Home Audio CD Recorder vs. Computer Burner

Anonymous

Will there be any difference in sound quality in a cd burned on an audio recorder vs. one done on a home computer, assuming you use the same speed? To take it one step further, will there be any noticeable difference in a cd burned on a computer at 4x vs. one done at 16x or 32x?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 618
no, what matters is the sampling and bit rate. Recording speed is just that...how fast it can record the data onto your disk. Its more of a convenience.

Username: Dgb100

PA

Post Number: 9
Be careful though. The faster you record, the less complete the burns are and the less likely hood it will play on a different CD Player. It will also affect playback quality.

Username: Bleu_allen

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 6
I have found that home audio recorders that are used with digital audio blank disc tend to play on more equipment that the data only computer types. Just my experiece...very unscientific.

Good luck

turbodog
Unregistered guest
I also experienced many errors in CD copies recorded at 4X on Philips audio equipment, but OK at 2X. I since got rid of the Philips in favor of Sony. The Sony copies more reliably at 4X, but will only do so when copying an entire CD. Making a compilation CD has to be done at 1X.

If making a CD from a analog source, the audio-specific equipment will do a better job, unless you have a really good audio card in your PC. My wife got a new iMAC, and I was surprised at the reliability of it's audio CD burns, at 8x.

Bronze Member
Username: Gigondrums

Post Number: 11
I always thought that the audio card in a computer only affected the playback and not the recording of a cd on the computer.

Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 9
My HK cd burner does compilations at 2x speed. CDR26.

Username: Mike41047

Post Number: 1
After you've hooked up a cd recorder to a stereo receiver and plugged in your turntable into the receiver do you select "phono" or "tape" as the source (on the reveiver). The recorder (RCA 121) has no control to select the source to be recorded, other than analog, digital or optical.
With things hooked up this way is the receiver or the recorder acting as the "monitor" and not actually controlling the recording process?
Thanks for some clarification...
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9319
If you use a turntable then you use Phono as the source.

You will then set your CD recorder to analog.

Nothing is going to control the recording process but the recorder. Your receiver is just a conduit.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1585
Just to put things right...

Yes, there can be a difference with recorded CDs. Some CDs (not in the US usually) have copy protection in them which is a series of bad sectors which cause an ordinary CD player's error correction to come into play, but which really mess up a computer drive most of the time.

If you manage to record one of these, you will get a shorter play time. Also, you will more than likely get a better sounding CD since it doesn't have the crap in it!

You can get different results with different speeds too. I recall a particular brand of CD player saying that its player would not be able to play any CD-Rs recorded at more than 4X speed.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Ilovecables

Post Number: 2
I've personally found that cd's burned at higher rates sound thinner - for best results use 8X or less. If you don't care how it sounds, go as fast as you can!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us