Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V Receiver

Username: Parpac316

Post Number: 4
Anyone have any experience with this receiver? I am looking to hook up my dvd player and directv hd-dvr box to it via HDMI and then HMDI to my TV. Would this be the best receiver to go with around $350? I am going to buy the Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series III home entertainment speaker system to go with it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2781
Mike,

It's a good receiver, and the most future-proofed receiver at the price. It has good power levels and can prove to be the hub of a high res Blu-ray system since it can cope with the high res audio from that format. There isn't another receiver that does this at this price yet, although I'm sure someone is bound to come out with something soon. Onkyo really stole the march on everybody else at this price level and gained significant market traction in Europe because of this particular model.

Now, do you have to go with Bose? It's OK stuff I guess, with a pleasant inoffensive sound, but it's not really going to really show you the capabilities of the 605. There are better brands out there, though possibly not as pretty...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 48
Michael,

you might want to peruse this site:

http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Username: Jvigne

Post Number: 5
Pairing the Onkyo with Bose is like placing a square "wheel" on a car. Don't do it.

Username: Red_warrior

Wauseon, OH United States

Post Number: 3
I do have a question for Bill if you was to tell a friend about speakers what would you tell them to look out for? What speaker would you recommend for them to buy?

I am glad that someone has put there foot forward and let the people know about BOSE"S SYSTEM.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 56
John,

Your choice of speakers will hinge on two things: your $350 budget and your usage (movies/tv vs. music).

I get the feeling you are mainly interested in HT, and with a $350 budget I'd recommend the Athena LS-500s ($380 shipped from audioadvisor.com).

If you were more music-oriented, the Ascend Acoustics cbm-170se would be a good bet. (ascendacoustics.com)

Both speakers would go well with the Onkyo; the Athenas have a higher sensitivity and a more forward sound with a larger soundstage which is ideal for larger rooms. The Ascends give a more neutral and balanced sound which is ideal for music, especially jazz and classical or vocal-dominant music.

Post Number: 4
I should have told you that MY WIFE listens to CD's day and night and I like my HD TV.

We also enjoy DVD which is also a HD player.

So now that I explain myself better which Speaker would you chose?

Oh I did forget one thing I enjoy TALK RADIO.

Post Number: 5
I guss that I should have stated my room size 13' X 18'. Not a BIG ROOM

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 57
Another way to go is a pair of bookshelf speakers and a cheap sub for the HT. The Athena 4100 sub and LS-100 speakers at the same site should be just under $400. Later on you can add their LSC-100 center speaker if budget allows.

Post Number: 6
How about looking at the Reveiver post that I up up and gave me some advise on that Topic and than look at the speaker that would go with that unit?

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 58
No offense, but with a limited budget and with your intended usage, to be honest I doubt it particularly matters "what goes with what." As long as you stay away from Bose and Sony and other obvious junk like that, you'll be fine.

IMHO a lot of the audio advice given on this forum assumes that you are going to be doing a lot of critical music listening, i.e. intently listening to music for hours at a time in a very conscious, analytical manner. Most people, myself included, rarely do that; they are just looking for something that sounds GOOD not EXQUISITE, something that doesn't do a lot of things glaringly wrong. In which case bang for the buck and the law of diminishing returns should be the main criteria, not audiophile minutae.

If you give me a total maximum budget for the whole shebang I can give you some specific recs. Also, the type of music your wife mainly listens to and the genre of movies that you mainly watch, would be helpful.

Post Number: 7
I have party will made my mind up on the ONKYO TXSR-605 Receiver and am looking to have a very good speaker system at around $400.00. My biggest question is does anyone make a CD PLUS DVD Changer that hold 5 Disk in HD?

You ask what type of music my wife listens to GOSPEL.

You ask what Movies we which movies with Lott's of ACTION in them as will as comedy.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 59
Gospel = vocal dominant, Action flicks = deep bass that only a subwoofer can do.

For $400 your best bet is that Athena LS-100/LSC-100/ASP-4100sub 3.1 setup I mentioned; you might even be able to throw in a pair of their smaller LS-50 surround speakers and stay close to your budget.

Post Number: 8
Bill

If you was with me and we was going to buy the speakers and you was to guild me what would you put me in if we was going buy quality speaker? We was only buying 2 to get started with than we would add to them?

I belive that this is the best way to go, and still get quality speakers.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 60
In that case I'd get the Ascend CBM-170s, and live without getting deep bass for a while.

Or, if I wanted something closer to a full-range speaker immediately, I'd get either the Athena LS-500 for $380 shipped or this Acoustech HT-75:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bic-Acoustech-HT-75-Tower-Speakers-1-Pair_W0QQitemZ140220917 532QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a good thread on the Acoustechs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990726

Post Number: 9
You say that the Ascend CBM-170 is a very good speaker for it money?

I had people tell me that you should buy a speaker that runs from $1000 to $1500 they tell me that I am cheap when I am looking at this price range. I tell them to buy them for me and they just laugh

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 61
Ascend makes some of the most versatile (good for music as well as HT) speakers with exceptional bang for the buck. AV123.com's Onix XL-S series is another good one to look at too though they won't have quite the neutrality and detail of the Ascends but more of a warmer laid back sound that some music listeners prefer.

Do a Google search for reviews of these speakers, or look them up on audioreview.com

$1000-1500 speakers are great but you'd need equally expensive electronics (amp & source) to really get the most out of them, and as I said before, frankly most people who don't do critical music listening would just be pissing money away on them especially if the bulk of your usage is HT.

The drawback of getting advice from audiophiles is that they often foolishly assume that you are also interested in becoming an audiophile too, when the truth is that most people are simply interested in getting the best sound they can find within their budget or their needs.

Post Number: 10
I like the way you state things here and they are truly the Truth.

Why kid yourself into buying the TOP END SPEAKERS when you will never get the use out of them. The middle of the road speakers are just as good for what I am using them for.

I am not going to have a movie house where you have everyone come over and party.

But still would like to have something to sat back too and enjoy.

So with that said I need to have you check out the Receivers that I was looking at so I can be one happy camper.

I only which I knew when the NEW MODELS come out to see what they are offering in them, or will they put the older ones on sell and you can get a better deal.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 62
I wouldn't worry too much about the latest-greatest formats and gizmos in the newest receivers either, nor would I particularly care to run all of my video components (cable, vid games, dvd, pvr, etc.) through the receiver---just the sound outputs of those components, and connect all video components directly into the TV.

You have to understand that the audio industry, just like the computer industry, has a vested interest in making people constantly upgrade their gear by periodically introducing new overhyped formats and gizmos which actually offer only minor noticeable improvements, if any.

The Onkyo 605 should be fine for your needs. A Marantz 4001 or 5001 would probably give you better music sound quality but wouldn't be as easy to use and Onkyo does have a pretty solid rep for reliability. Look at the receivers at accessories4less.com for great deals on refurbed receivers from both companies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us