VPI Scout vs. Music Hall MMF-9

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 16
My area store can get me a good deal on these two tables, but they do not have them on stock so I cannot really compare them, I just have to order one of them. I have heard very good things about the Scout but I am not very familiar with the Music Hall. They seem to be in the same price range, with the Scout maybe a little more expensive. I play mostly classical music.
The rest of my system consists of
Rotel RC1070 preamp (with MM/MC phono input)
Rotel 1080 amp
Martin Logan Ascent i.
Without getting into the cartridge issue (let's assume I would use the cartridge that comes with each player, Dynavector for the Scout and Music Hall Maestro for the MH), which table do you think would fit my system best?
Thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6547

The VPI.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 662
VPI

Great build and sound quality.

Excellent technical support.

Multiple upgrade path.

Built in the U.S.A.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 744
VPI

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 21
Hi all, thanks for the advice. I went to the dealer yesterday to order the VPI and the sales person tried to talk me into getting a
Michell TecnoDec Turntable w/RB250 or the Pro-Ject RM9. I was not ready for that so I did have not ordered the VPI yet. I did some research and it looks like Michell turntables are very good products. I could not find much about the Pro-Ject RM9. What I noticed about both players, as opposed to the Scout, is that the motor is completely separated from the chassis. To me it seems like it is a design borrowed from higher end TT. It looks like the design should offer a better sound quality, but you can never tell until you listen to them. Any opinions about these two players and how they compare to the Scout?

Silver Member

Post Number: 664
My guess is that the Pro-Ject will be similar to the Music Hall tt. I believe MH and P-J tts were built in the same facility in the Czech Republic. I'm not sure if it's still the case. The Michell could be competitive with the Scout depending on your own sonic preferences. Neither table has better build quality than the Scout. The RB250 is a good arm, but not better than the VPI JMW-9 imo. All the qualities of the VPI listed in my previous post still make it a sound buy (pardon the pun).

BTW the Scout also has a separate chassis for the motor. If the salesperson didn't know that, he probably has no experience with the Scout.

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 22
well, the VPI is on its way to my house and I can't wait. Do you have any DIY solutions for the dustcover? I don't want to spend $260 for it.
I would like to protect the whole tt from the dust, not just the platter.
Where can you find shaped plexiglass?

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 23
well, the Scout is on its way to my house and I can't wait. Do you have any DIY solutions for the dustcover? I don't want to spend $260 for it.
I would like to protect the whole tt from the dust, not just the platter.
Where can you find shaped plexiglass?

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
Max,

VPI makes a plexiglass dustcover for the Scout that covers the table including tonearm for $50 or $60. The main drawback is that it is completely open in front and back. Elusive Disc carries them. You would need to call them because the item isn't on the website. The Gingko covers are nicer but ridiculously overpriced.

Congrats on getting the Scout. You're in for quite a treat.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6608

Might I suggest you find another dealer, or at least another salesperson, to shop with. It really is unconscionable for a salesperson to try to dissuade a client from buying what they have decided they want. The salesperson in question seems either stupid, uninformed or under pressure to sell a certain product.

Bronze Member

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 24
Jan, I totally agree with you.
In fact, I ended up getting the Scout from a VPI dealer in Ontario who was selling a demo unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us