Fixing a Mac C24....

Username: Chuttt

Post Number: 5
Hi all, just want to know one thing : is the parts for old Mac's really hard to source or so? I have a Mac C24 which is showing some hum noise on the left channel when it got warmed up. I sent this to a shop in Toronto but for the last 2.5 months they keep on telling me they're waiting for parts. I don't have the details so just like to know in general. C24 is like product in '60/'70 or so.... is the parts like obsolete? I thought Mcintosh old parts should be around pretty broadly given the reliability of these gears. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7395

For the most part (no pun intended) the bits and pieces for the old Mac's are still available or have had substitutes recommended. Pre amps are easier to repair than power amps or tuners due to the transistors and so forth used in each piece. And, of course, resistors and capacitors are esentially a generic replacement item. My experience has been the specialized components within a Mac unit normally will be available. However, as older units are eventually replaced or shipped overseas and their numbers dwindle, Mac does production runs of items such as controls and high voltage or proprietary components. You may be in between a situation of a part being in stock and waiting for the next production run of an item. Or, you could have a shop that doesn't really care to fix something that old and isn't interested in making substitutions to get the unit ready. Possibly you need to let them know if you will accept a substitute part or you prefer to keep the unit as original as possible.

Call Audio Classics in New York for more answers concerning repairs on vintage McIntosh.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us