Is there a reason why a DVD player can't sound as good a CD player?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1871
Do you see an inherent problem with Redbook CD playback when using a DVD/universal player? Generally speaking, might a higher-end DVD/universal player ($1K+) outperform an entry-level (sub $500) or even a mid-level (less than $1K) priced CD player?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2740
Anything is possible Chris. I haven't directly compared too many universal players to redbook CD players because I don't have much interest. The ones I have compared didn't fare well to CD players costing half the universal player's price. I've compared a few NAD's and Arcams against their own CD players. I've also compared my DVD player (Denon 1930 CI) against my NAD 523 changer and Apollo. The Denon costed about $500 I think. The 10 year old 523 mopped the floor with it.

As to why CD players may sound better, James Tanner (Bryston's VP) had this to say -

"During our research on the CD Player we found that many of the DVD drives we looked at are optimized for video playback and had "clocking" frequencies that were not a multiple of the CD standard of 44.1. As a result they have to 'processes' the digital signal to a much greater extent to play a CD.

I think this is why many people feel CD dedicated players usually sound better than DVD players playing a CD."

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12697

It really comes down to what the manufacturer wants to do at a specific price point. Stock universal units are the domain of the mass market companies. Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc, have all proven in the past they are capable of producing good sounding audio components capable of withstanding comparison to more elite brands. But most of those companies have no longer have the desire to build the sort of product you describe, Chris - at least not for the US market. Regardless of what they are capable of building they still fall back to what they do best - which is load the unit up with features to sell. That makes your question more like, can a $1k universal full of useless features sound as good on Redbook playback as a purpose built high end CD player at a lower price?

The money must come from somewhere and the mass market guys always place an emphasis on appealing to the front face plate/remote control sales techniques to set their products apart. In the end they settle for a middle of the road performance which, in the case of universals, tends to be heavy on video performance and features. Music really is a lost medium for the mass market companies.

Take that stock mass market player and give to to a modifier or a specialty company and the performance can go up but so will the price. So my answer to your question would be that, yes, the performance of a universal can be as good or better than a dedicated Redbook unit. But it won't happen at a reasonably close price comparison. It is too bad the hi-rez formats died so quickly since there would have been greater development of the playback gear. As is, I doubt we'll ever see the sort of player that really is competitive on all formats and is not out of reach for most listeners.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10285
I thought the Classe trans dac was hea dand shoulders above my Pioneer yadda yadda cheapo, till I heard just on particular DVD concert,
'Hell freezes Over' is great on my Pioneer. 100$.
On the Pioneer's dac's.
Hey, what can I say? Just feels great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1873
"As to why CD players may sound better, James Tanner (Bryston's VP) had this to say -

"During our research on the CD Player we found that many of the DVD drives we looked at are optimized for video playback and had "clocking" frequencies that were not a multiple of the CD standard of 44.1. As a result they have to 'processes' the digital signal to a much greater extent to play a CD."

That sounds like a reasonable answer, if in fact it's true.

This question stems from a back & forth Frank & I had here https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/485222.html .

Basically, I was making a point that a discounted $1000 DVD/universal player, in this case the Marantz DV7600, might be a better choice than an entry-level CD player, solely as it relates to 2-channel playback.

My thinking is that the DV7600 has many features of the higher-end Marantz CD players, and as long as the ability to playback DVDs does not interfere with Redbook CD playback, it represents a good value.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10288
Now I got it, CM.
That sounds like a reasonable answer, if in fact it's true.

Who's gonna step up?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10289
Can a Blue ray player do the trick?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1874
Now that the latest video format war is over we might find that out http://us.marantz.com/Products/2393.asp .

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10293
CM, you are quick.
How about stereo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1875
How'bout it?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 979
Very nice.

Kinda a steep price, though.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1604
Brystons statement is also true when it comes to DVD players, CD-Roms of computers as well.

I recently heard the new Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player through an all NAD combo with MA speakers, and thought the blu ray player did quite well playing two channel material.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 981
I found the same thing when auditioning my MA's - they played a CD through the Pioneer Elite BDP and a Yamaha receiver. Sounded good enough that I bought the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1605
Indeed. Still can't see a blu ray player being as good as a dedicated player due to points made in Jan's post.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 982
Agreed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us