Outlaw monoblock to power subwoofer?

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 215
Hi guys, I was wondering if I can use the outlaw monoblock amplifier (200RMSx1) to power a subwoofer. This is decently priced and seems fitting for the job.

If you don't think this is a good idea, is there any more recommendations? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 158
Look at the back of one of the plate amps included in powered subs.
Can you match those features?
Can you match the features of a good HT receiver for bass management?
A pair of the outlaws driving a Duel Voice Coil (DVC) sub may be the ticket, if you can solve the other problems.

Planning on a little DIY, are we?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 781
I've heard of people using the 2200 for this task. I used to own a 2200 myself, it's a solid piece of gear - built like a tank.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12401

I would have to agree with LS here, what you use depends on what you need to get the job done. Outlaw monoblocks certainly have the power and capacity to drive most reasonable subwoofers. But they lack versatility when compared to an equally priced plate amp. For the price of the Outlaw you could be looking at even higher power from a class D plate amp along with some room correction facilities such as twin band parametric EQ. The plate amp is more or less designed to do its specific function, which is to drive low frequencies into a sensible load. The Outlaw has been designed for full range repsonse and you're throwing most of that away when you limit it to subwoofer duty. If this is intended for a system without DSP technology for LFE, how will you set levels and high/low pass filters?

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
You guys bring up some good points. I've been looking at the "LT" series of plate amplifiers from Elemental Designs. They seem to be packed full of all of the nice features that a plate amplifier should have, and at affordable prices. Any thoughts on these amplifiers? here is a link to them: http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_106

They seem very nice, custom made to fit the companies needs. What do you guys think?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12404

http://www.oaudio.com/index.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Jan, my stereo receiver doesn't have a 'sub out', for this amplifier you showed me, would it automatically filter out the higher frequencies?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12407

Does your amplifier have speaker outputs? If so, this will work. How were you planning to hook up the other plate amp?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 163
Does your receiver have pre-outs?

Some subs feature stereo RCA ins...mine does.
I run it from the preamp outs of my integrated.

My main speakers run full-range and my subs x-over handles the low-pass duties.
And, even though it works well,
My personal bias runs against another 15 or 20 feet of speaker wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Jan, looking at this 500W BASH amplifier, there are no speaker inputs. There is a RCA line input and output. I guess my question really is.. do I need a sub out for the BASH amplifier? I know with the other one, it has speaker inputs and it also has the line in / outputs for convenience.

Here is a picture of the BASH amplifier I'm referring to:
http://www.oaudio.com/sitebuilder/images/amp_control_descrip_1-826x655.jpg

And here is a picture of the plate amp:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/gallery/312_large.jpg

The plate amplifier I was referring to seems to have more options.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
leo stierer:

My receiver is an AKAI AM-A70.. it has no type of outputs as far as I know. It has RCA inputs for Phono, Tuner, CD, and Vdisc.

Then, it has another column next to it that says Tape 1, with RCA females labeled "Rec" and "Play", followed by another of the same labeled Tape 2.

The only type of output I see here is labeled "Monitor Out".

HOWEVER, I have an AKAI EA-A2 equalizer, and it has many outputs. So heres what I think I can do.

From my CD player, I feed it into the sub's line inputs. From there, I feed the equalizer's line inputs, and lastly I would feed the amplifiers line inputs. Resulting in unequalized bass, and equalized speakers.

It sounds good on paper, what do you guys think?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12410

"From my CD player, I feed it into the sub's line inputs."

There's no volume control between the CD player and the sub.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 165
What you refer to are all fixed level outs.

Use the speaker in/out on the sub.

It is actually a minor problem to wire this way, unless the best location for the sub is far from the main speakers....not likely, but possible. Others can advise on correct wire size, since I always massively overdo it and can't be trusted for this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
I suppose that is a good point, although there is a volume control on the plate amp.

So my best bet is to get more speaker wire and hook it to the plate amp, and run my speakers from the sub? That seems more practical since the receiver would still have control of the signal and volume.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12411

"I suppose that is a good point, although there is a volume control on the plate amp."

That level control is meant only for your initial set up. If you use it as the sub's actual "volume control", you will have to adjust it every time you adjust the volume on the receiver by tracking it along with the level of the main speakers. You'll get tired of that routine the first afternoon.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 166
One more minor point in the choice of a plate amp::
Make sure the variable x-over frequency goes low enough. One of the plate amps pictured, above goes down to 50hz. Not bad for most stand mount monitors, but for a speaker that goes to the mid 30's that may be too high.
Think about this prior to plunking down the cash.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 786
You don't think 50 is low enough Leo? I run both of mine at the bottom (50hz) and it sounds good to me.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 167
My HSU x-over has a lower indicated limit of 30hz. I run it at under 50, and may turn it to 45 or lower as an experiment.
My speakers are running full-range without any LF cut. I want to minimize overlap so the sub only works in the lowest register.

Considerations:
How low do your speakers go?
Will you continue to run them full range?
What kind of bass management do you have?

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
I suppose I'm in luck, I have AKAI SR-LA301 speakers, on the speaker is posted a response curve that begins its peak directly around 50Hz. Not that I would really mind the overlap..

I wouldn't argue if someone called me a 'basshead'. I like warm sounding receivers / speakers but I also like a lot of bass. My speakers are 3" tweeters, 4" midrange and 12" woofers [floorstanders], but I'm looking to add a bit more punch and warmth to the whole system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us