Needle 'skating' across record

Discobunny
Unregistered guest
Hi all, hoping you can help me out. The stylus on my old slightly crappy turntable has started skating across the record as soon as it starts. I've tried it with a few different records (and different speeds) all with the same problem. These records have played fine in the past and don't look scratched, and the turntable has been playing fine up until now. Any idea what might be wrong?

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1086
Check your anti-skate control setting.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5736

If this is a problem that has suddenly occurred, I would say you no longer have a stylus on the cantilever of your cartridge.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 894
Indeed, I would agree with Jan on this. Look closely at the cantilever of the cartridge. There should be a pointed fragment hanging on the end about 0.5mm long (this is actually the stylus). If it's not there you need a new stylus (usually supplied with cantilever and mount).

It happens sometimes that after a long period of time, the glue holding the stylus to the cantilever degrades, so when the cartridge is used, the stylus falls, or gets ripped, off.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Paulbercovitch

Post Number: 1
I have had a Pioneer PL-707 turntable for years and it has always worked (except that the automated tone arm lift/return has been busted for a while). Today, when I try to use the turntable, it plays normally for about 15 seconds, at which point the start/stop button begins flashing for about 10 seconds before the platter suddenly stops. ALSO, after the platter is spinning, the start/stop button ceases functioning until playback has completely stopped.

Username: Paulbercovitch

Post Number: 2
Sorry, I meant that to be a NEW post.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5883

This could be a result of the automatic functions being busted. There is no way I can think of to rememdy this problem on your own. Time to take it to the repair shop.

Username: Johnpaul

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 1
I actually have a similar problem that started today. I have an old Technics SL-bd35 that has "preset" anti-skating settings on it. It played fine until today and now it skates accross brand new vinyl (and older vinyl) The belt for it broke a few weeks ago, and I replaced it with a 23.6" a few days ago. I ended up ordering the belt online, but in my quest for a local merchant selling belts..I found one after I had ordered it... I bought a new stylus for the existing cartridge hoping to improve the sound quality. I am a total amateur when it comes to analog, and I am learning more and more every day. Could I have put the stylus on wrong that would give me this skating? I was careful not to touch or damage it while I put it on. Is the screw that holds the p-mount cartridge an adjustment screw? Is there any way to adjust the anti skate even though this turntable came "factory adjusted? How? One last thing..I played a few records right away when I got it up and running again and it did not skate. It did however have a really bad hum when I turned the volume up. Is this a precursor to a bad stylus or a faulty setting/adjustment? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much. johnpaul
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us