Well Tempered or ???

Bronze Member
Username: Dion

Post Number: 15
I made a post elsewhere and Jan said WT isn't up to snuff these days. The one I heard was put up against a MMF7 and the WT was better by a long way. Any more thoughts about WT? Why isn't it so good? Sure sounds good to me. I'm thinkin bout the under $2k tables.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7168

Just curious about your comparison. It's very difficult to find a shop that has the various tables you wish to listen through all set up with the same arm/cartridge and playing through the same system. Without that bit of convenience it's virtually impossible to make many valid comparisons between products. Did you manage a demonstration that allowed this sort of head to head comparison? If so, I'd be interested in what you found so clearly better about the WT. I'm not trying to sell you off the table, I have no vested interest in what you purchase and it certainly won't hurt my feelings if I'm wrong about the table, but I'm curious to know what you heard since I've not listened to a system with a WT in several years. I assume the Well Tempered used the WT arm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
it was a new one he is working on with a friend and I was lucky I guess to get to hear it on a system that had the MMF7 playing before he hooked up his.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Sorry, it was when Bill Firebaugh was talking about his design to a group. We had been listening to the MMF then he hooked up his and it was like the music totally came to life.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I'm so bad at this posting stuff. The arm design was really strange cuz it had a golf ball in silicon for the toenarm bearing. Pretty weird but it sounded awesome.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1158
The Well Tempered is a good turntable in my view. I *did* hear stories about WT having problems with deliveries last year, but I believe they've got over this. In some respects the WT Reference is the best deck I've heard, but I did find it a bit clinical for my taste. Then again, it had more and better resolution than I've heard from almost any deck.

There are many brands worth looking at including VPI, Rega and Michell.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1159
Oh! And AVID - very good indeed.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7227

Clinical is often a description you hear concerning the WT. I worked with one fellow who used the WT with a ClearAudio cartridge and played through a pair of Wilson Watts. If it weren't for the Rowland amps in between the two, the sound would have been like looking at dental X-rays.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us