Separates vs. Arcam AVR-250?

Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 6
If it were your chioce, would you go for the Arcam receiver or a preamp/power amp setup at the same price? If you go the separates route, your choices together can't exceed the retail of the receiver. Also, the preamp has to do all the latest decoding technologies that the Arcam does.
The amp should ideally be a 7 channel model as well.

Which way would you go, and what components would you use if you went with separates?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 535
Good question? Arcam makes some dynamite gear and seperates at that price "ain't too shiny" as my daddy used to say. I believe that I would go with the Arcam. Everyone who has read my posts know how much I like seperates. But I think I would rather have a good receiver that I can upgrade later with a power amp or even a good pre and power for 2 channel, than a bad pre/pro and power amp. Just my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 552
Please note you CANNOT upgrtade the AVR250 with external power amps. I can't believe Arcam have done this on such an expensive receiver and it's the only true weakness in such a fine machine.

My choice would be the Arcam - unless I knew I wanted an upgrade path. In that case I'd probably go for an alternative all-in-one receiver such as the Rotel RSX1056 which will allow me to add power amps and processor in stages.

However, if I had no intention of upgrading within two years I'd buy the Arcam because it's got an excellent sound for the money.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 564
Sounds reasonable Frank. I would also look at the NAD AVR's. They are past most of their issues. I just bought the T763. I believe in their products as I own their C542 CD player and C162 pre amp, which I use with my T763 and Hafler power amp. Meaning that the NAD is upgradeable.

Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 7
You are correct Frank, although I believe the AVR-300 makes provision for external amps for a little more $.

ArtKyle how do you like the 763? It has a pretty impressive spec list. You know that when a manufacturer isn't afraid to list 2 ohm power ratings, it's got the stability to drive just about anything. The only thing I am not sure of is whether or not it has DTS 96/24 decoding? I don't see it on the spec sheet.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 598
Just hooked it up today. Wow! Very impressive. I don't know about the DTS 96/24, I just know that I am listening to DTS discs and have never heard them sound so amazing. The NAD replaced a Marantz SR5400 and there is no comparison. The Marantz is a great receiver for the money. But one look inside this bad boy at the huge transformer tells you that you are in another league.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 86
Frank,

That means you prefer the Arcam 250 over the Rotel RSX 1056 in terms of sound quality?A friend of mine is selling his Arcam 200 at a very good price. Does it worth to spend the extra $$$ for the 250?Will I get a night and day difference in sound quality? If I get the 200 I can save some money and buy something else.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 656
Larz

Yes I prefer the Arcam over the Rotel, but the Rotel is very good.

The 200 is very different to the 250. The 250 is a cut down 300. The 200 was based on a completely different design. The 200 is not as advanced as the 250, but it is a good amp. If buying 2nd hand, it's going to be very difficult for me to say the 250 is better enough.

It could also mean that you could buy a better speaker system or a decent DVD player, so from a system building point of view you may well be better off buying the 200 in order to put the funds into those other options.

Frosty, yes the 300 offers full upgrade facilities as well as more power. As Art points out, the NAD surround amps are also very good. Art has a fully homogenous system now with NAD 2-channel, so it may be he is benefitting from the synergy of using the same brand since the centre/surround channels would have been imbued with the Marantz presentation whereas the main fronts would be imbued with the NAD presentation, which is quite different. Moving to the T763 would bring all that into line and make for a much more convincing soundstage.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 87
Frank,

Thanks.Your advice is highly appreciated.

Larz

Unregistered guest
Hi, guys
I am upgrading my Lexicon DC 1 pro-logic to either Rotel RCD-1068 wih my curren ADA 50W amp or Acram AVR 250 as Lexicon MC4 is too expensive for my budget.
Can anyone advise me am I making the right move.
I am also consider upgrading my speaker from B&W 603 S1 to either B&W 603 S3 or B&W 704.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Ian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help