Tuner Help

Username: Raedeke

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 6
I'm looking for a tuner to go with a Denon PRA1000 preamp and a Rotel RB 956AX amp.

I like the looks of the older Sansui TU717, 919. But I'm a novice when it comes to how to pick a tuner.

I also like the idea of the new HD stations, but I see that being a year of two out before it's really worth it.

We listen to the local classical, Jazz and contemporary rock stations and am looking for something in the $250.00 range.

Any thoughts.
Thanks

Username: Raedeke

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 7
Oh and Yes I've read that a tuner is only as good as it's antenna, so I will be looking into that part of the equation. But I can imagine that there are thoughts on what makes a tuner better than another.

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 103
check with the stations you want to hear and confirm they broadcast HD.... if so, you may want to try this option

Sangean HDT-1
http://sangean.com/product.php?model=HDT-1

Username: Larraine

Tolono, Ill Champaign

Post Number: 1
I heard that in March 2007 that all the smaller lcd t v's will all have to have ditigal tuners in them. Can you help me on this.

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 104
digital TV uses an ATSC tuner for over-the-air digital television signals. It is not even remotely similar to HD Radio which requires an entirely different protocol.

In 2009, the existing analog TV system ( NTSC ) will be turned off and all over-the-air TV will be the new digital TV requiring an ATSC television tuner. This new cut-off date does not effect cable or satellite yet, so older TV sets hooked to cable or sat. will be ok, it's just the folks who receive their local programming over-the-air using the built in tuner in the TV and an antenna.

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 23
Rotel also makes an HD tuner home component but it is much pricier as compared to the Sangean model. Sangean is expected to come out with a new model this September. From what I have read, the current Sangean model has some user-friendly issues. I am surprised that JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Onkyo, etc are not producing hd tuners.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us