Cartridge downforce adjustment

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 72
OK I finally got my Pro-Ject turntable, my first audiophile (albeit entry-level) turntable. And I'm a little confused as to exactly how to adjust the tonearm counterweight.

The instructions say to adjust it until the armtube "...balances out. The arm should return to the balanced position if it is moved up or down."

I'm doing this with the armlift down, and the arm in between the rest and the platter. But what exactly does "balance out" mean? Does it mean in a level (horizontal) position, or perhaps the first point at which it touches the support lever? It seems that when I adjust it using either of these, the downforce is too light, and when I raise the arm when playing a record, the arm skates way back towards the rest, even with the anti-skate weight on. Any heavier, and it's just resting on the support, so it all seems the same after that. But at least it doesn't skate when raised.

Where's the sweet spot?

Thanks for any advice.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2583
Joe,

Yes it means balanced out until horizontal. The armlift has to be down so the arm has full range of movement. When it's adjusted so the arm balances horizontally, there is abolsutely no downforce applied at the cartridge end.

Once you've done this you then need to dial in the recommended tracking force. So if your cartridge wants 1.75gm dial that in using either the gauge on the counterweight or some kind of stylus force gauge. After that you need to set the anti-skate. The way I prefer to set anti-skate is to find a record with a wide unmodulated centre section where the elad out groove is, and with the correct stylus force set, lower the arm between the grooves of the lead out section. For correct anti-skate, the arm should just stay stationary until the lead-out groove picks it up.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11874

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 73
Gotcha, it makes sens now, no thanks to the German-translated instructions. I balanced it horizontally, set the marker to zero, then dialed in the recommended force of 17.5 mN, as recommended by Ortofon.

The anti-skating then worked fine when adjusted to the instruction's specs.

Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us