Cambridge Audio 640A vs. Onkyo A9555

Bronze Member
Username: Fagen

Post Number: 19
Which of the 2 amps have a warmer sound?

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 121
I'd choose: c) None of the above
So what did I win?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10176
fagen, that is as loadeda question as anyone could ask.
Which one delivers the best similarities of real live music to you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Not sure yet, Nuck. That's why I'm inquiring. I haven't auditioned the Onkyo yet. The 640 wasn't too bad to my ears, although it kinda lacked some warmth. I was just looking to see what other decent budget amps there were besides NAD and Rotel.

I could use some suggestions for something around 75-85w/ch to drive my NHT Superzeros (with the North Creek crossover upgrade). My ol' Arcam Delta 290 is on it's final months. I'm particular about having a headphone jack and (defeatable) tone controls. I know that makes some of you cringe, but that's my choice.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1485
In my personal experience I thought Onkyo is warmer than Cambridge. But who knows, maybe it was the speakers, or the room. I have never heard a CA setup sound warm to me at all. Rotel is definitely not warm. Your Arcam was probably a nice warm sounding amp. Why not look at an entry level Arcam Integrated?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6842
Forget a remote and listen to the Rega Brio...it sounds more like music than either of them...to my ears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1487
I would completely agree with that. My ears would take the Brio over both as well.

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 122
For what it's worth, they tested the Onkyo against other digital amps and they seem to favor it, only the Trends T amp is liked better.
(Chris H. provided the link in the thread "Audio Context")
http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

Stereophile had a very favorable review as well and describe the sound as "warm"
http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

Quote: And, to use another audiophile point of reference, I can also describe the sound of the A-9555 as being "tube-like."

The A-9555's tonal balance was close to neutral--no part of the spectrum was unduly emphasized or neglected. There was perhaps just a touch of warmth to the sound (hence the descriptor tube-like), and the highs were slightly on the soft side (more so when the stock rather than the HiFi-Tuning fuse was installed)

If I had to choose between the two, without having the opportunity to audition them, I'd probably choose the Onkyo.}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Yep, it's heading towards the Onkyo more and more. I actually learned about it through the Stereophile review...and I shall now consider it for the future unless NAD comes up with another "breakthrough" integrated (which I doubt) before my Delta 290 finally gives-in.

The "stereomojo" link was also an interesting read, considering what the Onkyo was up against.

Nout...with that last post, you certainly made-up for the first one and actually won something: my gratitude.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1489
"unless NAD comes up with another "breakthrough" integrated (which I doubt) before my Delta 290 finally gives-in. "

A lot of people, including Stereophile, are claiming that the new NAD 315bee is a breakthrough, and a new benchmark for entry level hi-fi. I would seriously give it a listening to before buying the Onkyo. Just make sure your not going to need more power than it can provide.Cheers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6845
I would agree with that. I've listened to the little 315BEE and it's pretty good. I would again say to try the Brio 3 as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1491
Oh yeah for sure, I agree with Art. If it were me, and again, everyone's ears are different. I would be auditioning the Rega Brio3 and the NAD 315bee.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
...just when I thought I was done here.

Sure, I'll give the NAD a listen as well. I really can't consider the Brio cuz of my preferences (see above)...but with all due respect to Rega, I already have the RB300 tonearm on another system. I've already owned around 4 NADs in my lifetime, starting with the 3020 back then (I now have a L40 CD Receiver in my bedroom)...The Delta 290's already on it's 12th year, and with the suggestions heading back to the 315, I'm thinking..."Here I go again with another NAD!" I wonder...

Anyway, here are the specs for my speakers. For a small pair, they are very power-hungry (is it the low sensitivity?)...and the 290 is rated at 75w/ch. I usually have the volume at around 2:00-2:30 when I watch dvd's.

NHT SuperZero: two-way, acoustic-suspension minimonitor. Drive-units: 4.5" paper-cone woofer, 1" soft-dome tweeter. Frequency response: 85Hz-25kHz, ±3dB. Crossover frequency & slopes: 2.2kHz, 6 and 12dB/octave. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 7.5 ohms minimum. Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m. Power handling: 100W maximum, 15W minimum.

Will the 315 be up to the task? I'm aware they're usually more powerful than what's on paper, but I still don't know in this case. Maybe NAD might put out a more powerful amp based on the 315, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
"Maybe NAD might put out a more powerful amp based on the 315, but I guess that remains to be seen."

Already done bud.

The 355bee was just released. Based on the same technology as the 315bee but with 80 watts X 2.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C355BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amp lifier

Gold Member

Post Number: 1493
I would ask yourself Fagen. What turned you away from NAD in the first place? Although their new stuff has greatly improved, perhaps the presentation of NAD is just not for you. Worth an audition, yes. But don't count out anything. Listen to as much as you can.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6846
What is it about your preferences that makes the Brio impossible? You can get a cheap headphone amp and the Brio has nothing but defeatable tone controls...in fact it has no tone controls...(the best kind)!

Bronze Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 70
i just got a nad 272 myself with a nad pre. i found it a little warm and very musical.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Where I'm from, the Brio isn't available anyway...so that's that! If ever some dealer brings it in, I'll give it a listen...Why not?

As for the NAD355, now that is news!

Thanks, guys!

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

CA

Post Number: 49
Fagen - I lived with the NHT Super Zero speakers for about 4 years. You are right - they do demand the power. I was using HK stereo receiver(85 Wpc) at first, then later Arcam FMJ A32 (100 Wpc). In both cases, the Super Zero's used a lot of the available juice! So - - I could say with some certainty that the NAD315BEE would come up short of your expectations just because of the relatively low sensitivity of the NHT's - - 86db. On the other hand, the new NAD855BEE might work just fine. You should listen first however and make sure. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hi Walt.....Yes, I was apprehensive about the 315bee coming up short for the same reasons you stated. I wasn't aware that the 355bee already came out, so I'm definitely considering it if/when my Arcam gives in. I'm in no hurry to switch amps for now but it's nice to know what's out there just in case.

Good to hear from another Superzero owner. I've had mine for about a decade already, and I only did the North Creek upgrade recently...but better late than never. With the depressing gas/food prices lately, these power-hungry speakers really improved to a point where I don't have to consider anything else for a long time (knock on wood)...so thanks for your feedback.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us