Transcriptors Saturn/ Shure V15III. Preamp?

Username: Tomas_mulcahy

Post Number: 1
Hi! I inheritted this beautiful turntable. It came with a Quad 33 preamp which needs an overhaul. I am wondering if there are better phono preamps available today? Or should I just send the 33 back to Quad for repair? Advice greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7009

Yes, there are better pre amps on the market today. But you will have to balance the cost of a refurbed Quad against the cost of a newer pre amp.

Username: Tomas_mulcahy

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan. Merry Christmas! It will cost me about €150- €200 to refurb the Quad. What is there in this range that would be good enough with the Transcriptors? A NAD PP2?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7023

Here's a thread which discusses several pre amps; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/183668.html

The tube based unit sounds promising (and is great looking) for someone like me who has listened to tubes vs. solid state in phono sections and found the tubes to be very much superior in almost every case.

You can also place "phono pre amps" into a search engine and get more ideas. And, there are always sites such as AudioGon and Audio Classics which sell pre owned phono sections and entire pre amps at reduced prices. There are some solid class "B" recommended products from just a few years ago selling for very low prices on both those sites.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7032

The Bellari tube based phono pre amp mentioned above is reviewed (briefly) in the current issue of The Absolute Sound.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us