Help with Receiver HDMI connection to Television

Bronze Member
Username: Andre18

Post Number: 15
I have run into another problem hooking up my yamaha rx-v1600 receiver to my Sony television. When I run my HDMI cable from my receiver to the television it says HDMI error, and then something about HDCP error. There is no solution in the manual. Can anyone help?

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 113
HDCP issue... what tv are you using? yamaha tries to play god with content protection...

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 150
No no. Cuylar. Again. Geez.

Matt- Are you running cable signal to your receiver as an HD signal via a set top box? Or is this DVD? My guess is the first as DVD copy protection is nil at this point.

Heres the deal. Copy protection is essentially a coded data handshake that basically acts as on OK YOU CAN GO IN NOW type bathroom pass alowing copy protected data to get all the way to the display. Unfortunately, things are kindo f a mess right now. The immediate soltion is to use component cabling and dump HDMI; you arent going to lose ANY picture quality for an HD cable signal despite popular opinion to the contrary for now.

Comcast has been using a problematic SA produced set top cable box that screws up the handshake badly. To fix this, you basically have to deal with software updates via the producer of the cable box trying to pass the HD signal. Call your cable company first.

Of course I am guessing as your info is limited. Give me some more info to work with or run with what I am saying. Component cables get you up and running immediately by the way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
My only other comment is as follows- if youre display can take a cable card use this route instead of the settop box for your HD feed. HDMI via cablecard gives a better picture than HDMI via set top box for the problematic set top boxes out there. There are additional issues with this approach however but I'll stop right here on this.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 766
"The immediate soltion is to use component cabling and dump HDMI; you arent going to lose ANY picture quality for an HD cable signal despite popular opinion to the contrary for now"

The difference between component and HDMI can vary based upon the equipment being used.

I use HDMI to connect a Denon DVD2910 to a JVC HD-ILA. I had the 2910 hooked up by component cable as well and A-Bed the hell out of the two over several weeks. The HDMI picture is clearer, sharper and generally more lifelike than through component.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 117
Marc, this one I dealt with myself. Yamaha told me themselves that the reciever was what killed the handshake. YES it was the comcast box that was not transmitting the HDCP handshake correctly but the new firmware 12.22 WILL work unlike the 12.18 or lower. What are you even talking about with HDMI from the cable card. It plugs right into the back of the screen... it's just like a pcmcia card into a laptop.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 118
Oh, and by the way I DO see a difference in the quality with my HDMI cable vs the HDMI. BTW I have covered this in other threads so if you always want to disagree with me even though you say the same thing in a different way then you should really find a new hobby.

I wanted to use the HDMI cable not just so I was using a digital (BETTER) video signal, but that also eliminated 4 cables from the back of my setup. Less clutter and less mess.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 119
For the record, this is what the problem looks like for most people. I used this because the motorola and yamaha couldn't pinpoint the problem.

video/x-ms-wmvUpload
Movie_0002.wmv (98.3 k)

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Sorry Cuylar- I am still pushing the edges of my plasma together based on your last recs in the video forum. Your response here was useless I thought on this particular thread.

AS far as this problem, we are simply covering solutions which are;

1. New set top box
2. Firmware update for set top box
3. USE OF CABLECARD IN LIEU OF SET TOP BOX if the display has a blade install option that accepts a cablecard ( I dont know if it does or not). The use of a cablecard bypasses the set top box handshake issue .
4. Use of component cables.

I dont know of other solutions but I am open to learning more. Just trying to help.

And Cuylar- folks that report big differences going from component to HDMI usually didnt have a good progressive chipset in their DVD player in the first place. But the HDMI problem thread is totally another topic- and one I doubt you have much knowledge about-- as usual apparently. I do clearly see however that you have dealt with a similar problem as the HDMI set top box so at least you are helpful on the concept of firmware updating. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 123
My "big improvement" is that the picture from the cable box actually fits the screen. I get 1" clipped off on either side (top and bottom) this only happends with the motorola box. Maybe I should be more specific when I describe my improvements. But, with the video being displayed correctly it looks much clearer. I know it's not my TV cuz it doesn't do it with the DVD player, just the cable box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us