£300 to spend a a tube amp please

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 630
I know diddly zilch all about tube amps. I've heard of some makes, mostly Jolida.

I'm looking to experience some tube sound and would rather go completely tube than hybrid.

Could I have advice on some reputable tube amps for my budget of £300/$600. I'm guessing american money will buy more tube amp than equivalent British money will.

What features should I look for/look to avoid?
What kind of power am I going to need?

I have monitor audio br2 speakers. I listen to a big mix of music.

Thanks,
JJ

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12006

Do you want an intergated amplifier or a basic power amplifier? Most intergateds in this price range will have a"passive" pre amp. If you advance the volume control to full rotation you will essentially take the vc out of the circuit and can run such an integrated as a basic power amp relying on a separate pre amp to control volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
I will definately need your help on this one. To be totally honest Im not sure I even need a pre amp, would you mind explaining what one essentially does? Is it necessary?
I currently have a solid state integrated from ca. Its detailed, fairly powerful, looks ok. But its bright, bass is flimsy and it doesnt have style. I think the music is too forward with this amp.

Would you advise just a power amp or an integrated. Bare in mind I dont have a cdp as a source just a decent soundcard so I dont know how strong the signal is compared to a cdp going to a preamp.

A separate power and pre amp would be very expensive, over my budget I take it.. I sit very close to my speakers, central, so need something that pushes the soundstage back (a laid back warm amp?).

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12008

A "pre amplifier" is also called a "control amplifier" since it provides controls for the system; volume, balance, source selection, etc. I would suggest an integrated amplifier for your needs. An integrated amplifier combines a pre amp/control amp on one chassis with a power amplifier.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what fits your budget. Not only am I unfamiliar with how much you can buy in England for your money, but I have no idea what is available to you.

I would be somewhat hesitant to recommend a tube based integrated for what I assume is the amount of money you have to spend. Almost everything I would expect you to be able to afford would come from China. While there are some very good values coming out of the Chinese manufacturing market (PrimaLuna for one), there are large numbers of worthless pieces of junk also. Too many of these companies are simply cashing in on the Dollar/yuan value and selling products that will not have a company to warrant their service in a year's time. It's very possible you could have a rather expensive paper weight if the product you purchase should decide to break with no one to fix it.

Additionally, tubes are a bit more complicted than solid state when it comes to maintenance. Not to insult you, but, if you don't know what a pre amp is, then I would not recommend a jump into vacuum tubes. If you are dedicated to this idea, I would suggest you stay in a hybrid tube/solid state amplifier. Put tubes in the pre amplifier section of the integrated amplifier and have transistors or FET's in the power amplifier. I don't know if either brand is available to you but you might try either Vincent or Unico products for such an amplifier. Both are European made and probably have a cost advantage in England.

Otherwise, I would suggest you need to indentify the problem units in your system and address them individually. From your description I tend to think you have issues that a simple amplifier swap won't fully address.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1016
JJ,

Plus you would have much drama over the shipping rates form China.

There are some good, main low voltage amps out there, which fit your needs.

Google search. Once you find something you think can work, validate it. It will probably take ten times the effort to validate it and you may end up passing on several good products.

However it is better to pass on an unknown than get stuck paying for a useless component as Jan cautions above.

Lastly, Nuck is very happy with his Chinese near field tube amp. Give him a shout.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4780
JJ I can understand.

I am happy with a PrimaLuna PL2, but it cost three times more.

In the UK, the Affordable Valve Company and Icon Audio may offer better value -- I don't know.

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/

http://www.affordablevalvecompany.com/

If you can, take a look at the thread, here, Tube Talk

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9560
Mengyue is a brand worth looking into.
However! You should budget for better tubes right out of the box. Sovtek make replacements for most.
An amp in this range will use something like an EL34 tube which is limited in power, but very full and pleasant.

Username: Patrick_at_glow_info

Post Number: 1
It is so nice to see this revival of interest in tube amps. I went "tube" about 5 years ago, and to me there is no debate... a good tube amp sounds the best.
I am now co-founder of a company called GLOW AUDIO, of El Paso, TX and we have just introduced the GLOW Amp One. It is a single ended design, point to point wired, using EL84 power tubes. It sells for under $500. We believe it is the best sounding amplifier you can get in this price range. It looks gorgeous, too. And it has a USB port for connecting to your computer! look us up at www.glow-audio.com
and feel free to drop me a line at info@glow-audio.com

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4784
Interesting, jay!

Thanks. See Tube Talk, too.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1019
Nuck, wouldn't shipping eat up the entire budget, much less funds for an amp or tubes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9563
It depends. Mike. The distributor is in FLA and they stock most items, so it is not a 'one off' purchase. The Chinese tubes are brutal.
The sovtek's are everything for my little 18w unit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
Thanks for all the replies. I havent been ignorant and not replied but for some reason my account was suspended weeks back and its only just been unsuspended.

Gotta rush so ttfn.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1219
Nuck, the tube amp I have is a mengyue mini. Where have you gotten your info on the company? I have tried many times with little results to find out more about this amp and the company. Although I have nothing to compare the sound to, it does sound pretty good. I agree the chinese tubes sound horrible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9734
I got it from a-gon, CL. I had a little email to confirm the shipping, but I havnt looked for a while and dumped the mail.
We have the same mini, 18wps from the EL34's.
I swapped regular Svetlana's and I am very happy I did.
$70 cdn to my door from tubedepot.com

It works well and distorts in a linear fashion when things get rowdy.
I was using it nearfield before, a larger space now, but with a predictable FRSD speaker, it is working very well.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 126
There are more and more reasonably priced and quality tube amps on the market. I just order one from a relative newcomer Vista Audio. There is also a company called Tecon, which makes a couple of models under $1000, one with a USB input. Decware still has units under $1000, but only the 3 wpc variety, which makes speaker matching a tad more challenging.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us