Help with speakers have wrong connectors

Username: Themitz

Post Number: 1
I recently bought surround sound speakers for my new AV Receiver (Onkyo TXSR506) but the receiver uses binding posts and the speakers I bought has RCA connectors. Can I cut off the RCA connectors and strip the wires and if so how will I know +/-.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3135
Mitzi,

What speakers did you buy? It's very unusual (but not unknown) for speakers to use RCA connections when driven passively. We need to know exactly what they are because RCA connections could mean they're active in which case you MUST NOT cut the cables and plug into the power amp outputs of your Onkyo.

Let us know what they are and we'll see if we can figure out what you should do.

Frank.

Username: Themitz

Post Number: 2
The speakers are Acoustic Authority A-5640RB Silver 5.1 Piece 140 Watt Pro Series Surround Sound Subwoofer Satellite System. I see RCA connectors on Onkyo receiver but the user manual says they are just for dvd playback and I need to hook up speakers to the binding posts if I want to listen to my HDTV/Cable.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12907

I cannot tell from the pictures how that system operates. What does your owner's manual for the speakers suggest for a proper connection?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3144
Everywhere I 've looked on the web indicates this is a PC-system package. Most of the time, PC speakers are active (powered) - i.e. they need to be plugged into the wall for power, or slave off the PC. Sometimes, they are powered by the Sub which takes a feed from the PC, again sometimes it's a digital feed sometimes it's analogue.

No idea on these speakers I'm afraid. I can't find any manuals on the 'net. You need to read yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us