DVD HDMI to DTV with HDMI converter

Username: Kmgiamei

Post Number: 1
I have an older model flat screen tv - it does NOT have an HDMI connection. I bought a Sony dvd player with HDMI connection. I then bought an HDMI to DTV converter. I hooked the DTV converter with the HDMI cord attached to the tv then put the other end of the HDMI cord into the dvd player. I can get picture but no sound.

I know you usually use the DTV thing on the back of the tv for a pC but that is not what I am doing.

How can I get the sound to work using the TV speakers? I do not have a stereo reciever....

I am about to give up and return the dvd player unless there is an easy solution. I don't want to buy a newer tv just yet.

Username: Kmgiamei

Post Number: 2
sorry i meant DVI to HDMI...not DTV

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18013

Sorry but I'm a bit confused regarding the actual hookup. So, your TV has a DVI input? But, not HDMI? OK, DVI's were not that common on consumer grade TV's but I'll go with that connection. This is a consumer level Sony TV, right?

Since there would appear to be no intermediary receiver or processing system involved, the best bet is to check the TV's menu system. First, I would check whether the TV's internal speakers are switched "on". (That should also switch the TV to "variable" output which can then be controlled by the TV's volume control systems, in essence, your remote control. Check the function of the volume control system by raising and lowering the levels via your remote while you are watching another source; antenna, cable/satellite, etc. I'm guessing you already have sound through the TV speakers for your other sources but I'll include the directions here just in case.

If that doesn't get you sound, check the "input assignment" system of the TV and found in its menu system. This would typically be in the "settings" portion of the menu. Set the TV to recognize the DVI input - this will probably be listed as a specific video input number; video 1, video 2, etc. Check for any switches in the menu that might indicate the TV needs to recognize the DVI rather than, say, the S-video/RCA input option for any specific input.

Normally, that should get sound through your TV's internal speakers. There's a vague possibility you might also have to do assignment of outputs at your DVD player to get sound out at the player. However that probably shouldn't be the case here. Most DVD players simply recognize the HDMI as the default output.

If that work doesn't get sound through the TV, check back. There's not much more that should require a change at this point.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3224
I'm not sure that ANY DVI carried audio. Could be wrong, but ????

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18016

DVI by itself is only video. A HDMI to DVI converter though must have the capacity to split the audio from the video of the HDMI cable. That means there should be two RCA outputs for the audio when you are using a HDMI to DVI converter. I suppose someone could mistakenly ignore those connectors but, that would be rather difficult IMO.

DVI is a far more common connector used almost exclusively in the "pro" video fields. I've only seen the connector on a very small handful of consumer grade monitors and those were rather pricey sets. If the monitor being used is a pro version from Sony, then there probably aren't any built in speakers. I have to assume the op has the knowledge to recognize where there are, or aren't, speakers in her monitor. I might be assuming too much.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us