Bi-Wiring Yamaha RX 797 Stereo Receiver

Username: Teej777

Post Number: 1
Hey guys
I just picked up a Yamaha RX 797 stereo receiver and Yamaha NS 777 tower speakers. The speakers are bi-wirable. I am running the receiver in Speakers A& B mode, Connecting both the low frequencies to the Speaker B terminals and the highs to the Speaker A terminals in the receiver. I feel that there has been a real improvement- tighter bass and clear highs. Is this bad for the amp? The speakers are 6 Ohms and as per the instructions on the receiver I can run A&B speakers together only if the Ohms is not less than 8. My question is, if i do not crank up the volume too much,will my amp be ok ?
I hope my question is clear?
Thanks

Teej

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9764
TJ, the bi-wiring on the speakers will greatly alter the load that the receiver sees, good or bad, so the 6 ohm rating is out the window.
In fact it already meant very little anyhow.
If your receiver will run the load without shutting down, that is one thing, but mind the temperature of the receiver. Not too hot, or the lifespan of the thing will be compromised at the least.
If it ever shuts down, then change your usage.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12255

" ... the bi-wiring on the speakers will greatly alter the load that the receiver sees ... "

How's it do that?

Post Number: 2
Thanks a ton Nuck. Will keep an eye on the heat generated.
Just another point, when I Bi-wire in the A+B Speaker mode ('A' terminals driving both the highs and 'B' terminals driving both the base) are the speakers actually in parallel connection or series?
(I was reading through the Yamaha NS 777 speaker user manual and they reccomend connecting the speakers bi-wired with the receiver in the A+B mode.Is there a chance that they have designed the Yamaha receivers accordingly???)
Sorry if am being a pain.

Cheers

TJ

Gold Member

Post Number: 9774
Geez, the button is NO, not YES TO POST.
I know I was thinking bi-amp.
Sorry TJ, but the heat thing is right.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 645
Just out of curiosity Jan or Nuck, how would running the amp in this configuration lower the impedance too much? Wouldn't bi-wiring A+B really be the same as running A+B with 2 different sets of speakers?

TJ - I have the same receiver in my secondary system. As much as people malign Yamaha gear, I really don't mind mine.

Post Number: 3
Hey David
Bi-wiring A+B is the same as running A+B with 2 different sets of speakers. BUT as per the manual of my receiver, I am not supposed to go below 8 Ohms if i am using A+B speakers. My speakers (YAMAHA NS 777) are 6 Ohms hence the worry.

I agree that the Yam RX 797 is not too bad at all. The THD is one of the lowest in receivers in this price range.
cheers

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 650
I'm running PSB Alpha's on A (6 Ohms) and Tannoy Mercury MX4's on B (8 Ohms). No issues.

Post Number: 4
cool... looks like am gonna stick to my current set up!

Username: 519sledr

Post Number: 1
Why not twist the wires together and connect them to your A's. This is the setup I ran with my NAD 7100/2100/Paradigm Esprit Monitors and achieved very good results.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10137
Ev, the load presented to the amp is different in other configurations.
Simply paralleling the connections induces a very low ipedence level to the amp, and *may* be a different load than connecting A&B.
I do not recommend running paralled outputs from an amp.
Even though your set is fine, man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us