Can't get surround sound from multichannel source

Username: Divotdude

Modesto, California Stanislauce

Post Number: 1
I have a 58in. Panasonic plasma.Onkyo TXSR605 reciever, onkyo SKS-HT240 speakers. A 80gb.PS3 and dishnetwork VIP722HD dvr. all hooked up via 1.3 HDMI cables.when I play a multichannel cd or a sacd from the ps3 I get no surround sound.the settings on the ps3 is set for liner PCM auto config. I am new to home audio!and bought on cnet reviews.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 312
The issue may just be in the setup of your receiver. Is it in surround mode ? Have you configured the speaker settings properly ? Take a peak through the manual and it should lay all that out for you.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1273
PS3 is not a SACD or DVD/A player. You are listening to the CD tracks that are recorded on the SACDs. That is why you don't get multichannel from a multi channel SACD.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2926
Sorry but I must disagree with Chris. According to:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

your model of PS3 should be able to support SACD. The only models of PS3 that don't support SACD are the 3rd generation 40GB models (mine, in other words:-(). The easy way to check if your model plays SACD is if it has the SACD logo printed on the side of the unit.

Note that the PS3 has to be configured correctly to output multichannel to the TXSR605. This means that the audio output must be via HDMI for DRM reasons (as I understand it). Also ensure that the audio settings are set so that it will output 5.1 88khz and 2ch 176.4 (but check the Onkyo handbook about the latter).

Finally, I'm not sure but I believe the PS3 can only output SACD in uncompressed PCM. That said, try the bitstream option too and see what happens.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1274
My apologies. Sony does not make any indication on their main page about SACD playback. I had to dig through the PS3 knowledge base to get the info. Kinda stupid for Sony to hide features.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us