Best cartridge for pro-ject debut lll

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 102
am thinking my TT can use a new cartridge to replace the otofon 5E any thoughts?
TT=project debut III

thanks
malco

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2026
malco,

It depends on a lot of factors.

Are you sure everything is set up correctly -
Cartrigde and arm adjustments
Isloation and placement

What phono pre-amp do you have? MM only or also MC?

What don't you like about the current cartridge?

What type of sound are you looking for, beyond the typical 'clear highs, natural mids, and deep bass' that just about everyone seeks?

What type of music do you listen to?

Is your current table a stepping stone to a better table, or do you plan on keeping it for a long time?

Do you have any other upgrades in the system - ie speed controller, mat

How much are you planning on spending?

Turntables are probably the most sensitive component in the system. Anything being slightly off can change the sound, mostly for the worse. I'd rule out other things before spending money on correcting what may not be the cartridge's fault.

That being said, your cartridge is allegedly somewhat of an outdated design.

While the Debut is a very good table for the money (I had one for a little while), its still a budget entry level deck. There's only so much you can get out of the arm and table.

Music Hall tables are similar in that they use the same tonearms and a few other parts. They come fitted from the factory with Goldring cartridges, which work very well on their tables. A dealer I know carries Music Hall tables over Pro-Ject as their entry level tables soley due to better stock cartridges. They feel Pro-Ject tables are better overall, but most entry level table shoppers will either keep the table the way it is for a very long time, or will move on to better tables.

Anyway, Grado, Goldring, and Ortofon (non OM sreies) are all the usual reccomendations, and for good reason.

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 103
thanks stu.
it is just that i have had TT for over two years and felt that maybe i could use a new cartridge.
i am not sure how many hours one can get out of one.is there a typical number of hours that a cartridge should be used before the sound becomes less than optimal?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2290
Not as many as you'd wish. For low end cartridges like this it's typically between 2 and 3 years' worth. If heavily used, as little as 1 year. Higher end cartridges get longer lives (5 - 6 years). The OM series of cartridges is as low as it gets, and the 5 is the lowest in that range.

You have three options here. Replace the stylus with the same again. Replace the stylus with a better one within the OM range, or replace the complete cartridge. My opinion is that a cartridge replacement would be preferable. If you quite like the results you get now then an OM stylus will do you. If you fancy somethign a bit better go for a better cartridge. Ortofon's new 2m range (currently just two cartridges - red and blue) works well and isn't going to break the bank. The competitors to this that I rate are the new Goldring 2000 series and the long standing Grado Prestige series. I would not go any higher than that since the limitations of the deck will hold everything back then.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 104
thanks frank.yes the cartridge is just starting to sound not as sharp as it did.i intend to keep my TT for the foreseeable future.so i will go with the grado.....thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5177
I had the Grado Blue and it is a very nice sounding cartridge...full midrange and not a bit bright.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us