Archive through February 08, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1280
Hi Sem,

Good to hear from you! My apologies to a brother New Yorker, but after 57 years on earth, I deserve this wonderful Florida winter warmth.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1281
Art,

I have the Spendor S3/5's. I have a Jolida JD102B and a Sophia Electric "Baby". I like both very much, but they are very different sounding amps. I mostly use the "Baby".

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3887
Greetings, Rick!

I do not recall any assassinations!

Hope the move went well, for you and for your family.

There have been a number of defections to two-channel. I remember, right at the start, that you advocated the CD performance of a CD-only player.

I think I offered to concede defeat on the topic of multichannel vs stereo, but the offer was not accepted, unless I missed something.

And, since we started, SACD has become primarily a surround format, at least to judge from the observations of the record and hifi industries.

I am vaguely hankering after a two-channel only CD(/SACD) player. It would also bring the benefit (to me) of complete separation of HiFi and TV.

How things change.

It is good that people have their own views on things. From the marketing point of view, getting "audiophiles" all to go the same way must be like herding cats.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2662
Well Dogs It's been a rough week. Yesterday I had to make that choice between the workplace I love and the job I hate and the job I love and the workplace I hate. In the end the camraderie of friends and the opportunity to work with my wife even though it's a job I am not fond of won. I took the loss of pay to be with people I care about.

Tonight as I discovered that somehow a client had gotten my home phone number her call was interrupted by a call from my Brother. My Father passed away tonight. Sorry I'm sharing this with you guys tonight but it's late and I can't sleep.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 177
Art

So sorry about your father. You and your family are in our thoughts.

M.R.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3889
Art,

M.R. writes for me, too.

This is sad and heavy news. You take care. I had that phone call on Dec 20 1985, a day burned in my memory. So many things have happened since, where my first thought was to tell him; ask his advice; proudly show him grandchildren who came later; all that.

No need to apologise. Many will know how you feel. It is one of the hardest things, and never leaves you.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1282
My condolences Art.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 542
Art,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during your time of grief. Take comfort in knowing the pain of your loss will ease with time, your best memories, thankfully, will not.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7274

Sorry to hear about your father, Art. Unfortunately life seems to dole out challenges in multiples.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2663
Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful words.

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 75

So sorry Art. My thoughts and prayers to you and family.
Margie

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 298
Art,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Rick,

It's nice to see you posting here again. Hopefully, you'll continue to do so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
To add to the earlier discussion of redbook vs. SACD, I came across some interesting information today about the improvements of CD-R re-recordings of CD's and a magic device that may cause you to rethink a purchase of a CD player:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/cjdiaries.htm

Rebuttal AND Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal AND Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal AND Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal-of-Rebuttal......- in other words, a typical audiophile conversation. Scroll halfway down the page and start reading with the letter from Michael Fremer:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/letters.htm

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1283
SM,

Thank you for the kind words. It's nice to chat with my forum friends again. I'll try to be here more often now that the family move has been made. Cheers!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 179
SM - thanks for the article. Hmmm!

Well, it appears that there is nothing wrong with my Denon DVD-2900. Instead of sending it to the distributor, my dealer decided to have a listen himself along with his two salesmen. He phoned me and asked me to come in so we could listen together and make our comparisons. To recap: I was certain that the cd layer sounded better to my ears (and Mrs Rantz's) than the two channel SACD layer.

Well we listened and I still believe I can hear more detail on the cd layer, however I now think that vocals sound slightly better and that the overall sound has a warmer or more smooth (some may say analogue) touch to it. I also think his listening room helped me to hear this. Still, on most tracks I preferred the cd - I like detail, especially clean, crisp detail in the high end, but not too much as to make listening tiresome.

Next we did the same test with the Denon DVD-3910 (both were hooked up to the new Denon AVC-A11XV mutichannel amplifier. The 3910 was connected by Denon Link (they finally uploaded the softeware successfully) and the 2900 by analogue cables. My conclusions were the same though I preferred the the sound of the 2900, but then I didn't hear the 3910 with analogue cables.

Overall, on both machines, the dealer clearly thought SACD 2ch sounded better, one saleperson thought it was a tad smoother but really said there was very little difference and the other guy agreed with me, saying there was more detail with the cd layer , though as I said, the difference is very subtle.

A good point, and I think this is an important one, is that the cd layer on hybrid sacd's is sonically superior to the standard redbook cd. This has something to do with the DSD process called bitmapping and it creates an advanced resolution cd layer. Back home, I used a standard Diana Krall cd and compared the same tracks on the sacd and the sacd 2 channel was clearly superior, but so was the cd layer on the hybrid disc. Sacd's in 5.1 are still the most satisfying sound (as too are some DVD-A's) for my ears, but 2 channel music does sound terrific played through our Nad 162/272 combo.

So, there you go: when purchasing a hybrid SACD, you are getting an improvement in sound and whether you prefer the 2ch sacd layer or the cd layer it doesn't matter. Perhaps there is more of a difference sonically between both layers when played on stand alone two cahnnel sacd/cd machines, especially higher end ones. I'll stay away from them and be satisfied with my lot. I have to be and I am.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7301

Satisfaction is as satisfaction does.

Ask your wife.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 180
Are you kidding?

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Ah, but, if for a mere $575 usd you could buy this magic CD replicator and make all of your redbook CD's sound dramatically better than even SACD - perhaps, even as good as LP - wouldn't that be a worthwhile investment?

The guy marketing the player will also create one of his special CD's for you if you send him a redbook CD and $65. My interest is piqued but, considering all the other money I've recently spent, it may have to wait.

:-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7316

SM- You've been elected the tester for Old Dogs by, I'm certain, unanimous decision. It is now your responsibility to buy, test and report on the above mentioned item. Our future is in your hands. Don't let us down.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1102
Not that there's any pressure at all, SimMc.hehe

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7333

I know most Old Dogs wander through this field on their way home, but I think this bears repeating.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/193312.html

SM, your task is to report on the $575 tweak. I'll do the $25 piece.

So, who'll volunteer for the $5k level "find"?

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Ok, I'm happy to do the testing but the Old Dogs will need to cover the $575. I'll keep the machine at my house since it is so ugly. Really, this is a sacrifice on my part since you know how I am about aesthetics.

If it lives up to its hype then I'll be happy to convert everyone's CD libraries for half the currently advertised price. That would work out to $32.50 per CD. You'll need to buy the special black CD's at $125 for 100 CD's in addition to the ripping price.

Sounds like a great deal for me, er, to me. Y'all get LP-quality sound from CD and the aesthetical value of my living room is cheapened by the presence of the replicator. So, who's in?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 185
"I know most Old Dogs wander through this field on their way home, but I think this bears repeating."

Oh no! Not another Edster :-)

Actually, this Old Dog often wonders through this field.

Simply.

Good to see you back. It seems you guys are unhappy with your sound and are prepared to do anything to get some improvement (must be those darn old Mac's) anyway, my cd's sound really good so count me out. Besides, with the exchange rate and postage I might be better off with Eddie's wonderful panny.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1285
You don't have to spend $5K for a good SET and a pair of Lowthers. Anyone who wants to follow the tube path, should stumble on this sooner or later. Just my humble opinion!

Yes Rantz, I too have often wondered.........LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Thanks, MR. If truth be known, I've mostly been listening to my iPod with Etymotic earphones at home and the iPod with Sennheiser headphones at work. This is because my home is in the last stages of a remodel (consisting of wiring the HT, mounting the LCD on the wall and installing new tile around the fireplace) and furniture is moved around and the environment is just not conducive for listening to the real system. Except for last Sunday, when I cranked up Mac/Maggie to take on the new HT system consisting of Harmon Kardon AV receiver and Orb Audio speakers. MM won hands down. But, the HK/Orb system is still pretty sweet for HT. Mac is still first in my heart. :-)

This little Class T amp that Jan linked us to is pretty intriguing though. Curiosity might get the best of me. The only apparent problem is I don't have the high sensitivity speakers it needs. Hmmmm.....

Rick, Glad to see you got your family moved safely to FLA. It sounds like you are enjoying the winter weather. Just wait til summer tho....lol.

Where is Kegger?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 186
"Mac is still first in my heart."

I know he is Sim, all the single guys in town must heartbroken. Kegger's whereabouts is a mystery to me. Come on Keg, show your good old self.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7359

In honor of Mozart's 250th birthday, not only did all the churches in Salzburg ring their steeple bells at 8PM (their time) Friday but on Saturday Dallas' Fine Arts Chamber Players performed his Serenade in B-flat Major K. 361. I had a wonderful seat in the front row, dead center about eight feet from the nearest player and no more than twenty feet from the farthest performer. Two oboes, two bassoons, two clarinets, four horns, one bass and two basset horns. Basset horns(?!), you say. Yes, basset horns. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basset-horn) Two of them. Thirteen performers, seven movements, one sweaty conductor and a quite delightful piece of music it was.

So, that one's out of the way. Now I only have about two thousand more pieces of Mozart to hear before I die. Give or take a few hundred, that is.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 189
Do make time for some life as well Jan. So it's Mozart's 250th birthday. Guess he spends his time just decomposing these days, eh?

BTW - do they have Blood horns as well?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7362

I don't know. That's now your area of investigation.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 192
Nah Jan, instruments named after pooches are not in my baliwick at all.

Okay, wonders will never cease (especially on this thread), yesterday I ordered a DVD-A of The London Symphony Orchestra doing Beethoven along with a few more jazz sacd's. It'll take a week or so for delivery then I'll give my impression on "rate your hi-res music"

John,

I recently bought a cd by a pretty young thang from your neck of the woods. Katie Melua has a great take on jazz and easy pop ballads and has a honey edged voiced to boot. Refreshing to hear an eighteen year old with REAL talent.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3894
Thanks, MR. Which Beethoven?! He didn't exactly churn it out like WAM, but there are all sorts of different things to consider. Probably a symphony. There are all wonderful. All nine. WAM wrote 41. WAM's get better, later, imho. I'll look with interest for MR on LvB!

That must have been a great concert, Jan.

I'll also look out for Miss Melua. The newspapers here are full of stories of "Arctic Monkeys". Biggest selling first album ever, if I read them right, with interest fuelled by iTunes and downloads, apparently.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 199
According to the title John, LVB's classics:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=16695&section=music

Cheers

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3895
Ah, a mixed bag, MR. I'll bet it sounds good.

Best wishes.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1286
Mr. Vigne,

Some months ago, you and I had a falling out. I said things to you in anger that I regret. They were uncalled for, and I am truly sorry I said them. Please forgive me. Please take this post as a sincere attempt at an apology, and an offering of the olive branch.

One "Old Dog" to another,

Rick Barnes

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3896
Rick,

If I may interject, we all seemed to fall out some months ago. Indeed I felt partly responsible, though I am darned if I can recall what exactly it was about. I note that Jan is writing reams on other threads, and I think no-one is getting e-mail notifications these days. Doubtless Jan will reply eventually with some caustic remark.

As co-instigator of this this thread, let me record that it is a great pleasure to read your posts again.

And let us not forget that, thanks to you, Old Dogs begat Tube Talk, which changed our lives!

All the best.

John

PS Same goes for SM alias GC! And yes, where's Kegger?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7391

Rick - Whenever you're in any lot any Old Dog is visiting, I'll be happy to share my bowl of food with you. Duty says I must, common sense says I should. Had any good bones lately?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7392

Just in the rare instance where I might be misunderstood, please, let me clarify my post. I have reached the point in my life, as have most of us, where remembering the lessons of my father have become more important. I took lessons that displayed both my father's ability to reach out to people unlike him and his sometimes stubborn refusal to let go of slights and hurts that infected his life until his end came in a lonely hospital room with only me by his side. I would prefer to emulate the former and not the latter.

Rick, we have called each other friend. I consider it unreasonable to withhold friendship from anyone willing to accept in kind. The terms of friendship, as I see them, include the ability to be critical of what the other person says or thinks and the ability to accept any criticism with an open mind. One party may decide they are unwilling, or unable, to change to reflect that criticism, but that is the reciprocal price of friendship. We accept each other for who we are at our core and not for words that might come between us. We are free thinking human beings. As such there are bound to be disagreements between us. In the end, we share a common goal of happiness and prosperity that we broadcast to all people. Being in lockstep in order to achieve our goals is not the order this country, nor any free society, imposes on it citizens or its friends.

Over the years the value of friendships has been amplified over and over in my life. There are always too few while there can be little of greater value to anyone. The price of friendship is high and the rewards are great. Friendship is one of the few things in life of which we should never have enough. Once we have it, we should only relinquish it with great disappointment, not in a fit of anger.

So, Rick, I never considered you not my friend and I assumed you did likewise. We are Old Dogs and Old Dogs stick together. (At least until we receive a good bath.) I'm glad you're back in the lot and I look forward to your contributions. I make no promises nor apologies for my behaviour future or past. I am what I am at my core. Anyone willing to accept that can be my friend. If someone cannot accept who I am, they are still welcome to come along for the ride should they wish. Who knows what will happen in the future? Anyone I consider a friend will have the same acceptance returned to them many times over.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2697
Well said Jan! That is one of the best posts I've read on this site and I believe it is heartfelt. Bravo!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3897
Agreed. I am a bit short on erudition these days, Art. But let us all consider, too, that friendship requires trust, and that takes time to build. It has been a pleasure getting know people on this thread.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 211
I'll add an eruditious thought:

Ditto!

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Cool! Does this mean the Old Dogs World Tour is back on? Rick, do you still have the inside track on a Pepsi sponsorship or do we need to talk to Disney?

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1288
Jan,

Thank you my friend.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1289
To all the "Old Dogs",

Thank you my friends. I missed you all while I was away. I feels good to be back.

Gold Member

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1290
SM,

We had better talk to the "MOUSE". LOL!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3899
Can one be both a Modern Man and an Old Dog....?!

Now, if I had to choose...

Cheers, all!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 217
Well then John, I may have to resign my dogship - or be beaten into submission to practice the Edisonesque world of audio.

Hmmm, I'll have to sleep on it.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 219
John,

I slept on it, though not very well, tossing and turning from the sheer stress, but I did come up with a decision my friend.

I think being an old modern dog is the solution, however ruff it may be.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3900
My Rantz,

You really are a wag.

I was thinking "Once an Old Dog, always an Old Dog".

But now you give paws for thought.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 224
Maybe I'm older than I think John, (though not than I look :-)) - everyone now seems to be into Ipods and T-amps etc.

I think I'm where I want to be as far as audio goes now, though I was thinkng about a t/t in the near future. However, my brother is convincing me otherwise as he says that vinyl is like a new toy though after a while cd's win out because of the convenience and lack of maintenance. Then there's Mrs Rantz of course.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3901
My Rantz,

I understand. iPods are winning out over CD, for the same reasons, I think. Personally, I do not enjoy listening to sounds coming from bits of plastic stuffed in my auditory canals. But iPods are certainly "cool". My daughter's black iPod nano looks edible.

Mrs A. had an iPod , too; is thrilled with it, and does not understand my wanting to check and compare things. However, I did take her through the various file formats, with the iPod serving as a source for our hifi. Moving up from the default 128 kbps, she could certainly hear the difference, and so could I. She settled for 256 kbps aac, one notch down from 320 kbps, the max, which Simply uses, I read. Neither Mrs A nor I could hear the benefit of 320 kbps. Not on DSOTM, anyway. Not compared with the CD, either.

Anyway, me dear old Dutch kindly purchased two March HiFi mags yesterday. The newcomer is "Hi-Fi World" which has its entire issue devoted to turntables and LPs. Even Marantz are getting in on the act, with a beautiful-looking new TT, £999 including arm and MM cartridge. Thought you should know! It is based on a ClearAudio TT, I suppose like the NAD 533 is based on a Rega.

There must be more and more Young Dogs out there.

I am pining for my Rega Planar 3. I'd have to go and get it. I would not trust removal people to pack it properly. There is a piece of cardboard which you slip under the drive pulley to absorb any pressure on the main bearing. They would not understand.

Wonder how its sounds with my valve amp and Quad ESLs.

And LPs are nice. The sleeves are big enough to be readable, for a start.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 227
"Wonder how its sounds with my valve amp and Quad ESLs."

I would have say more than likely it would sound sensational, John. You'd better go fetch it

I was talking to my dealer today ( I had lent him some sacd's) and enquired whether a Project Expression was a big step up from the Debut 2. He said that while it was a bit of a step up, one would be better getting the debut 2 and spending the difference on a good quality cartridge. I filed that for future reference just in case. I have seen the Marantz t/t and it does looks very seductive.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2712
The Debut comes with a better cartridge than the Expression as the Sumiko Oyster is awful. But the Expression has a much better arm than the Debut and would benefit from a better cartridge in ways that the Debut could not. I couldn't afford a big step up so I bought a Grado Blue ($80) with my Expression and the results are very good.

John, I hooked up the table this morning. Couldn't help myself. The difference between the NAD and Prima Luna with vinyl (and the different phono sections) is quite stunning. Much less noise and more music. I'm only on my second LP but oh my how fun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
John,

I do have all my cd's ripped at 320kbps. As I recall, I noticed a perceptible improvement at that bit rate over any other - but, the law of diminishing returns does apply, obviously. Even at 320kbps, the sonic quality, while quite good overall - and excellent for listening through headphones/earphones - is still somewhat flat compared to the original CD, particularly if played back through a home system. It's not that it sounds bad (well, maybe to a vinyl junkie it would)...it just sounds like something is missing.

This past week, I purchased a bigger external drive and plan to rerip my collection using Apple lossless with error correction. I may keep the existing 320kbps library for iPod purposes but the new lossless library will be for playback through the home systems.

I decided to do this in lieu of getting a new CD source. The theory that the physical CD is the weakest link in the digital chain has swayed me. While I'm not prepared to spend $600+ dollars on the magic machine (see my post from Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:14 pm) and black CD's, I do believe the theory that you can improve upon the CD sound through the copying/correction process makes some sense. I guess I'll find out whether this is the case or not.

So, I'll begin ripping and, in the weeks/months it takes to do this, I'll see what happens with technologies such as USB DAC's. Maybe I'll try out the Squeezebox with its Burr-Brown DAC. I have a first generation Squeezebox but it is klugey in its networking and usability nor does it have a decent DAC.

By the way, I don't know if you have seen this blog before but I find they have some interesting news from time to time:

http://www.sonicflare.com/

The young man who writes the blog has an interesting goal: bring hi-fi to the iPod generation.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1172
Good reading, thanks SM.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3903
Thanks, MR.

Thanks, also, Art. O.K.; turntable first. I can tweak away with and RB arm an motor upgrade if I feel the need, though I'll start from where I am. I wonder how many people are still running 1979 P3 with original arm and cartridge. As I've said before that was probably my best-ever purchase in terms of long-term value.

SM, Great to read. Thanks, too. If I had my own iPod I to would choose "Apple Lossless", which is MPEG-4 as I understand it.

Over here in UK, "digital radio" is being plugged relentlessly, but the standard is "DAB" and everyone who has listened and studied it seems to agree that it is a dead duck as regards sound quality. There is an article in one of the March mags pointing out that UK may have committed itself to a lower standard than the MPEG-4 which is on the table for wider international adoption, at least in Europe. That means all the people buying shiny new DAB tuners and radios will be dissatisfied in a few years, or else we'll be stuck with lo-fi radio, here, compared with everywhere else.

I have been considering getting a CD player or SACD player. But I think I am going to wait and see. I play CDs from the NAD T533 DVD-V/A player and they sound pretty good. I espoused DVD-A, as some may recall, but the discs are just not there, few of them have two-channel, and I have still not been able to make a straight comparison with CD. I keep getting distracted by the music!

A few years ago I did some listening tests with a Mk. 1 iPod and a Mahler symphony. I really found the highest resolution, aiff, equal to the original CD, at least on the system I was using then.

Now, if Apple would just revise iTunes to deliver 24-bit 96 kHz....

But I suppose "Dozens of songs in your pocket" is not what the market wants!

Thanks, SM for the Blog link. I'll try it. I've scanned it and there is some interesting stuff there. Time....

Lord how I hate wading through prose like that in your "Black Box" link of Jan 26 (but thanks, of course). Why does the man not get to the point...? Will he ever....?

The new Rega Apollo CD player's "chip set contains over 20MB of memory with 32 bit digital signal processing" and apparently the player pre-scans every CD before playing it. I wonder what it does with the information. There again, I wish they'd actually explain, and lay off the adjectives a bit. If the "Black Box" treatment works, surely it would make sense to have the processing done in real time, instead of having to burn a doctored copy of every CD you own, and then play the copy....?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
John,

Agreed. It would be great if all these claims of vinyl sounding CD's are true but, it seems it wold be fairly expensive to get to that point....not to mention very time consuming. For instance, it's $575 usd for the replicator, $125 usd per 100 black cd's (in my case, I have around 700 cd's in my library so that would be $875 to do the full library - presumably though I would probably just do the copy on the most important CD's) plus $50 to buy the cleaning solution. As one person cynical of the claims pointed out, you could buy a lot of LP's for that amount of money. :-)

From what I've read, the most highly regarding ripping program is Exact Audio Copy - but, it doesn't come in a Mac OS version. So, for simplicity's sake, I'll use the Apple lossless. The following article has some good information and indicates that not all copies will result in improved sound...apparently, CD's pressed with "worn out stampers" will show the most improvement.

But, to get back to your original point, yes, it would make Perfect Sense Forever to have the processing done in real time.....

Despite all of this digital activity, I have a certain Mr. Dual (TT) patiently waiting for some attention. Once all the dust settles from the remodeling, I will give him a few spins and see where he takes me.

Lord how I hate wading through prose like that in your "Black Box" link of Jan 26 (but thanks, of course). Why does the man not get to the point...? Will he ever....?

LOL! I feel the same way when I read Thoreau. lol.

Have a great day, Old Dogs!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3904
From what I've read, the most highly regarding ripping program is Exact Audio Copy.

Disk Utilities. In "Utilities". Just make a disk image. File > New > Disk Image from folder...

Then select the audio CD as the folder from which to make the disk image.

You get an exact image of the CD, from which you can burn all or part onto a blank CD-R, by dragging files from the mounted disk image, or the image itself, to new "Burn Folder" (made from the "File" menu in the desktop). It is only data, after all!

iTunes tries to get in the way, but ignore it. An Audio CD contains .aiff files (audio interchange file format). These can be also be imported into iTunes and written from there to an iPod. Or played without loss of quality by QuickTime movie player.

I'll check this later just to be sure it still works (it used to). iTunes is just an interface for QuickTime, plus the other file formats, as far as I can see.

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
Despite the new hard drive's capacity, it wouldn't be large enough to store exact copies of all my CD's. But, I wonder if there would be even more improvement if I first did an exact copy to the drive and then used iTunes to do the Apple lossless conversion from that (assuming this is even possible)? Maybe that is overkill.....Maybe I'll try it on a couple of disks to see if it is worth the effort.

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1205/slimdevices_squeezebox.htm

Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" is good Sunday morning music.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1094
A coupl-ah comments, if I may break in here, please? As I've posted to SimplyM - I have done a limited experiment with down-dubbing to black CD-R discs.

Took a DG (1985) disc of Mozart horn concertos which I love but which has horrible sound quality. Using my built-in Sonic disc-copy system I copied down to a black CD-R. Then copied down that disc to a 2nd-generation black disc.

Took all into the living room - auditioned - "thought" the black disc sounded a tad warmer. Brought in Ms. Golden Ears, AKA, Merri.

After A-B-ing back and forth, up and down, etc. I asked her for her opinion. On the last A-B she said that she liked "the second disc better."

Well, that stunned me, as it was the original! When I told her she went on to explain that the black disc did sound warmer and "better" in the mid to low range, but that the highs were more "tinny and shrill" than the original disc. Hmm. . .

OK - I sorta agreed with her - but disagreed that the black disc was more shrill.

Oh, well - an UNscientific test - and not one using the Exact Audio Copy program referenced by SimMac.

With that - I got an e-mail last night from my recording engineer-friend out in LA - who had just been "messing around" in the studio with some other engineers. Listening to what appeared to be a custom-made Blu-ray disc, played on a name-less Blu-ray player - brought in by a person who works for Sony labs.

He said he was "blown away" by what he heard coming from the blu-ray. Some Mahler, some Bill Evans piano, and some "generic" jazz groups.

He claims the blu-ray sounded like his beloved LP collection - no harshness, and very, very natural.

But he also noted that the blu-ray proponents are putting emphasis on video, not audio, these days, and so I should not panic.

Then he dropped another bombshell. He said another of the engineer-group took a "black box" out of a bag, set it on the recording console, and said: "guys, this will out-perform your blu-ray 10 to 1."

Well, that started an argument - until he took out some interconnects, and hooked up the black box to one of the hi-end amps in the studio.

My friend said the box - about the size of a CD jewel case and about 5 cases thick - had three buttons and "several" LED lights on the front. On the bottom area of the front-plate was a slot. That's it.

He took what looked like a CompactFlash card out, slipped it in, and pushed what appeared to be "play."

Well - my friend said that his jaw dropped and the other engineers sat up quickly and got "real interested."

Turns out that the "box" is a prototype of a flash player for music - and uses a 4 gig Kingston flash card for storage.

My friend said the flash card was programmed from original masters - not CDs - and was, in my friend's words: "absolutely life-like." they listened to about 20 minutes of varying music, then tried to ask about the "box." Not much info forethcoming, I'm afraid, but my friend claims that, if the recording companies could only come out with cards instead of discs, we'd all hear much better stereo!

So much for my ramblings - it would seem that much is on the horizon, but how much trickles down to us remains to be seen.

BTW - as an aside - my friend says to audition a new Harman Kardon CD/SACD player. OK - it's even in my humble price range, and whenever I can find a "DVD47" I'll try it. He says he "thinks it blows away his Denon 3910." Wellll. . . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2720
Larry, did he say that it blows away the Denon for hi res or cd. Nearly anything blows away the Denon for CD playback. My Friend Jeff who owns Bradford's in Eugene just bought the DVD3910 which he says does an admirable job for hi res (I don't think he's thrilled with it) but that it is woefully inadequate for cd's. That would be my experience with my DVD2910 as well. It might be added that he had a Music Hall Maverick before his Denon, but after 3 of them in a row failed he gave up on them. He stated he won't sell them in his store anymore either. His system is Magnepan 3.6's with Rogue Audio electronics.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3905
Ah, I see, SM; I forgot that you want the audio files on a magnetic disk.

Well, in original .aiff format, at the original size, just drag-and-drop.

To make Apple Lossless, import in that format through iTunes, then drag-and drop the resulting .mpg4 files from their location in the "Music" folder to the external hard drive. I think it would make no difference at all if the import was from the original CD or from an image of it on the computer's hard drive.

By the way, I have successfully copied some DVD-A disks using only "Disk Utility" on a Macintosh computer.

Larry, I agree that magnetic disks would make life simpler. A friend at work has a 40 GB external drive that is much the same size and shape as a CD jewel case, but with a cable coming out of one corner. That would store 50 or 60 complete CDs at original resolution, or maybe 8 DVDs. As I understand it, "BluRay" is just a way to get more information on a disc of a given size; the pits can be smaller, because blue light has a smaller wavelength that red.

All this leave me puzzling, still, about differences between CD players. When you read and write to a disk, whether optical or magnetic, the program you use normally gives you various speeds to choose from, and checks the data to see make sure it is identical. So there is, if you take your time, no difference at all between the copy and the original. I don't see why CD players, which are reading at just 1x, can't get it completely right, and so I don't see why there is a need for error correction. Different players will have different DACs, of course, and will have different output amps. But I can't see why "getting all the information off the CD" is such an issue. Any computer can do that, these days, so why not disc players? This was my main reason for being sceptical about "Vivid" and other disc treatments, all those posts ago. Either the player/computer reads a clean disk and therefore all the 1s and 0s, or it doesn't. Get one that does, is my simple way of looking at it. What am I missing in all this?

By the way, today I visited the London Oxford Street HMV Shop, and asked where the SACD and DVD-A section went in the classical department. The answer was that the SACDs are now distributed amongst the CDs, and the DVD-A section is getting smaller and tacked on the side of the DVD-Vs, which are mostly opera. It does look rather like DVD-A is doomed to become a short-lived, niche format.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1096
Art - I had to e-mail Vern to be sure - but he said that he got an "advance copy" of the HK DVD47 from a dealer-friend (guess they're just on the market??) and took it home to "play with it."

His answer to me, in part: "Well, Lar, I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this - but Bart (his dealer-friend) said I "had to" hear this turkey. Sooo - I hooked it up with the rig in the downstairs room, which has about "mid-fi" receiver and speakers. As I've told you many times, the rig is bigger than yours, with B&W 800 series speakers and a the MacIntosh amp.

(he continues) "I was ready for (yawn) another mid-level piece of crap, but was most pleasantly surprised. I did the usual Mahler-Stravinsky-Mozart-Bach round-about, then put on some Art Pepper, some Ray Brown and some Oscar Peterson.

To say that I was "blown away," as I told you earlier, is an under-statement. The ONLY instances where the sound quality was not HUGELY better were in the two SACDs of Mahler and Mozart. But even those gave me a broad sound stage and most even-handed - yes, LP-like - warmth.

OK - have I answered your question, Lar?"

Well, I guess he had. I hope this is of some value to you, Art. Vern and I have known each other since we were both VERY young, and I was working in a Midwest FM station where was chief engineer. He later went for a full engineering degree at, I think, Stanford - and has been getting smarter even as I get dumber! In other words, I both like and trust him.

Will the HK stand up? Will others find it "good?" Heck, with all the back-and-forths in the crazy world of stereo - it may get trashed! But I still want to hear it - if possible.

Respectfully - - LarryR

PS - Vern says he's keeping the HK. Hmm. . . .

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 230
John,

One only has to go to http://www.acousticsounds.com and notice all the new sacd releases. Click on SACD on menu to the left and click DVD-A. The is a huge difference in the number of titles. Even Sony, who was reported as dropping sacd is releasing several new titles this year, especially in the classical genre. Also, Telarc are releasing several new titles recorded with the New Sonoma 32 track DSD direct recording equipment that is reported to deliver stunning sound. Many telarc sacds do this already, though I find the cd layer just as good in stereo mode if not a touch better sometimes imo. As I explained before, this due to superbit mapping which is part of the dsd process - so the cd layer is not really your typical genuine redbook genre. Of course this is all good and with over 3500 sacd releases and growing, I think they will be around for quite some time. I also enjoy many redbook cd's and also the hdcd decoder is a beneficial asset on a player as well. DVD-A was supposed to be an addition to DualDisc, but many only have 48bit pcm stereo tracks under the guise of advanced resolution and the jacket info has to be carefully scanned to find the information - if in fact it is all included. Still, the odd DVD-A new release still pops up now and again.

Hey there Larry, good to see you here!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2722
Thanks Larry. I was just curious. I really like my Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha, but am always interested to hear if someone has really mastered a universal at a reasonable price. If they have I haven't been blessed to hear it. I'll have to go out and get a listen to that HK.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 231
Did I say 48 bit? Bite my tongue :-)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1097
John A. et al - I, too, constantly ponder the question of how the "bits get altered" - when they, by themselves, really don't. Here's a column sent to me by Ms. SimMac herself - which I'm still re-reading!

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/eac/eac.html

This helped me - but them I'm not an advanced audio-person - so ANY info helps me! (grin)

Art - I'm looking up your CD player - obviously way out of my money-league, sir - but I'm always learning.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2724
Larry, my system has shrunk and will continue to do so as I don't need my sub anymore. Minimalist 2 channel. I will be putting my sub on the market in a week or two. That just leaves me with:

Paradigm Studio 20 v3's
Prima Luna Prologue 2 Integrated Amp
Yamaha RX-V657 A/V Receiver (used exclusively as an AM/FM/XM tuner)
Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha
Denon DVD-2910 Universal player (for SACD and DVD playback)
ProJect 1Xpression w/Grado Blue cart and ProJect Speed Box

A small but very musical system with synergy plus.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1098
Art: as I see it, from my perspective as a retired and recovering journalist: "smaller is better." My good wife and I have for years tied ourselves to the mantra "less is more." Much like the good architect, I suppose, but of more relevance to our chosen way of life.

In our 25 years of marriage we have moved 17 times, and each time have learned a bit more of how to have a good life with "a few good things." Somebody famous or infamous said that, but I don't know who - outside of us, of course! (grin)

Wishing not to ruffle any feathers, I am of a mind that I can live quite well without "surround sound," though I admit that on (some) discs of importance to us, the "hall effect" is quite satisfactory. Merri fails to see my enthusiasm for the extra channels. . .

Giving up your sub? Welllll - - - that's something I would have to think very seriously about before actually heaving it out the door! Merri is much in love with her "bass friends" and finds the B&Ws most lacking in the low-note environment. Sigh.

I have for years posted on this and other forums that what I yearn for is an audio setup with a fine CD player and a receiver/amp that has a large, red button marked "play." When I push that button, in my fantasy, all the music starts wonderfully, and I don't have to do another bloomin' thing with it! Sigh.

But - such is not the case, and within the limits of a retired person's income, I continually strive for "natural" sound. Which, of course, I have yet to find.

Jan V. will tell you - loudly - that my room is obviously a large part of my problem. I agree, but am at a loss to find a satisfactory correction, without major re-construction. Hmm. . .

Perhaps I should give in and up - and get another "home theatre in a box," such as the one Merri has in her studio, and lives very happily with as she works. The thought intrigues. . .

Meanwhile - I shall continue to monitor the thoughts of those of you who have more and better knowledge of this thing called "high fidelity," and perhaps find audio Nirvana after all. . .

In my dreams. . .

Respectfully. . .Larry R

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3906
Brief reply to My Rantz (Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 05:04 pm).

Thanks. Yes, SACDs are becoming more numerous. The HMV shop now just puts them in with CDs. The cases are the same size, and there are so many that I can see it makes little sense to have a separate section.

Also, Larry, thanks for the link. I can't quite see how it answers the "bits" question. I'll give it another shot later.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 681
Today's fun factoid

"less is more" - Mies van der Rohe (famous for designing Chicago's first modern steel and glass skyscrapers, former student of Walter Gropius, who was married to Alma Mahler, widow of you-know-who)

"less is a bore" - Robert Venturi (famous for designing his mother's house, father of postmodern architecture)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3907
So we see that the purpose of architecture is to provide amusement for architects.

Thought so.

"Factoid"...?!

Thanks, 2c!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2726
Well Larry my amp ain't a whole bunch more complicated than the "red button" you long for. It has a on/off switch, volume knob and source switch (4 sources). Simple is beautiful!

TC, "today's fun factoid" is intersting and humorous. Thanks, I needed that. Well lunch is over...back to work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
Factoid about factoids (today's bonus)

The term "factoid" was coined by architectural historian Charles Jencks (or so he claims) who actually intended it to describe untrue statements that are repeated so often that they are taken to be true by the populous. Now the term is used loosely as a fun synonym for "a fact", especially for trivia.

John A.-Yes, there's a lot of internal game playing among architects, not that different from classical composers.

Art-Have you visited the new Seattle public library designed by Rem Koolhaas? Now there's a building that does more with less.

Can you tell it's a dull day at work? Just filling it up with pedantic amusement.

Larry-I owe you something. It will come to me.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1099
John A. - uh, "bits is bits" - really - and they don't change. BUT, as you've read in the link I posted, the variables surrounding those bits DO change - and that's jitter, which rhymes with titter, but it ain't funny. I'm still pondering it - and have re-read that link many times. I'm sure most of the Old Dogs are way ahead of me in understanding such things.

2C - so good to read anything from you, sir! How is God's Country these days? Sigh. . .how often I wish to return to the state of my birth - but cannot imagine being able to afford it! I settle for occasional visits to a cousin who lives on the remnants of the family ranch over west of Yosemite NatPark. And no, I'm not in line to inherit it! Sigh.

BTW - all gifts gratefully accepted, sir! (grin)

Well - my recording engineer-friend's urging me on to the Harman Kardon DVD 47 may have come just in time. The Yamaha S5770 that I have seems to have developed some terminal spitting and heating-up disease. Called Yamaha, and they gave me a royal runaround - basically telling me that it's now out of warranty and good luck,

The nice chap said my problem is with a dielectric or something - and that to fix it is nearly impossible, that I'd need a whole new unit. Which they'd gladly sell me. Huh? Well, I checked the paperwork, and yep, my warranty's gone. Sigh.

The problem is that every once in a while the machine makes a noise like a loud sputter, then goes dead. Meanwhile, the case has gotten very hot. I think it's not long for this world. . .

It comes back to life after a half-hour rest - but Mer says she's worried about fire, and destruction of whatever CD or DVD is playing. Good point. . .

I'll let you know what transpires - or expires.

I lived - for a short time - in a Mies van der Rohe apartment building in Chicago. The windows didn't fit right - the heating was faulty - and I moved out smartly as soon as I could. But the place did look good from a distance! (grin)

Respectfully . . . LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2727
TC, I have indeed visited the new library in Seattle as well as Benaroya. I just LOVE Seattle!

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
Larry, so much for "form follows function"! It turns out to be balderdash. Things in NorCal have been wet and overcast. Perfect weather for listening to music, especially lots of jazz and soul, which pick up my spirits. Shostakovich and Mahler can be deathly this time of year. I feel like I'm trespassing on this thread because I don't listen to "bits" anymore, strictly vinyl. Although I'm intrigued by this recording: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15380
I wonder if any of the old dogs have listened to it and want to share their opinion.

Last time I was outside of Yosemite, I took my visiting sister for a hike and got us promptly lost. The trails weren't marked well. A planned 6-hour hike turned into a 14-hour ordeal. It was fairly harrowing because we made it back to the trailhead just as it was getting dark. Later that year, the husband of an acquaintance disappeared in the same part of the Sierras hiking alone. They had the full search and rescue effort going. They never found a trace of him. This may be God's country, but the devil has his place too. I am hoping that he may have ended up in Vegas leading a new life.

I much prefer to get lost in the music in the safety my chaise lounge.

Peace

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
Art, I love Seattle as well, but I've always gone between Memorial Day and Labor Day. So I don't know the "head-in-the-oven" side of Seattle.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2728
Some of us (nuts) actually love the Northwest all year 'round. I'm a little different than you TC in that I usually listen to more classical in the winter and jazz/soul in the summer. This year I have been mixing it up a bit more. I've always enjoyed wallowing, if you will, in whatever mood or state of mind I'm in. I love the dark days of winter, listening to stormy or emotionally charged classical music and reflecting on everything that comes to mind. I'm at a point in my life where I enjoy my emotions good, bad, or indifferent. It's just good to feel them deeply regardless of what they are.

That link you provided looks very interesting, I wonder if it sounds as good in stereo.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3908
Ah, The West Coast.

A tipoid. San Francisco band. Recommended CDs, performance, recording, everything. Corelli Concerti Grossi op. 6, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra. Harmonia Mundi USA. Recorded at "Skywalker studios", wherever that is. If the reverb is electronic, I don't care. Had Vol. I some time. I just bought Vol. II, which includes "Christmas Concerto". I've never heard it done better. Gorgeous. Phrasing; everything. Hats off to those guys.

Congrats, 2c! Warning: real baroque strings, Larry....!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3909
Congrats, Margie, too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
John A.,

Thanks for the cd recommendation. I will get it if it's available on vinyl. I have the Pinnock version of C's op.6 on cd but haven't listened to it in a long time. Charming music, yes? We will get Larry to enjoy period instruments one of these days.

Skywalker Studios is located on Planet Tatooine in a galaxy far, far away... otherwise known as Marin County.

I'm not sure what the congrats are for??? Did the 49ers win the Super Bore?

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
I think it might be fun to list some albums old dogs are listening to (and enjoying) these days. I'd post this on the music thread but it's turned into a cyber-ghetto. It's frightening. Here's my heavy playlist of the moment:

"The Sorcerer" - Gabor Szabo
"Miles Ahead" - Miles Davis/Gil Evans
Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook
"Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul"
"Black Moses" - Isaac Hayes
"Takk" - Sigur Ros

So, what are you listening to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
Art,

Your last post makes a lot of sense. As for me, I'm not sure if music is a means to escape or a means to connect or both.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2729
Let's see, some of the music I listened to last weekend:

Ravi Coltrane - "In Flux"

Rubinstein "Piano Concerto #4 in D minor", Scharwenka "Piano Concerto #1 in B flat major" on Hyperion SACD

Dave Douglas - "Soul on Soul"

Terence Blanchard - "Wandering Moon"

Branford Marsalis - "Eternal"

Doc Cheatham & Nicholas Payton

And many many more!

Gettin' ready for the Portland Jazz Festival which starts on the 17th. I have tickets to see McCoy Tyner w/Ravi Coltrane on the 17th and Nicholas Payton on the 18th.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7441

So what's the appeal to Ravi? I've read reviews of his music but never heard any.

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 76

Ahh..John..

Yes the "Bay Area" is lovely. I so enjoy "The City" but I don't spend much time there anymore so I am thinking about a move....north maybe..

Lucas has built a new facility on the grounds of the Precedio. This in addition to the Lucas Valley compound in Marin.

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 77

TC
I vote for both.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3910
2c,

"Congrats" on living in SF. I have the Pinnock Handel op. 6 (modelled on Corelli op.6, as you know, surely) and the performance is good but the recordings have that unmistakable DG sound. Harmonia Mundi is much better imho.

Margie,

Napa is not far away, as I recall. Last time I saw the Presidio (the same?) was in a movie with Sean Connery and I think Meg Ryan. No recording studios around then.

Must work.

All the best.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2730
Jan, I just bought Ravi's "In Flux" CD last weekend and have listened to it once. I'll have to listen to it more before I can speak to it critically. He is clearly a skilled musician but what he contributes that's unique I'm just not sure of yet.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1100
All this talk of vinyl - LPs - turntables! Sigh. . .makes me think back to when I really, really enjoyed recorded music! Then some movers stole my entire vinyl collection, and I've never gone back to LPs. My loss, in more ways than one!

Cyber-trash is what's happening on the Music threads. I wanted to post there, but was afraid of massive attacks of the Triffids, or such. . .

I'm looking up the albums that you all are referencing, and will open my eyes (and ears) to some new "information," for sure. I'm still nursing the Yamaha, and am awaiting further information on its perhaps-terminal condition from out West. Sigh.

Jan - you'll be happy to know that Merri and I are planning on doing a bit of "sonic tampering" with our walls - in an effort to create a better listening environment. Will let you know what it involves, and how it works - or doesn't - later on the Forum.

Oh, yes - as a near-aside - one of my latest auditioning involves a CD of Saint-Saens "Trios with Piano." - the performers - "Trio Wanderer. It's good sound, on harmonia mundi HMC 901862 - in one of those newish "modified cardboard cases" that I love to hate. But the sound on the disc is warm and wonderful - as much as CD-sound can be. . if DG sound could only be half as good as harmonia mundi! In my dreams. . ..

(do I hear another sigh around here???)

Way back when my dad was an Army doctor, we lived on the Presidio for a time - then he sailed away into WWII. . .I may have been an "Army brat," but I have wonderful memories of life in SF. If I could only afford to live there. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 232
John,

Quick update. The DVD-A of the London Symphony Orchestra doing Beethoven Classics is proving to be quite a pleasurable listening experience. There are 5.1 MLP (24/48), DTS 5.1 and PCM stereo (24/48) versions as well as a CD disc which I am playing right now. The DVD-A surround version was very enjoyable (mostly ambience from the rears) as is the cd I am playing as I type this. I am familiar with most tracks. I received this with 4 jazz SACD's from acoustic sounds and will report on all soon. Man, is Clair Martin terrific!

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
2C

Good to 'see' you again. :-) I agree with Margie, music is both for me. It is a momentary escape from the stresses of daily life and a medium for connecting to my soul and, in a way, to the souls of the musicians.

My recent listening includes:

Buena Vista Social Club - DVD - Outstanding songs and musicianship and fascinating storytelling.

Miles Davis 'B i t c h e s Brew'
Johnny Cash 'The Man Comes Around'
Art Pepper 'Best of'
Marvin Gaye 'Trouble Man'
Julian Coryell 'Rock Star'

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Oh yeah, I haven't been able to locate the CD yet, but when I do, I'll be listening to the funky jazz of pianist Chuck Lichtenberger. Here's a sample of what he does:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=463641 75

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
SM-Good to "see" you again too. And it's always a pleasure to read what you're listening to. I'd be curious to know which songs are on Art Pepper's "Best of" album. All his stuff is so fantastic. I like to recommend "Winter Moon" to those who think they don't like jazz--it's an impossibly beautiful album of his quartet backed by strings. The first track ("Our Song") is written for his wife. It opens with a few bars of him playing alone, which he describes as him walking in and just saying "hello", like real casual. And the song builds from there. Real wonderful stuff. Even Rantz might like it ;>)

Rantz-Which Claire Martin album did you get? I've always wondered why she isn't as popular as Diana Krall. She has the talent (and the looks to boot, much better looking than that Beethoven fellow) to be a star.

I'm curious what Mr. Vigne has spinning on his wonderfully tuned audio system.

Well, back to the grindstone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
Well, 2C, let me pull up the playlist on my iPod and tell you:

- Smack Up
- Tin Tin Deo
- Move
- Too Close for Comfort
- You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
- Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
- Bernie's Tune
- I Can't Believe That Your in Love with Me
- Gettin' Together
- Mambo Koyama
- The Prisoner (Love theme from 'The Eyes of Laura Mars')
- Our Song
- Over the Rainbow

This has been my "get up and put me in a good mood before work music" this week. Art Pepper is new to me so thanks for the 'Winter Moon' recommendation. I will definitely check it out. I also picked up his book "Straight Life" after it was passionately recommended to me from a close, musician friend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
SM, I read "Straight Life" a couple of months ago. It's more about his drug addiction and criminal activities than his musical life. He doesn't gloss over the ugliness and tawdriness of his life. Not exactly inspiring stuff, but well-written and interesting. If you're not up for the lengthy read there's a good but short documentary on Art Pepper called "Notes from a Jazz Survivor" (available from Netflix).

I see "Our Song" is included your collection. If you like that, you'll probably like the rest of "Winter Moon", which contains more ballads in that style.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3911
Thanks for reporting back, MR. London Symphony Orchestra are an ace band. They have their own label, "LSO Live", and do CD, SACD, iTunes, and ringtones. I have some of their CDs. CDs and SACDs are all budget price, but very good indeed.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3912
I vote for both, too. I am a bit slow. Ah... Just noticed.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 233
My current listening is the music I recently received from Acoustic Sounds. And 2C, your answer lies here:

Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot (And she certainly is)
Tommy Smith - Blue Smith (Jazz Sax)
Sarah Moule - Something's Gotta Give (And she does give - though not quite like Ms Martin)
Jaco Pastorius Big Band - Word Of Mouth Revisited (A Pastorius tribute band)
London Symphony Orchestra - Beethoven Classics

And BTW 2C - I agree about what you said about Ms Martin - move over Diana!

Also recently

Buddy Guy
Madeleine Peyroux
John Schofield
Santana (remastered Abraxas)
Oscar Peterson
Van Morrison
Chris Cain
Nightcry
Dr John
10CC
Supertramp
Matt Bianco
Stan Getz
Taj Mahal
Etta James
Diana Krall
Monty Alexander
Brian Ferry (Roxy Music)
Robert Cray
Larry McCray
Chris Rea

And now for the day before yesterday . . .

New hi res ratings will appear shortly on the appropriate thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us