Car stereo + waterproof speakers.. wattage? wat?

Unregistered guest
Hi there..

I've just bought a Sony CDX-S2000 CD Tuner, with the intention of installing it in the kitchen and wiring up two speakers in my bathroom to front, and two in kitchen to rear (or something like that).
I've come to actually choosing the speakers, and I'm slightly flummoxed.. I was thinking of something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089876282&category=15263 or this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2472785346&category=15271 but now I've heard of underpowering, and all sorts of other arcane music tech malarkey.. can anyone help out here???

Cheers

Tiff

Unregistered guest
the stereo's vital statistics are:

AM/FM RDS Tuner
Wired remote control input
CD-R/RW compatible
4 x 50W Amplifier
1 RCA pre-out
EQ3
100dB+ Signal to noise ratio
Detachable face plate
DIN sized unit
ISO Connector
Drive-S
S-MOSFET

and I've seen some speakers that are this:

6 1/2" WATERPROOF SPEAKERS (80W)

6 1/2" polymica cones in precision moulded frames.
Sold as a pair.
10 oz magnet.
80 W RMS (EIA) power handling, 160W max.
4 Ohms impedence.
Swivel tweeters.
1" mylar domes.
Neodymium magnets.
Plastic magnet covers.
All plastic parts are high temp ABS -20 degrees to +105 degrees centigrade.
400 Hr UV stable plastic.
Frequency response 40-25 KHz + -db.
Gold plated connectors.
Ideal for the garden, spa, hot tub, sauna, pool area, boats, caravans, motorhomes or any outdoor application.

Is 80w too much for the amp? they are 4 ohms though, which is good for car stereos, yesno??

Unregistered guest
hmm. the sony website says

Output Power (DIN 45324, 4 ohm) 4x 26W
Max. Output Power (1kHz, 4 ohm) 4x 50W

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 455
the speakers should pose no problem and the car stereo should be fine as well. However, don't believe the power ratings, those are peak outputs at certain times and for a short burst. In reality the wattage should be around 7-10 watts. And yes, 4 ohms is usually standard for car stereos.
You should worry about the power supply you are going to use for the car stereo. 13.8 volts with about 25 ampere or higher rating.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us