Denon DVD 1930CI DVD/CD Player --- good enough for music CDs?

Username: Jbrealty

Post Number: 2
Below are the specs of my system .... its biased towards music not HT ... is the Denon good enough to play my music CDs? or would a dedicated player like NAD 525, 542 or Cambridge's 540 v2 produce noticeable differences on my system that would be worth the cost of the dedicated CD player?

Thanks for the input!

Joe

2 Channel Audio/Video System

Panasonic TH-50PX60U HD 50" Plasma
NAD 720BEE Amp
Denon DVD 1930CI DVD/CD Player
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Main Speakers
REL T1 Subwoofer
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Bi-wired
Sanus Steel Monitor Stands

Post Number: 3
sorry for the double post ignore the thread below and respond in this one

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2737
Joeseph,

I own the same DVD player. IMO, its not a very good CD player for music. It sounds a bit dull and lifeless to me. Its main intent is movies, and I think it excells at that. The upscaling is excellent.

I don't own any SACDs, so I have no comment on that.

I have it connected to my system, and there's no comparison to my Rega Apollo. I used to own an NAD 320BEE (same as your receiver) and an NAD 523 CD changer. The changer sounded better for music and it was about 10 years older, if that's any indication.

All of the CD players you mentioned should be an obvious improvement. I'm not surte how the Cambridge CD player would sound from a synergy standpoint, but the NADs will have an obvious synergy. The 542 is the best of the bunch, and obviously costs more. You should hear a definite improvement over the lower end NADs, but if its worth it is up to you to decide. I think it is.

Your best bet would be to take home a CD player and compare them side by side. Not everyone has the same priorities and listens for the same things.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10286
The 542 is a good match. Good player, if had for the right price.
The Apollo would be my 2nd choice, but a long step away from the 542 for that set.
Check out your room and your speaker placement before you try players man, unless you alreday have.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2750
I didn't mean to imply that an Apollo should be paired up with a 720BEE. I think that's a waste of money if he plans on keeping the 720BEE. The 720BEE will however show differences and improvements from the 542 to the Apollo. My 320BEE showed them when I hooked my Apollo up to it.

But again, the price difference between the 542 and Apollo is not worth it if they're being played through a 720BEE for the long haul.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10287
That was about my assessment, Stu, if I worded it wrong.
The Apollo would be my second choice, but somewhat different from the all NAD setup, and at a cost.

Post Number: 4
So I guess I should go with a 542 ... if I sell off the the 720bee for separates/integrateds and go with the Apollo that will significantly change the budget of this sytem :-)

I guess you guys like the waferdales and rel ... no negative comments on those yet ;)

At least I didnt go with a Bose all in one like most of my friends did .... :-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2756
The 720BEE is an excellent reciever for the money. I can't think of a better one for the same price. Its also very flexible.

I don't have much experience with your speakers, but Wharfedale makes a quality product overall. They pair up very well with NAD IMO.

Another good thing about getting an NAD CD player is that your 720BEE's remote will control it, thereby lessening the amount of remotes on your lap.

Your best bet is to go to a shop and compare the different CD players. The difference between the 542 and 525BEE may not be enough to justify the exrta $200 or so. Maybe it is. Only you can answer that.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1876
The NAD C515BEE for $235 (refurb.) might be well worth a listen http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/C515BEE.asp

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1311
Hmmm, now I know why nobody else responded to the other post...duh!

Post Number: 5
OK I decided to use a dedicated CD unit to play my music CDs I got a good deal on a slightly used Cambridge ... should have it soon ... do you guys think this player will make a noted quality difference in music playback through my system?

The NAD seems to have plenty of clean power to play my speakers so I think Ill keep it for now, but I may decide to get a Cambridge integrated down the road for an all British audio system :-)

updated specs:

Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma
Denon DVD 1930CI DVD/CD Player

NAD 720BEE Amp
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Main Speakers
w/ Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Bi-wired
REL T1 Subwoofer
Sanus 26" Steel Monitor Stands

Coming Soon:
Cambridge 640c V2
w/ Blue Jeans LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1879
That will be a very neat set-up, congratulations.

Post Number: 6
OK I got the Cambridge. There is a notable difference in SQ. The music soulds a bit more real and full, can hear little nuances that werent there before. Imaging seems better too. I think I may be good for now. The NAD 720 seems to be doing the job with my 9.1s not sure upgrading the amp would make much of a noticable difference with my other current specs.

Video:
Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma
Denon DVD 1930CI DVD Player

Audio:
NAD C 720BEE Stereo Amplifier
Cambridge Audio 640c V2
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Monitors
REL T1 Subwoofer
Blue Jeans LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Bi-wired
Sanus 26" Steel Monitor Stands

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7013
Looks like a good system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10349
JB, that looks like a well balanced system.
Have you worked very hard on speaker placement and room acoustics?
That might...might be the free finishing touch.

Post Number: 7
I am moving in July. Right now I am auditioning the equipment in my bedroom. I have played with placement, etc. a bit; But I am going to pay alot more attention when I move this to my new living room. I think speaker placement and setting up the REL sub properly will make a nice final touch.

Then, later on, if I get the upgrade bug I can go for an integrated amp and maybe some floorstanders :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us