NAD T163 Intermittent Video output failure

Username: Jdub555

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
For some time the front tpanel VFL display will go out after being on for
> 5 - 10 minutes. On Screen Display still functions.
>
> Now the Monitor out has intermittently failed - no
> source/input changes made just "out of the blue" the TV goes blue screen.
> Power down for half day and restart and everything works fine for 35
> minutes then with no intervention fails again. Is this firmware? Anyone experience this type of failure - thanks much

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 84
is this component being cooked?
Sounds like something is heating up.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Most likely correct - my dealer thinks it is a connect in the video card that is opening when warm - only repair center apparantly in Canada is Lenbrook in Ontario and repair will be very big $$$ - oh the joy of high end audio!
Any possibility of me having a looksee myself?? is this a very bad idea or could the bad sodder be visually apparent and possible to fix??
Thoughts?
Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 119
If this component is expendable, go ahead and open her up. If NOT, than leave this kind of repair to the pros.
At the very least, you would need a good, low-wattage soldering iron, a solder-sucker and some solder wick. Good quality Rosen core solder...NEVER ACID core on electronics and other goodies which are routine on any techs bench.
One technique involves using a can of 'cold' to find bad connections.
In other words, Do Not Try this at home!

Figure repair costs vs replacement costs.

I had a TV go out on me. Cost about 275$ US to fix a bunch of cold solder joints and replace a chip or 2.

Make sure your equipment area is well ventilated.
I still think you are cooking your equipment.

Silver Member
Username: John_ashman

Albuquerque, NM United States

Post Number: 216
Joel, try just leaving that product on. I know that is counter intuitive, but I've found that as some of these units age, one of the circuit boards has issues and they often work fine as long as they are left on all the time. Of course, that can be a pain as someone will accidentally turn it off, then you're back to square one. But they are hard to service, hence the cost. The new ones were designed to both avoid the problem and make any that occur far easier to fix.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks John - I'll give that a go and see if any change. Heard that static e can actually affect the boards as well. added noise filters and isolated the power from other units - no change.
Project power amp leave on begins!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us