First Record Player--Need Help Setting Up Pioneer PL-518!

Username: Dfreestyle

Post Number: 1
I just bought a used Pioneer PL-518 from ebay, and I believe I set it up as much as I knew how so far. The red and white cords are hooked up to my AUX input in my stereo, the balance weight on the back of the tonearm is set to zero. I did not replace the needle it came with, but the seller sent an additional needle which I'm not sure how to replace. When I try to play a record (in mint condition) in this current state, it won't stay on the record and sounds "far away," muted, and unclear. I have to turn the volume up loud to even hear sound coming from it. What should the other settings be on (Anti-Skate, etc.)? And is this a needle problem? If so, how do I replace it? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 93
Does your stereo have a phono input? If it does, you are using the wrong input. If not (most likely the case) You probably need an external phono pre-amp. I don't know anything about your turntable, but most do not have an internal phono pre-amp inside them. I just got a turntable myself, so I don't know much about the other issues.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4162

The counterweight should not be at "0"; it should indicate the amount of stylus pressure you require. I'm not certain that turning the counterweight to the correct number will actually get the table set up properly. You should use a stylus pressure gauge if you are unsure how to set up a table. Too little or too much stylus pressure will damage your records. The anti skate is set to the same value as the downforce (stylus pressure). Contact the seller pertaining the replacement stylus.

It sounds as if you need a phono pre amp.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Username: Dfreestyle

Post Number: 2
Thanks, everyone for your help, I will investigate the stylus pressure gauge and a phono preamp--I'm sure I'll be back soon! :-)

grubb25
Unregistered guest
http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

mmi
Unregistered guest
Hi, I just found an old record player and it plays some records. Other records it won't play (the record either stops turning or plays really slow). Some records play fine on one side but plays really slow on the other. Is this because of the records or is it the record player? If its the record player what's the problem? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5234

It's the player. The problem is it is broken.

Username: Zedsimon

Post Number: 8
mmi: More specifically, your problem is probably the belt that turns the platter. a little more info on the player and we maybe can steer you towrads getting it fixed. Belts are not hard to find.

dfreestyle: once you've got your 518 on a phono input or outboard preamp, you'll need to set the tracking weight. The weight in back has 2 parts. The big one is the counterweight. With the tonearm "floating" off its rest (but not on the platter), turn it to make the arm level with the body of the player. Then, holding the counterweight in place, set the tracking weight (the one with the numbers) to 0. Finally, turn both knobs together to the recommended tracking weight of the cartridge (usually around 1.5 grams). I just got a 518 myself. G'luck with yours.

mmi
Unregistered guest
Hi, the player is a Sharp SG-R55(GY). Do you need more info? Thanks alot for the help. I appreciate it.

Username: Zedsimon

Post Number: 9
Try calling or e-mailing Garage-A-Records to find out which belt you need. Once you've got your belt it's simple enough to replace.

www.garage-a-records.com

Unregistered guest
i just got a GE record player and i dont know what kind of speakers it takes. if you have some information pleas help!!!

Unregistered guest
My record player has a problem. The needle will not stay on the player. If I set the needle on the record, it will automatically rise after a few seconds like it has reached the end of a side. How can this be fixed? Has anyone had this problem before?

Unregistered guest
FYI, it is a gemini if that helps at all?

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 41
read through this post. Afew general things- first, for some of these problems for older turntables, not only changing the belt, but also cleaning the turntable, meaning the mechanical parts, is VERY helpful, particularly as it relates to consistent tracking speed issues.

Second, its probably a good idea to find someone who works on turntables who can check yours out. In Houston, Kevin at sound exchange on Richmond works on turntables every day and has been for years.

Stuff like the PIo 516, whcih I use, or the Pio518, were really well made, as compared to, for instance the audio technica plastic offering sold at Best Buy today. I feel its worth maintaining these older turntables from the 70s and 80s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us