12-16 ohm High impedance speakers

Username: Hydrophilic

Post Number: 1
I am looking for 12-16 ohm bookshelf speakers for the "B" channel of my 15 year-old Denon AVR 600. I have 8 ohm speakers hooked up now and will be upgrading the main speakers with a 5.1 system so I want to correct this problem with the B speakers now before causing damage to the receiver. I can't seem to find anything but 8 ohm speakers. Can anyone suggest a source where I can buy 12-16 ohm bookshelf size speakers? Alternatively, can I install something cheaper between the receiver and speakers to increase the impedance and keep my speakers? Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17559

Selecting speakers based on any single technical value is not a great way to get good sound. High impedance speakers are not very common today. As direct coupled solid state amps have replaced transformer coupled tube amps, speaker designers have adopted their designs to the requirements of transistors which tend to work best into an 8 Ohm load.

There is a small market for tube friendly speakers which tend toward higher impedance values. However, 12-16 Ohm speakers are still somewhat rare. Try PartsExpress for more suggestions regarding speakers.

My suggestion would be to use a speaker selector switch box which includes a "protection" device. Such a device normally places a large value power resistor in line with the speakers which raises the overall load on the amplifier. You could also use autoformer based devices which are much higher quality than a simple resistor thrown in line. Higher quality also means higher price but greater safety for the receiver. I'm assuming these additional speakers will be located in another room away from the main system. In such an installation you could use either an autoformer based switch box or just a simple autoformer coupled volume control for that set of speakers.

PartsExpress sells both types of devices and can also offer further advice on which will best suit your system requirements and how to proceed with the installation.

Username: Hydrophilic

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick response. Would this work to solve my problem?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-304

If so , what jumper settings would I use to increase the impedance from 8 to 12-16?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17560

That would work if your system set up lends itself to using volumes controls. The draw back to simple vc's in the location of the speakers would be they are always "on" unless you physically go to that room to disengage them from the speaker output. You do apparently have an "A/B" switch on the Denon? If so, just hit the switch to disengage the speakers. If that works for you, these should provide a level of safety for the Denon. What switch setting you would use would depend on the speakers they were controlling. Speakers are not simply one impedance. The actual load on the amplifier changes with frequency. You would want to know the lowest impedance point of your main speakers and the lowest impedance point of your new speakers. The vc should come with instructions for calculating the proper setting fot the vc's jumpers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us