NAD C162 preamp vs T752 receiver

Username: Sbagot

, Nj

Post Number: 5
I have a NAD C272 amp paired with a NAD T752 receiver doing the duties of a preamp. Connected to these are a pair of PSB Stratus Silveri and PSB 5i sub. This system is used for music only. If the receiver is replaced by a C162 preamp will there be a notable improvement in sound ?.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11558

Probably. It's difficult to tell you yes or no since we know very little about the other pieces of the puzzle. In general separates are designed and constructed to a higher quality level than a receiver. This should give the pre amp the edge in sound quality. What you hear is yet to be determined.

, Nj

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your comments. What other pieces to the puzzle are you refering to ?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11566

First, I'd ask what sort of music do you hear when you go to a live concert. Listening to live music what do you take home in your memory to use as a reference for your home system? What components of live music does your current system match well and which are not as successful? With what types of music is the system most successful? Why do you believe a new NAD pre amp will make a difference in these areas? Can you audition this unit before you purchase? What sources do you use and how do they stack up to your live reference? Have you considered any other brands or system improvements? Any room treatments? In short, what is your motivation for adding this pre amp other than you just wondered if you could have better sound quality?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9013
C'mon, Sam.
Very important questions there..well, at least some.
Dyin' to get your point of view.

, Nj

Post Number: 7
I have gone very few live performances. In terms of sound quality relative to live music, my system does not come close to what I heard at any event I attended. I like to listen to contempory jazz fusion. Artist like George Duke, Michael Franks, Fourplay, Diana Krall and other similar artists. I have my system set up in my living room which is 24' x 14' x 8' It has wood floors a 10 x 7 area rug and the usual cloth covered furniture. As persently configured my system sounds ok but I would not compare it to live music. My source is a Nad C542 CD player. The reason I pose my questions is beacuse I read that the NAD C162 preamp is the perfect mate to the C272 Amp and if I could notable improve the the sound for about $500.00 I would. I cannot audition the C162 preamp before buying so this is why I really want to hear your opinions.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11604

OK. So, you have no live music reference. That means what sounds "good" is whatever you wish it to be album by album and song by song.

I won't swear all high end equipment aims for a pretense toward live music - hopefully at least something the designer felt was the essence of live music rather than "hifi", but I would like to think that is what most designers strive to achieve as they design better and better gear. If you have no reference other than what's in your head for any one song, then you will likely have a difficult time finding a consistent improvement in your system.

That doesn't mean you won't hear better sound reproduction out of a superior component but that I doubt you'll hear a significant "improvement" with the change you propose. If you had the opportunity to audition this product before you parted with cash, I would say give it a try. As is, I would suggest you pass on this component until you have a better idea of what you wish to improve.

My suggestion would be to listen to your system with a critical ear for what it does well and what it does less than well. If you can use a reference of live music, I find that the most successful way to build a system. Aim for what sounds like live music in some form or another. Attend some performances, there are numerous free to very cheap venues for live jazz, and soak in what live music does and sounds like. Then think about how your system needs to change to come closer to that sound. Knowing what you need to improve and having some idea how to do that improvement will mean you spend far less money on needless purchases pursuing something you don't even know how to get. All your audio purchases should be made with a consistent attempt to get closer to live sound. Or, so I would like to think.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 643
I couldnt agree more. I dont think Sam will hear a significant improvement with the 162.

Sam- I think you should save your pennies, get a better idea of the kind of sound you want, obviously the NAD sound isn't doing it for you, if your looking to upgrade. Sam I am in the same situation as you right now. I too, am looking for a better two channel solution. My system kicks butt on movies, but im finding myself listening to music 65 percent of the time now. I had a chance to upgrade to a big NAD pre amp but decided I need to get away from my listening habits, and try some new gear. When people upgrade components they have the problem of just trying to improve the sound based on the sound their system produces. Ive decided this week to start on a better CD player, tonight im bringing home a Rega Apollo and a Arcam cd192. My dealer wants me to bring home for the week a Bryston power amp he will lend me for the test. I can just upgrade to a better NAD cd player, and get a improvement on what I already hear, or get a full improvement with a much better sound all together. Its your choice though. Think of it as a long term investment. If you spend 600 dollars now just to say in 8 months you want to spend more than thats a bad investment. Spend a little extra and get something you can live with for many years to come. Just my opinion. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us