Pre-amp advice

Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 1
I am looking for advice on upgrading my Pre-amp/Processor. I currently have an Adcom GSP-560 which is only Pro-Logic. I have recently upgraded my mian amp to a McIntosh MC7106 which is a great sounding amp. I've been looking around at new equipment and have been really underwhelmed, not completely sure why. I've listened to Arcam, Rotel, Anthem and B&K "Recievers" and found them very harsh, not musical. The channel separation is really nice, most likely due to the 5.1 or 7.1 DTS. But even after a trip home, I can tell that the Adcom 560 is simply much warmer and smoother and MUCH easier to listen to. I don't need the latest technology and would prefer to buy an older, higher end pre-amp/processor for at or under $1k. Where do I start?

The McIntosh MX-135 sounded great! I just can't justify the expense for me.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 878
Chris:

It is likely that in listening to the "receivers" you are mainly hearing the sonic signature of the amp sections and less that of the pre/pro section. However, since you like McIntosh (I am quite jealous there--superb stuff), and you love the sound of your Adcom, I would recommend two choices here. Both of these are in fact, new models, but I would suggest that they are every bit as good or better than anything older you might pick up at that price.

First, I would consider sticking with the Adcom brand. Check out audioadvisor.com and click on "Products", then click on "Home Theater Pre-amps". There you will find the Adcom GTP-860 for $999. Check it out. Now, if you want to save a few dimes, I suspect you can get the same Pre/pro from Kief's for about 20% off. Kief's has been an Adcom dealer for about 30 years and they have told me they really like this unit. Get the phone number off their website at www.kiefs.com and call Ed, the store manager. He can cut you a nice deal.

The other suggestion I have is from Outlaw Audio. These guys design HT products and then source them from China (who doesn't?) and they sell them internet-direct. You can find them at www.outlawaudio.com where they offer two pre/pros, the 970 and the 990. The 970 is $699 and the 990 is $1099, which straddles your price point, but you can look them over and see if one is compelling. Outlaw makes very good products with a 30 day home trial to see if you like them.

I hope this helps--good luck!

California

Post Number: 2
Hey thanks very much for your advice! I will definitely check out those sources.

I think a large part of my issues might be set-up. Some of these stores either set up really punchy and bright to show off movie effects or something. It just sounds harsh to me. I have thought about the Outlaw and I like the idea of the home trial. I think whatever I get, I am going to need to hear it properly set up and more likely in my home.

I've also seen a number of local retailers have stopped carrying the Adcom over the last several years. They cite several issues which seem to come from a change of ownership. Does anyone have any positive experience with a more current Adcom Pre/Pro?

I also just noted the McIntosh MX119...I might go for a slightly used one of those for even $2k or so (if that's even possible). I just don't see new or used ones anywhere on the web.

Thanks again,
Chris

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 884
Chris:

Check out this site:

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preatran

California

Post Number: 3
Anyone have an opinion of surround preamp / processors?

My current system includes M&K speakers driven with a 6x100W McIntosh 7106 Amp. I'd like to replace a dated Adcom GSP-560 processor, Dolby Pro-Logic. I am kind of narrowing down to the following options:
1. Used McIntosh MX-132 or so (5.1), hopefully around $2k
2. Used Krell Showcase 2 (5.1), maybe a little under $2k
3. Used B&K Reference 50.2 (7.1), $1.2k to $1.8k
4. New Adcom GTP-870, out in a few weeks, $2k

Music is my primary driver followed by Home Theater.

I've always liked McIntosh sound. Never heard a Krell. I've seen a number of systems pairing Mc, B&K, and Adcom with M&Ks. In the end, I know I will have to do some serious listening to decide, but I thought I'd ask for opinions here first. Any others I should consider?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3968
Sorry, Chris, no input for huge HT or multi channel.
However, you do have the makings of a great stereo there.
I went back to 2 channel with some good stuff(like you have) and need no more than 2 speakers.

2c
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us