Have NAD T752... use NAD 216THX too?

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 15
This is a double post that I put under amps too but thought it was applicable here as well... let me know what you all think I value your opinions.

So here's a question for you folks. I have the T752 and am wondering if using the 216 for the front two channels with 120 watts (I think thats the spec) will make any sort of difference over the t752 already fairly powerful 80 watts. I realize that it takes alot of watts to make any noticable sound difference but was thinking that it might be easier on the receiver to let a dedicated amp do the fronts? I am kinda deciding between this and a dvd audio player. John A would probably tell me to go for the dvd audio but since I've never heard it, its hard to say what i'd like better. Any and all comments appreciated! Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 162
It will definitely make a big difference. It's not necessary the power, but the sound quality of a dedicated power amp. NAD AVRs have good power amp sections if compared to most others, but I still think that a separate amp will be a great addition to your system.

If you're happy with the sound of your system you might want to think about the DVD-A player, but I think you should compare (preferably at home) both those updates before selecting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Yes, I really want to try both of these things out in my home. However, for me to do that, it looks like I'll just have to buy both and then sell the one I don't want. There are no dealers around here that offer a decent selection of higher end stuff. The place that sells NAD where I feel in love with the T752 doesn't have many power amps let alone the 216 that has been discontinued. I think i'll buy it from the guy who is offering it to me, give it a listen to see if I think it makes a big enough difference. If not, I think I can get exactly what i'm paying for it by selling it to someone else. So in a way its like an in home demo... sorta...

As for DVD Audio, I think i'll just wait awhile on that. The prices of players keep coming down especially on the ones that were $2000 a few years back are now available for 150-300 range. We'll see how much money I have later in the year.

As before, please feel free to post your opinion if you think I'm making a mistake by going for the amp first.

Jace

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 35
Unless your speakers are difficult to drive I doubt you will notice a difference with the new amp. I'd put my money elsewhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thats something that I forgot to mention that I guess would make a big impact. Thanks for reminding me Kevin. My speakers are PSB Image 6Ts which are quite efficient at 93 dB but they do present a 6 ohm nominal and 4ohm minimum load. Does that change your opinion at all or you still think the T752 would be up for handling it just fine? Thanks. Jace

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 318
I would tend to agree with landroval. Any time you use a dedicated power amp instead of a receiver, the difference in sound quality is typically very noticable. With the T752, it isn't a requirement as it already sounds wonderful...but if you have the money laying around collecting dust, it certainly won't hurt anything. I am guessing that you would notice a big jump up in sound quality if you use the separate amp.

That being said, your T752 should have plenty of power to drive those PSB Image 6T's. The T752 is able to handle 4 ohm loads with ease...so the 6 ohm PSB's should be no problem.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1129
oknessaD,

As you suggest, I would anticipate an immediate and very noticable improvement with DVD-A, and maybe a marginal one from ungrading the amp. I understand, of course, that DVD-A is still a fairly new format, and you have to think whether you want to buy a new sort of disc. Since you already have 5.1, I assume, it might be worth getting DVD-A disc or two, and playing them in DTS mode - the T752 will do that very well. Then see what you think. I would say DTS is very roughly halfway to DVD-A, everything else being equal. But DTS is 5.1 only, which makes comparison with CD difficult.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
then my question for you Johnny would be... which jump in sound quality would be better? going to a seperate amp for the front speakers or buying a capable dvd audio player such as the CA azur 540d or the NAD T533 or a few others I've been looking at? From what I hear about DVD-A its a good thing. Unfortunately I have no where to hear it and I can't demo it in my home so I'd probably be buying it sight unseen and sell it if I don't like it. Thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
" ungrading" -> "upgrading". Sorry about that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Good plan John A. I will probably buy a couple dvd audio discs with a DTS track on them. (or do they all have them?) That way I can check it out and see if its for me. I do think the amp will make a difference but as you say a marginal one... Maybe something for down the road when I get the upgrade itch again. Thanks for your help and inputs everyone. I'll keep you posted on what my decision (if any) is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
oknessa,

"I will probably buy a couple dvd audio discs with a DTS track on them. (or do they all have them?)"

Yes, they all have DTS. I do not know of any exception. If in doubt, check the label. You may also be able to get a 2-channel output from the disc and player, but it will be downmix of the Dolby 5.1, and nothing special.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 319
oknessaD,

I think I will have to defer to John A. on this one. He is the resident "expert" on DVD-A. I don't have much experience with it. I don't have a DVD-A player, and have only heard it very briefly at a demo station at my local Best Buy. I would tend to trust John's judgment. He has spent considerable time listening to and reporting about DVD-A. As he elluded to though, keep in mind that on top of the DVD-A player you will have to make a large investment in DVD-A disks as well. Good Luck!!!!

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 320
John A.,

I just noticed, you are now over 1000 posts. Congratulations!! I always wondered what one had to do to become a "Gold Member"...and I am not speaking of the most recent "Austin Powers" movie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
Johnny,

Thanks! I worry people will begin to think I know what I am talking about. My Rantz also alluded to the Austin Powers connection, on another thread. I don't know so much about metals, but I always thought silver was a bit harder than gold...

I think I passed the post with all my manic posts about DVD-A, after I bought the NAD T533. It really is something. People who consider sound quality should know about DVD-A, try it, then decide for themselves. That's all I say!

Username: Lkng

Post Number: 5
oknessaD,
I have the same setup as you (NAD T752, PSB Image 6T, 8C) and thinking about adding two Outlaw M-Block to my front speakers also.

To others that have NAD recievers,
What's the volume setting do you use? I have to turn it all the way up to -10dB in surround mode, and -15dB in stereo mode to get the speakers going. Is this typical of all NAD reciever? (I use 14-G bi wire on the front speakers, a cheap 60$ cyber home DVD player). May be I should upgrade my DVD player?

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 324
Luke,

That sounds pretty close to where I have to turn my T762 to to get a good sound (I have PSB 2B's as mains and a 9C center). My usualy listening level for movies is about -15 to -25 depending on the movie. My room is also pretty small so I don't require a lot of volume. Don't worry about what volume number you are at...that NAD will provide more power than you will likely ever need.

As for getting the separate amps to power the front speakers, see John A's post above from May 19, 12:30pm. If you go the route he suggests, it would help with your "cheap $60 DVD player" issue as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 37
If you do buy an external amp and compare it to the 752, be sure to level match with a SPL meter when doing comparisons. Going from the 752 to an external NAD amp I doubt you would hear a difference if you properly perform the test. You speakers are not that tough of a load so the 752's power supply should be able to easily drive them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I have to turn my T752 up to about the levels you were speaking of to get a level of sound that I enjoy. However, as others have said, I don't think the NAD is struggling at all.

I am still contemplating getting a DVD-audio player but now my problem if you see the post "got nad t752... back it goes" is my sub seems to be responsible for some hum and noise in my system. I am still working on this problem but if I can't figure that out, the sub will end up on ebay and a new one will be on the way... Hopefully one from SVS if I can afford it. I'm considering the PCi25-31 i believe is the model.

mikey
Unregistered guest
Your best improvement as far as hooking up an external amp would be to biamp. Using the speaker's built in crossovers with the T752 driving the high-end and the 216 driving the low-end will yield an effective 200 watts per channel. Using an active crossover ahead of the amp and eliminating the speaker passive crossovers yields an effective 400 watts per channel (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm), a difference you will really notice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Thats a good suggestion. I thank everyone for their replies but I decided to go with DVD Audio instead as I thought it would be a more discernable step up in audio quality. More power will come much later down the line when i have more money...
Jace

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
oknessaD,

"more discernable step up" is understatement. You will see....

I think you have seen the thread NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio. I link it here for anyone who is interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us