Nait 5i-2

Username: Khairuza2002

Post Number: 1
Dear Frank & All,

I've just bought myself the new nait a few months back, just love it. I'm still saving for the CD5i and till then using my current Marantz CD6002 and Usher's S-520 (on Soundstyle Z2). I'm using Ecosse Conductor CA-1 Original for the interconnect and NACA 5. Need your advise on how to further improve my setup. By the way, my music room is small (9ft by 6ft). Thank you all.

Best Regards,
Zam

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 157
Zam, What do you want to improve on with in your system?

Post Number: 2
Dear Steve,

I'm not to sure apart from the CD player, but hoping that you could advise me on with to go first. Tq

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 160
Zam, that would be hard for me to do as I do not know what you are wanting. For any of us to advise you we need to know what you are after. ie: more transparency or maybe more accurate bottom end, maybe a warmer sound or perhaps a more forward presentation. Do you like live music? Is there something about that presentation you would like in your system? So give us a little more info and hopefully we can help.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3142
Generic answers -

Make sure your speakers are placed properly.

When you get the CD5i, make sure everything is run in before you start making changes.

Make sure you initially use the Naim supplied DIN until everything is run in.

Make sure you use a good rack for the components. Naim can be sensitive to this. Ikea Lack and Corras stuff works very well for dirt cheap.

After that stuff, go back to the old interconnect and compare everything.

Post Number: 3
Steve, I'm sorry that I've not provided you all with specific questions & details pertaining to improvement required for my setup. I'm rather new at this, so I'm unable to explain in great details (technical jargons) what is lacking. All I know is that, the current vocal presentation is great but sometimes I feel that the music or instrument lacks depth to the extend tonally flat (could it be the speakers?). I know that my setup is a long way from perfect, but its a start. So please if you could advise me on the way forward to improve. By the way I listen to Jazz, Rock, Pop & occasionally live. Tq you all for the effort & sorry if I sound inexperienced

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 470
As Stu suggested, I wouldn't do anything until you have all the new stuff and it's run in fully. Who knows, you might find you're delighted with the results and don't need to do anything further. If at that point you're still searching for something else, definately start with the easy stuff, like speaker location, cabling options, room treatments, isolation options, etc.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 161
Absolutely, wait till you have your CD player and your system is all run in. If the depth and tonality are still not there, and speaker placement does not help, then you may want to look at the speakers and possibly IC's. Your Naim gear is very nice electronics by the way. Also, having your speakers a long the short will usually make them perform their best. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3486
zam,

Sorry I've not been around.

First, are your speakers against the short or long wall? I assume their backs are to the short wall aiming down the length. It's a small space so this is rather awkward.

As others here have said, you need to get the CD player in, use the standard (very cheap looking but it's the best below silly money) DIN-DIN interconnect that comes with the CD player and run it in. After a week or so of continuous play, you'll be in a position to move the speakers until it sounds right. After that, enjoy and buy CDs.

The only changes you could make are cables or speakers and the only cables I would ever suggest are the naim ones which are big money. Speakers affect the voice (or colour) of the system very heavily and I don't know what the Ushers do (except that they're meant to be good). I say cross that bridge in the future when you get to it and only if you really want to. First see how you get on with the system for a few months...

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11420
Zam, only change your clothes until the cdp is in place and run in, just like Frank says.

Placement will change those Ushers in a big way, and you can use the corners if you want to, at least how they were set up at a shop I was in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us