Just Bought a NAD C372

Username: Mitchum

Post Number: 1
Still in the box, will open it and install it this weekend. Any comments as to what I should expect from it?

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 39
Years of listening pleasure...

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 146
A lovely full and warm sound. At first you may find it a bit thick sounding but as it opens up you'll become addicted to the fatigue-free listening experience. It'll make you hate bright hifi once you've got used to it.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 147
A lovely full and warm sound. At first you may find it a bit thick sounding but as it opens up you'll become addicted to the fatigue-free listening experience. It'll make you hate bright hifi once you've got used to it.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm counting the hours 'til Saturday (when I get to try my new toy!)
Should I be concerned about my speakers? a have three pairs attached to a Niles speaker controller. I might be getting new speakers also (if the Bose towers I currently have don't do the NAD justice)

I may ask you guys for advice on speakers at a later date.

asal73
Unregistered guest
Bose speakers are poo.

Don't wire 3 sets of speakers to your amp - that isn't the audiophile way. Plus you'll make your amp very unhappy and shorten it's life...

Buy one decent pair..

I have the NAD C370.. it's lovely.. sounds poo for first few days though.. I do believe in burn-in...

Post Number: 3
Okay Asal73,

So, how do I carry music to three different rooms in my house with one pair of speakers?

I am not an expert on audio, so please help! I don't want to risk the integrity of my new NAD 372 but I don't want to do away with sound in the other two rooms either.

What do I do?????

HELP!!!!!

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 153
Get a speaker switch, connect the three (or more) pairs of loudspeakers to that and then switch to whichever pair you want to listen to. You'll only be able to listen to one pair at a time though. Alternatively, you can connect two pairs to the back of the amp and listen to one or both pairs simultaneously by switching the speakers a & b button on the front of the amp.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Sun King, but how do department stores for instance get to play the same music throught out the entire store? They obviously have more than one pair of overhead speakers. Are they using a totally different kind of amplifier?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 163
I don't know what they're using to be honest but I'm sure it isn't a normal hifi amplifier.

Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 10
Most typical stereo amplifiers are not designed to drive multiple heavy speaker loads at the same time. Some do have two speaker outputs to facilitate listening in one or the other rooms - or for bi-wiring (driving the tweeter and the other speaker(s)in the same physical box separately by using the two sets of speaker wires to one speaker). A few amplifiers DO have sufficient horsepower to drive 3 or 4 sets of highly-efficient speakers at a low volume level by using a speaker selector box as one of the other guys mentioned. However, as stated in one of the other posts, if you wish to play at a normal or high level thru mulitple sets of speakers, you will need a different type of amplifier. Suggest you go to the Niles Audio website for more info on doing this.
http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/zr4630.html#specs

This website address shows a Niles receiver that will drive up to 6 sets of speakers at 30Watts each for background music:low-level listening.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 92
Mitchum

Stores play music throughout as background, not for critical listening pleasure. They usually use multi-zone amplifiers (robust but not especially good quality) which allows them to ensure the a uniform volume level in different parts of the store.

Some HiFi stores have all their speakers wired into a comparator. The problem with doing this is that what you are hearing is the combination of the CD/amp/comparator and speakers. Generally the comparators are built to last forever and with very little regard to best sound quality (they'd be very expensive if this was the case). Whatever, the comparator is adding its own flavour to the sound.

Once you have run in the amplifier (3 or 4 days of continuous music at low to medium levels of volume through one set of speakers), you can try an experiment. You have a Niles controller which is basically a domestic version of a comparator plus a couple of bits. Try playing the system with one set of speakers wired through the comparator. Then wire them direct into the amplifier and listen to the same tracks. If there's no difference, the Niles is very good and you can connect it in line with confidence. If, as I suspect, the Niles adds its own flavour to the detriment of the music, you have to choose between the convenience of the Niles and the quality of the sound. But you really must try this once the amp is run in, since when it's not run in it isn't delivering all the performance it can deliver and the results won't be as obvious.

Now the C372 has the ability to drive two sets of speakers. What you could do is drive your main set where you listen most critically as Speaker Set A and then wire in the other two speaker sets to the Niles and that to Speaker Set B on the amp. This would allow you to get the best quality from your main set and still give you the ability to drive the other rooms in your abode.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 23
Frank's suggestion sounds like the practical solution to me. Best of both worlds as he says. Should provide adequate volume and quality in the other rooms-just not as good as your main listening room.

Anonymous

i think you will find most of those restaraunts use a combo of parallel and series wiring to maintain the ohms and use stupidly efficient speakers to make the sound. the amps usually arent that special at all in terms of robustness in fact they are probably rolled off at the bottom end to save from heating up.

best way to have 3 rooms full of sound 3 amps, 3 sets of speakers maybe some kind of networked media center kind of thing going on in the non main rooms and run the data over cat5 or wireless.

unless you have bags of money multi rooms are a compromise of the worst kind so are multichannels but thats a whole other argument.

nice amp btw id love one and a c270 as well....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us