Help with looking for a new reciever

I just posted this within another string, but here it goes again..........

I am looking at buying a new reciever and would like some opinions. Here's the facts:

Speakers:

Front Polk R30's (2way ported towers)...45Hz-24kHz, 8ohm, 150w, 3/4" dome tweeter and 6.5" woofer

Rear Polk R15's (2way bookshelf)...60Hz-24kHz, 8ohm, 100w, 3/4" dome tweeter and 5.25" woofer

Center Polk CS175i (2way ported center)...55Hz-22kHz, 8ohm, 100w, 3/4" dome tweeter, 5.25" woofer

Sub Polk PSW202 (ported powered sub)...40Hz-200Hz, 100w max (50w RMS), 10" long throw driver

now, on to what i want:

minimum 3 digital inputs [xbox(optical), digital cable(coax), dvd(currently coax, soon to purchase one w/optical)

component in/out (at least 2 in and 1 out) (don't have HD yet, but will soon)

svideo in/out (at least 3 in and 1 out) (for use with current tv w/svideo inputs

DD and DTS minimum (DPL II is preferred, but not necessary) (5.1 or 6.1 is okay, but not necessary, cause i will have to buy more speakers for it anyway)

6ch audio in preferred, no plans for dvd audio or sacd right now, but who knows about in the future

a/b speakers preferred, but by no means a factor in my decision (i have enough other stereos)

here's what i'm looking at:

HK 125-not really in the front running right now
Denon 1603-looks feasible (online for $200)
Onkyo 501-can get at local store for $250...definate posibility
Yamaha 530-available at local store for ~$250 (this model really talked up by salesman, not sure about his motives, but i'm always skeptical of salesmen)

key information:
i'm a cheap bas tard. always looking for a deal. want good stuff at excellent price. (for example, paid less than $500 for all of those polk speakers brand new). I'm not into impressing my friends or annoying the neighbors. I want good clean sound while paying as little as possible. i have listened to some friends HK and onkyo recievers and like them, but the sound diference between the $300 and the $600 models aren't worth the extra money in my book. someday i'll buy some really, really nice stuff, but i'm poor right now. i'm not into buying something just for it's name, but i will take reputation into consideration. i dont care that i have the lower end polk speakers, they sound pretty good to me, but with my super-crappy reciever...i feel i can make them sound much better. any ideas????

Anonymous
I was running almost the same set-up with the Onkyo 600 and was quite satisfied. Then got some extra $, sold it and went up to the next level (HK with NHT). Now that the 601 is out, you might get some good deals on the 600. From your posting "i'm a cheap bas tard" this would be just right for you.

Enjoy!

THE LIZARD
IF I WERE YOU AND CHEAP IS MY GUIDELINE I WOULD LOOK FOR A USED RECEIVER ONLINE (EBAY/AUDIOGON) OR BUY A RECEIVER MODEL FROM A YEAR OR TWO AGO.MOST NEW RECEIVERS ACCOMODATE THE DVD-A AND SACD FORMATS WITH NOT DIFFERENCE THAN THE RECEIVERS FROM A YEAR OR TWO AGO.FOR INSTANCE I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH AN ORIGINAL SONY 777ES OR A DENON 3802 FOR A GOOD USED PRICE.FOR YOUR SETUP I WOULD RECCOMEND A MARANTZ 4200 OR THE YAMAHA RXV-800 ARE 2 PLUS YEARS OLD.

Hawk
Brian:

I appreciate your honesty and giving us oracles of good sound the ground-rules.

Actually, the difference between the $300 receiver and the $600 receiver is far more than you think, and you would hear the difference after you had lived with it a while. For example, the Denon 1603 has only one amplifier driving all six channels, not six separate amplifiers as you would find in the Denon 1803, its bigger brother. The next step up also uses a better power supply and better parts which can better interpret all those 1s and 0s which make up digitally encoded source material. So it does make a difference.

So what can you do? Well, the answer is buy a factory refurbished model from an authorized outlet. Right now, I would recommend two receivers for your Polks.

My first choice is a Marantz 5200 from Accessories 4 Less (accessories4less.com) for $329. I would prefer a 5300 for $20 more, but they are out right now. The Marantz has a very silky sound that would work great with your Polks. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

My second choice is to get a Denon 1803 from eCost.com for $299. The Denon is a little dry compared to the Marantz (I have a Denon myself), but it is a good product and the sound is very clean and focused. Denon refurbs come with only a 90 day warranty, but you can buy a 1 year warranty for only $19.95, which runs after the 90 days. I bought mine this way and it has been a real bargain.

I auditioned the all of the receivers you listed and these are the two I would recommend instead. I could definitely hear an improvement and by buying a refurb, you are getting the improved models for the price of the lower quality units.

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us