Problem with DTS signal from CD player

Darwock
I have a Sony HT-BE1 receiver. I've found a use for every connection - USB to the PC, phono to the TV, optical to the PS2 and coax digital to my CD player.

Until today I only had regular CDs, but everything has been working fine, good clear sound from the CD player and DTS DVDs sounding fantastic through the PS2.

I ordered a DTS music CD to show off with, which I got this morning. The receiver is set to auto-select the format on both the digital inputs, but when I stick the CD in I only get static noise.

My first thought was that the CD player was too cheap (it's the cheapest I could get with a coax digital output)... but I tried the CD in the PS2 and it works perfect. Since the PS2 doesn't have any more decoding ability than the CD player, it can't be that.

Then I thought maybe coax digital cable can't carry the signal, but my friend has his DVD player hooked up that way.

Could be a faulty cable, but regular CDs play no bother.

That only leaves me with a problem with the receiver, but the auto-select works on the optical input...

Any ideas?

Phil Krewer
It probably is your CD player. I haven't tried a DTS cd in mine but I doubt that it would decode it, but not having tried it I can't say for sure. Your PS2 has DTS decoding capability, which is probably why it plays fine. I hope this helps.

Phil

Phil Krewer
Well, I did try a DD sound track that I had recorded from an earlier thread and it played fine in my CD player. But, my player has HDCD capability. Maybe that is the difference.

Phil

Darwock
But the PS2 doesn't have any decoding abillity either, it's all in the receiver. Everything I've read about DTS CDs states that all you need is a player with a digital output.

Phil Krewer
Well, you could try taking your cd to one of the local retailers and try playing it on what they have there. Maybe the same place you bought your equipment. I haven't really read anything about dts cds, but on some of my dts dvds it has a warning that you have to have a dts compatible dvd player and receiver. I don't know if this is really accurate or not.

Phil

Swap connections.

-h1pst3r

Darwock
The CD player only has coaxial. No digital output. It's very hard to find information on this but it seems like certain CD players (made by Philips and Marantz) just can't handle DTS bitstreams. No other players at that price have a coaxial output, so I'm screwed.

Phil Krewer
Well, not screwed, just play it in your PS2. Yeah, just out of curiousity I went out and bought a dts cd and it played fine in my cd player and it did say it should play with any cd player with a digital output. Phillips strikes again and the Marantz is most likely a repackaged Phillips since Marantz owns them. Same with their DVD players. Hopefully the merger with Denon will help them.

Good luck

Phil

Phil Krewer
BTW,

I don't know how much you paid, but if you could take it back you could probably pick up an open box HK FL8380 for about $150 at CC. It has a coax digital output. Just remember if you descide to do this make sure you ask the CC employee if what they have listed is their lowest price. The one I bought had a price of $180 but they sold it for the $150.

Phil

audio
Phil,

Philips used to own Marantz, now they own
minoroity part of it. Marantz Japan bought
51% of the Marantz company two years ago.

Phil Krewer
Thanks, For the correction, sys. Well I guess now the holding Company that takes care of Marantz et al now owns 30% of the shares of the holding company that is combined with Denon et al. At least that was the last report I heard about the merger.

Phil

Darwock,
Regular CD players do not play DTS Music CDs unless until it has the logo of DTS. Conventional CD players do not have it. Play this DTS Music disc in DVD Player and connect the DVD player to Receiver thru Coaxial or Fiber Optical Cable. If your Receiver has DTS logo in it, then it has the decoder so it should recognize the signal automatically. For playing CDs and DVDs with DTS recording, you need the decoder at both ends (player and receiver). Try and let me know.

Phil Krewer
Sam,

Actually he is right. The DTS cds state that they should play in any player with a digital ouput. My HK doesn't have a DTS logo and it played fine. He was just unlucky enough to buy one that didn't have the transfer rate to handle the extra bits. Go figure

Phil
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us