Advice on surround sound system

Username: Kraze412

Post Number: 1
I'm currently looking for a surround sound system. I am just looking for a receiver and speakers. I have a 46" Sony LCD and am using a PS3 for the blu-ray player. My current budget is around $1200-$1300. I went to a local Home theatre store and they offered me a package which consists of a receiver Denon AVR-1908 and speakers SLS EG5000 for about $1300. I'm just curious to know if those are a good set to get or if i could get something a little better for the money. I'm currently using 2 HDMI cables, 1 from hd cable box to TV and 1 from the ps3 to the TV. I also want to find a receiver that will play DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD for future wise. I've heard good things about the Onkyo TX-SR605 as well but not sure what else is good for the money.
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Username: Mr_home_theater

Margaritaville, Florida USA

Post Number: 9
where do you live im selling a system for that price that cost over 2000.00

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2697
Are your prices INSANE!!!!?

Post Number: 2
in houston,tx

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2698
Crazy Eddie's prices are INSANE!!!

That brings me back to the 80's. Here's what I mean -

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg6iFTfqKo0

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10150
We will sell you the whole seat, but you will only need 'The Edge'!

Roll the monster trucks!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2903
Rodney,

The TX-SR605 is nice because it's as future-proofed as you're going to get at the price. It supports all the video and audio formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Currently there's nothing else at the price which does this.

That said, you will not be using the extra facilities it provides with the PS3. The PS3 cannot stream out TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA (the new high res blu-ray audio formats). It has to send them out as Uncompressed PCM. This is not as bad as it sounds. Uncompressed PCM is exactly the same quality as you get from the other formats, just unpacked before sending to the AV receiver.

The PS3 has a fabulous picture via Blu-ray, truly first class. The only way to benefit from both the full HD video of Blu-ray and the high res Uncompressed PCM output of the PS3 is via the HDMI interface. So - you need to go HDMI out of the PS3 into the TX-SR605 and then HDMI out of the AV receiver into the TV. You may as well do the same with your HD cable box in order to take advantage of the HD definition from that. This means two more HDMI cables of course...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info Frank! I have all the HDMI cables that are needed for my HD cable box as well as PS3. That's how it is currently set up now. Everything is connected via HDMI. The only thing missing is my surround sound system. I was planning on purchasing my system this weekend. At the moment I believe i'll go with the Onkyo TX-SR605 and as for the speakers not too sure yet,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us