Technics SL-Q2 turntable problems.

Username: Dustin

Post Number: 1
I am having problems with my Technics SL-Q2 direct drive turntable. I have it hooked up to a Sansui 9090db stereo reciever. The first problem is whenever I play a record, on my stereo's power output meters, the left side always seems to put out more power. Compansating with the balance knob corrects this. I have always speculated that because the needle is always riding on the left side of a record groove, that would be the cause for the power outputs to be mis-matched. My second issue is, when I turn the volume up on my stereo while playing a record to a louder listening level, the needles on my power meters start to vibrate back and forth at a very violent rate. I can also see my speaker covers start to shake. I believe this is flutter. I have been trying to eliminate this problem for years now, but haven't had much luck. My speakers are very big and are rated to handle 250 watts per channel. They are made by Speaker Lab and on the back they say "Speaker Lab 7". What could be causing these two problems?

Any input would we greatly appreciated.

Dustin

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4668

The second problem is not flutter. Flutter is the rapid, regular alteration of speed, and hence frequency, due to irregularites in the speed of the playback source. Turntables and tape decks can exhibit flutter, but this does not make the woofers "flutter". Flutter occurs at high frequencies and once you hear flutter you can tell its there.

The movement in the woofers is caused by subsonic frequencies that are being put into the amplifier by the turntable's playback system. There can be several causes for this problem. The first thing to do is to carefully lift the table off its support shelf while the record is playing and the volume level is low. If this stops the woofer movement, then you have a feedback problem. If the woofers still "flutter" when the table is off the support, you have a problem within the turntable system. There could be many reasons for the table to exhibit subsonic problems ranging from inherently poor design to a mismatched tonearm and cartridge.

The most reasonable solution to this problem is a subsonic or "rumble" filter. Older receivers built around phono sections usually have a subsonic filter of some sort. My memory isn't good enough to remember whether the 9090 had a filter. If it does, simply engage the filter and you should notice most, if not all, of the woofer movement disappear.

The imbalance in the meters could also be caused by several factors. My best advice though, is to take the amp to a technician who can feed a constant level to both channels and ascertain where the problem might exist. Otherwise, until you can put in a constant signal yourself, there's not much you can do to track the problem. You can find a test record with equal levels on both channels. But by the time you have traced the problem to a bad tonearm set up, you will have worn the record down too much to be of further use. I would suspect, if the problem has always existed, the reciver is at fault and not anything related to the turntable.

For the tonearm/cartridge to be so out of alignment that it would cause audible difefrences in level, the tonearm would be leading the cartridge across the record. You can check this by looking at the tonearm from the front as it plays a record. If the headshell is pulling to the center of the record to the point the cartridge's cantilever is out of alignment with the center of the cartridge, then you need to adjust anti-skating. This could also indicate a problem in matching your cartridge to the tonearm.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4674

Try this; reverse the connections at the cartridge pins only. By making the right channel the left channel and vice versa you will be sending a signal that should reflect the output of the cartridge to the opposite channel than normal. If the meters now reflect this change, the cartridge is faulty. If the problem persists in the same channel as before, the problem exists in the phono pre amp of the receiver.

Unregistered guest
I am having problems with my Technics SL-Q2 direct drive turntable. I Have not played it in over 15 years and I think it may be the needle. I have it plugged into the TAPE inputs on the receiver. The sound comes out very soft and tinny - almost as if the Mute is on.

Should I replace the needle - a SHURE M91ED or is it another problem. Where is the best place to purchase a replacement stylus?

Thanks,

Eric

bburt
Unregistered guest
zcbmno1: No, don't get a replacement stylus. If you don't have a 'Phono' input on your amp, you need a pre-amp to boost the signal up to an appropriate level.

vtc
Unregistered guest
Hi--
I have a Technics SL-Q2. Recently I had to replace the cartridge, which shorted out after the stereo was connected to a surge protector. Now, with brand-new cartridge, I am only getting output to left speaker. My receiver, a Sony STR D990, has a phono input channel that the turntable's connected to. When it's on any other setting-- tuner, etc.-- the speaker output is fine.
Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us