
Likewise, I dont think even the MP3 decoding feature is useful unless the Computer is next to the receiver. I dont think running a long cables is an elegant solution. Maybe transfering it to a Mp3 (HD based) device - but still its inconvinient.
X10.com has a device which transfers over RF freq. mp3 files from your PC to the receiver. anyone has any experiences with that?

Max,
6ave is a authorized dealer for everything they sell. They have stores all over Jersey though they started in 6th Ave in Manhattan!
Buying thru a Authorized dealer gives you the peace of mind. Mind you many 'non' authorized resellers offer their own warranty plans which are often serviced by third parties. If you are particularly aware of the integrity of the non-authorised reseller, you may want to take a chance. I personally think the price differences are not so great so I bought a factory renewed receiver instead but with factory waranty.

GT
I recently picked up the HK DAL 150 from Ubid for $20 brand new. I have a 2nd receiver with MP3 decoding so I'll experiment with it to see how well it works with my computer. I must agree many features are useless when you see what it takes to make them work.

I read somewhere 6ave.com is authorized for in store sales but perhaps not for online, at least with HK. Fry's might be the same way. They're both listed in the "where to buy" section but not on the authorized etailers list. Maybe this is just an oversight by HK, I dunno.

But buying from an authorized dealer is highly recommended.

Max
Hey,
Well H/K is pretty reliable but it says they may be counterfit H/K's if its not authorized? That was the only real scary thought, but I think I would know if its a fake H/K I would just weigh it and stuff. Yeah I will probably just save money and get one even cheaper from a good reliable site. By the way what is factory refurbished is it the same as factory reconditioned? Thanks again,
Max

Hawk
I found the following posted on a "Deals page" on another forum. Even better priced from an authorized dealer, One Call:

OneCall - New Harman Kardon Receiver Deals & More (Posted by: Apex)
For all of you asking for the Harman Kardon receiver deals... well, they`re back. These deals all expire 9/14/03:

Start here to sign up for your free OnePass membership. If you already have one, then log in. ONEPASS
Harman Kardon AVR525 7.1 Channel Receiver with DD-EX, DTS-ES, Logic 7 for $553.41 plus shipping after OnePass discount. Limited to quantities on hand, may be pulled at any time. AVR525
Harman Kardon AVR325 7.1 Channel Receiver with DD-EX, DTS-ES, Logic 7 for $422.24 plus shipping after OnePass discount. Limited to quantities on hand, may be pulled at any time. AVR325
Onkyo TX-SR601 6.1 Channel Receiver with DD-EX, DTS-ES for $395.01 after OnePass discount including FREE FedEx 3rd Day Shipping! Limited to quantities on hand. TXSR601
Onkyo factory renewed DRC500 Progressive Scan DVD player with integrated 5.1 Channel Receiver for $188 plus shipping. Limited to quantities on hand. DRC500

GT
Hawk found a very good deal from an authorized retailer. OneCall is very reputable. There you go Max!

Max
Hey,
This always happens to me!! DEAL EXPIRES 9/14, crap I dont have the money yet, thats a bummer I would have loved to get the 325 for 422$ thats a killer deal, hopefully just hopefully they will have this super sale again. Well maybe I can borrow some money. Thanks hawk for showing me that, I will check onecall once I get the loot maybe I could work a deal. But can somebody please tell me what refurbished is and what reconditioned is? thanks again hawk and others.

GT
Refurbished and reconditioned are the same thing. The unit had been returned because of a problem but it has been fixed and tested, but it can no longer be sold as new. Most manufacturers give limited warranties with refurbished units but HK gives the full mfr 2 year warranty. Its not a bad way to go.

But new for $422 would be better.

GT
Here is Harman Kardon's definition of Factory Remanufactured from harmanaudio.com

"These are products that are reduced in price due to small physical imperfections or damaged packaging, are unused returns from our dealers, or are no longer in production. All of them meet our original specifications and, unless specifically noted otherwise, carry the original factory warranties.
Since the availability of this category of products changes frequently, we only show what is in stock at the time you are looking at this site. "

And here is Onecall's definition of Factory Renewed items.
Some major retail superstores offer a 30-day money back guarantee on their products and there are those consumers that just simply take advantage of that. These items are returned to the manufacturer, inspected and repackaged like new.

Items where the box or casing was damaged in shipment which are returned to the manufacturer.

The item was returned to the manufacturer because of a slight defect. The part that was defective was replaced by the manufacturer, tested and then repackaged just like new.

The item could have minor cosmetic flaws.

Demonstration units are also considered factory renewed. These units are inspected, tested and repackaged. The box was simply opened. That's it! Brand new overstocked items are also labeled factory renewed.

It is impossible to know the history of each item, but for whatever reason the unit gets labeled factory renewed it is inspected & serviced by the manufacturer then tested and repackaged to meet original product specifications. All merchandise is warranted by the original manufacturer.
Factory renewed items have a much lower defect rate. From ten units that come back for repair only one is usually factory renewed, because factory renewed units are tested before they are sold.

Max
Hey,
Thanks a bunch gt!!! Ok so there not a bad way to go. Knowing that gives me a heck of alot more choices. Do you like the H/K 525? besides some of the useless features which I dont really mind.
Thanks again,
Max

Anonymous
Max,
I bought the HK525Z from Onecall back in March '03 (they had it for $499 then) and I'm very happy with it. Except for the "Z" and the money I saved, the unit was new. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Max
Hey,
What speakers are you running from your 525? I will be using some pretty effiecient Dcm's with 92db sensitivity, and 200wtts Rms, Will the 525 be ample power? How is it for Movies? Thanks again,
Max

Max,

I'm sure the 525 will be very good for your 92db speakers. I don't have the 525, but do have the AVR-7200 -- which is awesome !! However, I don't have a need for all the power that the 7200 provides. I do love it for both music and cinema. This is my first H/K purchase and I am completely happy with their gear.

"Factory renewed items have a much lower defect rate. From ten units that come back for repair only one is usually factory renewed, because factory renewed units are tested before they are sold."

GT, I don't really want to be a nitpicker and I may be misreading this but I'd really like to know if this is true about factory renewed receivers.

In your example factory renewed items would have a lower defect rate only if they represent greater than 10% of the receivers out there. i.e. If the number of factory renewed receivers is 1 in 20 and 1 in 10 (maybe this is just an estimate on your part?) receivers that come back for repair is factory renewed, then they actually have double the defect rate of new.

Anonymous
Max,
I'm not familiar with DCM speakers, but at 92db you should not have any problem driving them. I'm using NHT speakers with my 525 and they are 86db. I love the soundstage and how they fill the room for both music and movies.

GT
Smitty,

I agree with your question of the lower defect rate. This was from the Onecall site, not me. I would think HK sells way more than 10-1 new vs factory renewed. As far as I can tell, only Onecall, HarmanAudio, Ubid and their Ebay site sell factory renewed receivers. Considering all the authorized dealers such as Fry's, Circuit City, J&R, 6th Ave, Onecall etc, it might be 25-1 new vs renewed. Then that statement would be misleading.

Who knows?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us