Technics SL-5300 spins too fast

Username: Fahy6879

Orange, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Today, in the middle of a track, my Technics SL-5300 started spinning really fast, over 100 rpm.
There is a posting in the archive about a similar problem with a Technics SL-J3. The response said "replace C208 on the motor PCB". Would this also apply to my 5300? If so, how would I do this? Where would I get the part?
Thanks?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10620

Part numbers are specicifc to each component. If you don't know how to replace a part, you are far better off allowing a qualified technican do the work. Take the table in to a repair shop.

Orange, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks.
Can anyone recommend a turntable repair shop in Orange County, CA?

Orange, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I discovered accidentally that if I unplugged the turntable from power for about a minute and then plugged it back in, it would work for about 10 minutes and then go fast again. I also realized that I had moved it from one power strip to another just before all this started. So tonight I plugged it back into the original power strip and it has been working fine all evening.
Does that make any sense?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10622

No. The capacitor is probably failing and it will eventually revert to its poor behavior. Use it until then since a tech cannot repair something that isn't defective.

Username: Jens2007

Denmark

Post Number: 1
It seems to be a common problem among owners.
You've got a problem with the servo control system. There is a magnet in the platter, as it passes a coil it creates a signal which is used to control motor speed. If that signal doesn't make it to the motor, it thinks the platter is stopped and tries to speed the platter up. It could be as simple as a disconnected sensor, but it could mean either the sensor or the motor control is bad. In this case it is must likely just three cold solderings caused by the vibrations from the direct drive platter. You must open the turntable and tjek these three solderings which are placed on a board under the motor. If the the solderings are cold then just resolder and WOW the problem is solved. That's it ! By the if you've got a mnual i would love to have a copy because I have an SL-5200 which has been resoldered.
jens

Orange, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the tip about the solder points. I removed the base and it is not clear where there solder points might be. I took a picure of it and posted it at http://www1.chapman.edu/~fahy/motor.jpg
I also removed the platter and took a picure from that side which you can see at http://www1.chapman.edu/~fahy/platter.jpg
Can you point me to what I should be looking for?

Thanks

Username: Jens2007

Denmark

Post Number: 2
the more than 10 thin cableconnector is soldered on a booard and behind the solderings of the connestor is three solderings which probbably has gone cold. Resolder the three solderings and the problem should have been solved. from jens2007
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us