Monitor audio s2 or paradigm focus for rx v1400

hursh
Unregistered guest
hi, just got my rx v1400 today and i went out looking for a set of speakers,i end up finding two sets,both sets sound good,these are
monitor audio paradigm focus
M.A. LCR center paradigm cc270
M.A. FX rear paradigm adp170
M.A. ASW210 sub ps 1000
i really dont know what am going to choose,using for movies and music,pls advise.

hursh
Unregistered guest
hawk,and other pros.out there,need some advise,pls.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 298
I have the MA Silver 2's and love them but for the Yamaha 1400 I would not recommend them over the Paradigm's because the Yamaha while not bright like past models is still a bit thin sounding and thus a better match with Paradigm. My question is why you are comparing a $750 pair MA with a much cheaper Paradigm. If you are willin to spend the money on the MA why not the same on Paradigm. At least buy the Monitor 5 for your fronts but the Monitor 7 is closest in price to the Silver 2. The rest of your Paradigms is fine.

hursh
Unregistered guest
hi there, a ht store computed me a set of monitor audio
MA s2,s1 rear,lcr center,asw100 sub,for $1480 u.s and i have made some homework changing those with what i listed above,and i still dont know how much it cost,i just want a set of speakers that would perfectly match rxv1400 and perfect for home theater with a price range of $1500,can give some advice which brand and models with your choice,small-mid room.

hursh
Unregistered guest
elitefan,am sorry, iam new at these HT thing,just want to be sure am sending money on a compatible and really worthy speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
The Paradigm models I mentioned [Monitor 5 and 7] will work very well with the Yamaha 1400. The 7 is an especially good buy if you want a floorstander and have the space and room acoustics for it. The 5 is a very nice bookshelf model. As I said the rest of the Paradigm's you mentioned are fine and if you buy this system you will have a very good mid priced system you will be happy with for quite awhile. Good luck.

hursh
Unregistered guest
is b&w dm602s3 compatible with rxv1400? really need some advise pls. of what front,center,rear and sub for $1500.thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 445
hursh:

Sorry--I've been out of town.

Hey, elitefan is dead on. Paradigm is a better choice for the Yamaha receiver (congrats, btw) as its sound matches better than the Monitor Audios. Both Paradigm and MA are superb speakers and very good values for the money, but I think the MAs are just a bit bright. The Yamaha is also just a bit bright. Combined, they would exaggerate this brightness (a bump in the frequency response between 2-4Khz) and may make the system unlistenable. By that I mean that if you get too much information in that part of the audio frequency range, it can lead to what is known as "audio fatigue" and you find yourself turning the system off after 20 minutes or so. Even if it doesn't cause the fatigue, it may reduce your enjoyment over time.

Paradigm is a warmer sounding speaker, which is much smoother through the upper midrange (2-4Khz). It is not a "better" speaker than the MAs, just a better match with the Yamaha receiver. I think you will be pleased with the result.

As for B+W speakers, they are also very good speakers, but I still believe the Paradigms are a better match, sonically. If you want something a little less expensive, PSB also makes a line of speakers that sounds very close to Paradigm, but you can usually get them discounted (unlike Paradigm). Check out their Image line, in particular. It is very comparable in quality to the B+W, MAs and Paradigms, with a smooth sound close to the Paradigm (hence a good match for your Yamaha). The Image line will be replaced soon, so the prices are quite good right now.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 446
Hursh:

I just had another thought. Check out the NHT SB-3 speaker. MSRP is $600/pair, but I priced them at Kief's for $470/pr. (www.kiefs.com). Add an NHT SC-1 for $235 (MSRP is $300) and a pair of SB-1s for the rears for $235, also (MSRP is $300) and you are up to $940 for a system that really images (a very smooth sounding speaker, too) and is a great match for your Yamaha. Add a Hsu research STF-1 or STF-2 subwoofer ($299 or $399, respectively), and you have the whole thing for well below your budget. Check them out at www.hsuresearch.com. I know this system will sound great. The SB-3 is Stereophile's reference bookshelf speaker, so you know it is a very good sounding model. I have spent a number of hours listening to the SB-3s and I absolutely love it--I just wish it fit my room. If it did I would have them myself.

Good luck!

hursh
Unregistered guest
hawk,

so which do you think is beter? the set of paradigm or the set you just type above? and in addition of axiom m22ti,vp100 center,qs4 rear and ep175 sub? thanks for spending some of your time.

hursh
Unregistered guest
hawk,elitefan and other pros out there,what do you guys think? got to settle for a set of speakers soon,cant wait any longer.

HURSH
Unregistered guest
hawk, elitefan, guys help me decide,should i go for the papadigm,axiom,or NHT?

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
I have only the Paradigm's in my area so have not been able to hear NHT's for a few years and the Axiom not at all so I can't compare. I only know the Paradigms are a nice match with your Yamaha. As I said above listen to the 5's and 7's and I think you'll like what you hear. Sorry I can't be more helpful but you should buy what sounds best to you anyway. Good luck.

Username: Littleyama

Post Number: 6
Hawk, Elite,Gregory,... I am considering buying Energy Veritas V2.1 bookshelfs (4), V2.OC (center channel). My question is Would these speakers be a good match with Denon,Yamaha or Pioneer receiver? If not, what would you match up with the above speakers? Why? Also if the energy's are an appropiate speaker what sub should I match up with them.

I have a listening room 19' X 13' w/18' ceiling. I will be watching movies/playing music 50-50.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us