Big Amp to small Yamaha Speakers?

Duujo
Unregistered guest
I've got two little yamaha speakers from a Micro system, and want to buy an amp that will be your usual multi hundred watt amp, but I want to know if I can hook up these little 15 - 30 watt (not sure exactly what they are) speakers without blowing them up.
Is it as simple as keeping the volume low?
I quite in over my head as far as this stuff goes. I'll be hooking my PowerBook G4 into the amp, and using these little speakers as my amatuerish "monitors". (i may also hook up some bigger 30 watt speakers to the rear channels so I can choose which speakers I have for different instances - eg. monitoring music, or just playing CD's loud)
Any help greatly appeciated!

Username: Gman

Post Number: 112
Not the best match around. The ohms for micro system speakers and matching to their original amps are usually a bit peculiar and most often don't do well when coupled with more substantial amplification.

You can try it at very low level and gradually bring the volume up until you hear distortion. If you are unlucky--the speaker may get fried. Then again, you probably won't be losing much.

Why are you buying a powerful amp for this set-up? Like putting a 350 HP engine inside a YUGO.

I would go to a Mac link and discuss what people there are using for a surround system, or a stereo system that can be upgraded to surround when you want to. DealMac has links for just this kind of situation.

Duujo
Unregistered guest
..But wouldn't it be funny to see a YUGO tearing around the streets with a 350 HP engine in it!.. :-)

Thanks for the advice and link Gregory..

The reason I want to buy a good amp is so I have something to build a better system around in the future - I would like to use those little speakers 'cause they vaguely resemble monitors, and therefore will be a bit of a novelty, and also would be small enough to sit on my desk.

I got them for free, so it would be cool if I could put them to some use (apart from book ends on a shelf :-) I was told by the guy who gave them to me that they aren't too bad sounding (as far as little pissy speakers go) 'cause the box they contained in is wooden.

Any other good links people have that may be handy would be appreciated.
Thanks

Duujo
Unregistered guest
Oops! Just realised I've posted this in a totally inappropriate area. Sorry everyone..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us