Nighline 360 Amp and speaker setup

Username: Moorsey

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

Came across this forum while Googleing for info on RMS power and music power and what it all means?!

I am a member of staff at a youth organisation and have decided to start doing our own discos, so have bought a simple amp/speaker package (on a budget here).

But I'm lost with all the terms, the amp is rated at 2x120 RMS power, but, 2x500 music power, whats that supposed to mean? I've half figured that RMS is the average of the output, but 2x120 is pretty naff?

The package is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D270234694664&ssPageN ame=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

If anyone could give me a easy to understand definition, then that would be great. Hope I'm not going to end up disappointed with the above.

Thanks

Martin

Post Number: 2
Think the above link is broken, try this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1200W-POWER-PA-DJ-SET-SPEAKERS-AMPLIFIER-MIXER-DJ-25_W0QQi temZ270237490981QQihZ017QQcategoryZ23786QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12648

Neither spec actually means much since it is (mostly) the electrical sensitivity of your speakers that will determine the volume level you can achieve in a given space.

But "RMS" is "root mean square" and is meant to represent the ability of an amplifier to drive a "dummy load" (a large resistor) at a constant output voltage over a pre-determined period of time. Looking at the RMS wattage should give you a relative comparison between a 30 watt and a 120 watt amplifier so you have some idea why you should pay more for more watts. As I said, the spec is not all that important and you can play as loud with a 30 watt amplifier driving a 96dB sensitive speaker as you could a 120 watt amplifier driving a 90dB sensitive speaker (a 6dB difference which is equivalent to doubling your wattage twice 30/60/120; each time you duble the wattage output you gain roughly 3dB increase in volume [SPL]). If you want to play loud to fill a large space, buy the speakers with the highest senstivity spec that also sounds good to your ears. Typically buying a more sensitive speaker is cheaper than buying more watts in an amplifier and provides more headroom for the amplifier which should minimize stress on all of the components.

Music power specs are BS and meant to confuse. Ignore them as they are usually not worth the paper they are printed on. They should represent a peak power capacity of the amplifier for very short term signals. In reality they just confuse and were at one time not allowed on packaging for this very reason.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10250
But a 130lb amplifier is a lot of fun too.

Post Number: 3
guys, thanks for the help and info, making more sense now, much appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us