Pre-Amps

Username: Freestylepsycho

Post Number: 1
I am pretty new to this subject so bear with me.

I am currently looking to buy some speakers a super amp and a pre-amp, the speakers will be about 150watt each so that is why I am getting a super amp as well, I presume this is the best choice?

Ok, a few questions.

If I buy a Pre-amp does it need a preout connection to go to the super amp or is it possible to attach it via another connection on it?

Is it better to get an intergrated amplifier and use it as a preamp therefore meaning I could run the speakers just off it?

Does the Wattage of the Preamp matter?

If I am only using the Preamp so I can attach multiple sources to it does it matter about the other outputs?

Will the Preamp start to distort the signal of the source if it isn't powerful enough or will the super amp just compensate for it?

Does the amount of OHMs the speaker run at have to be the same as the amps or does it not matter?

I think that is it, I am guessing most of them are stupid questions, but I would rather get the opinions of people who know what there talking about rather than buying something I don't want.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9410

Pre amps have no "watts" to concern yourself with.

What is a "super amp"?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4741
Alex, audio 101.
What the hell do you want to achieve?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4742
And if you post'I want lots of bass and clear highs with lots of volume', you had best decide what the hell you want to achieve. Really.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 231
Hook source to the preamp, hook preamp to power amp, hook speakers to power amp. You can't hook speakers to the preamp. Preamps have no "power". An intergrated amp is a preamp and a power amp in one case. I assume that you are talking about a power amp when you typed "super amp".

Gold Member

Post Number: 4744
Wile E. Coyote's amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4746
A nice receiver and speakers will suffice, I am sure.
Plus a Behringer amp.
And CV's.

Username: Freestylepsycho

Post Number: 2
Yeah I kind of wrote taht in a rush that is why it made little sence.

When I said pre-amp I meant an intergrated amp as you can attach one and then attach a power amp to it but do you need a preout port?
Also would the wattage of the intergrated amp matter to the sound quality if it was attached to a power amp?

Username: Fxstc

Phila, Pa Usa

Post Number: 2
alex I been play'en around with stuff for approx 35 years, I run A tri-amp system six mono blocks and
A 500 watt mono sub amp for a 18 inch summed low pass JBL. anyway's if your little intergrated amp
has pre/mains output jacks you can just about run any amp that you like, useing the the pre out L & R output jacks will have zero nothing to due with the power amp section of your inergrated amp

you can also use the power amp section of your inergated amp also with out useing it's internal preamp section, this is not a bad way to upgrade
that way you can build on it as your money allows you to as time go's by and your girl or other half stops houtt'en and raise'en hell, or do what I do slip it in the house in the middle of the night, then when she spots it I say huh come'on thats 3 years old you don't remember,note it don't always work, sick with the same color metal
finishs use a little spray dust.....good luck

if u run into mixed uop hookup blonbers give me a kick back i'll fax u a dig hookup, nobody wants to take the time today where all in ahurry to go nowhere

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11772

PMc - It's only been a year since this thread was active. Aren't you sort of rushing into things here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us