Got a preamp, still no music.

Username: R_ruark

Post Number: 1
I recently recieved an old Sony turntable and realized it needed a preamp. Installed the preamp, but the only input into the stereo is "MD input". Does anyone know if a turntable can even be used in an MD input? If so, why isn't this working? The needle makes music but it doesn't come out of stereo.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11846

"MD" stands for MiniDisc and cannot function as a phono input without the addition of an outboard pre amp. Look through the archives of this section for suggestions on reasonably priced phono pre amps.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9413
RR, why is the only input for the stereo for Music Disc? Is it a mini/dedicated small system?

Username: R_ruark

Post Number: 2
Jan Vigne, i bought and hooked up a stereo/phono pre amp and can still only here sounds from the needle. I'm doing this to get my girlfriend's cheap sony stereo to play her uncles old turntable. Do you have any suggestions besides getting a stereo with more than just and MD input?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11848

What kind of pre amp? Something you know works OK? If so, ...

Old turntables often don't have a stylus left on the cantilever. Remove the stylus assembly and look for a diamond tip. The shank that holds the stylus in place is not enough; there must be a real stylus tip. It sounds as if that might be what you're missing. If this doesn't solve the problem, take the table to a shop that sells equipment to DJ's. They'll be able to inspect the table and give a solution after seeing what's there and what isn't.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us