Which speakers should I buy??

Username: Rikizzy

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to buy a new pair of towers for both HT and music. I don't know which to choose between Energy Connoisseur C-5 ($999cdn), Polks RTi8 ($1099cdn) or Athena ASF2 ($799cdn). My center is an old Polk CS150 (willing to replace) and my receiver is Panasonic SA-HE100 (i thought of maybe replacing with Onkyo TX-SR601 or TX-SR701, or HK AVR230). Any suggestions would be great.

Unregistered guest
I have the Athena ASF2 and they are just superb for the price but the receiver that you mention will not do them justice (underpower). My recever is the Marantz 7300ose. Check Future Shop they are onsale this week and with the money that you just save upgrade your recever check out the 7300ose our Nad product. I'Am Canadian

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 372
I vote for the Athena ASF2, should pair well with the HK AVR 230 and the Onkyo. I almost bought the Polk RTi8 but I was not too impressed after hearing several other speakers like Axiom, Athena, B&W and Aperion. Have you listened to any of these speakers? It would serve you well to listen to them first, specially the Polks, some people like them and some don't.
cheers

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys, I ended up going totally in a different direction, a friend had me listen to KEF speakers, all I can say is wow, found a place that let me audition a few Kef models as well as Energy and a couple more (Can't remember which) with HK and a NAD receiver, I fell in love. I went with the KEF Q3, it helped also that the price was dropped by 40%, originally at $1000.00 cdn, got them brand new at $600.00cdn. They even sound good with my cheap Panasonic, even better now that they're broken in. Now I need to save for that NAD T753/T763. Again thanks for your advice.

Unregistered guest
I just bought myself a pair of Athenas ASF2. They sound amazing! My only problem is that i can't seem to find a affordable receiver that will do them justice. I just bought the Denon AVR1604 and it doesn't push them like i thought it would. Is there any suggestions of what good affordable receiver i can get? I'm thinking of buying another denon or maybe a yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 442
Zeal:

For the Athenas, which are just a bit on the bright side, you should think about and listen to a Marantz, which is very smooth and just a bit laid back. Unfortunately, since Athenas are in Best Buy and Marantz dealers won't carry Athenas as they don't want to compete directly with Best Buy, it is near impossible to listen to the two together. Nevertheless, the tonal charecter of Marantz is a much better match with Athena towers than either Denon or Yamaha. So check them out--I think you will like what you hear. Look into the SR5400 and any model above it as a very good match.

Good luck!

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 3
Hello Hawk, I see you everywhere on this forum, and think you give great advice and I've learned so much from what I've read from you.

In relation to my earlier post, with the Kef's, do you think Marantz 7400 or NAD 753/763 would do the speakers justice? I haven't seen you talk about Kef speakers, but I'm still taking a shot at getting some good advice from you.
Thanks, again.

Unregistered guest
K thanx Hawk! I'm also wondering if Denon is more High Current then Yamaha. I'm dealing with a certain company right now that only caries Denon ,Yamaha and Panasonic. So i could only go with one of those receivers. So please let me know which would be the best way to go.

Anonymous

i could get you in to a tr-2900 for that kind of money. let me talk to my boss and i will get back to you.

Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a good receiver for my Athenas ASF2 not speakers but thanx anyways.

Anonymous

look son i already talked to my boss about this. in my book you already own them, unless you want trouble with witches?

Zeal
Unregistered guest
O-K????????? anyways................... I have Great Sounding Speakers and they ROCK! ATHENA ASF2 KICK BUTT!!!!!!!! I abought myself a Denon Receiver and they sound great together.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 447
Rikizzy:

If I haven't spoken about KEF speakers, it is usually because no one asked. Your new Q3s are an excellent speaker.

I think either the NAD or the Marantz is a very good choice for your new KEFs (Congrats, BTW). I have found KEFs sound much better with a receiver that has a "warm" sound to it. Both NAD and Marantz fit that requirement nicely. I personally am thrilled with my NAD 753 as I found the sound to be comparable to quality separates. IMO, the Marantz is not quite that good, but it is very close. Both are first rate and are good choices for your new KEFs and both should be a big improvement over your Panasonic receiver.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Hi guys. If you went "wow" listening to the Kefs, have a listen to Green Mountain Audio Europa's At $880.00/pair I can ASSURE you there is NOTHING out there that can compete. In fact, nothing under $6k has bettered them to date. They have made an awfull lot of good speakers sound bad. Things like Paradigm Reference studio 100's, Revel Performa's, ADS L-1290's, Infinity IRS, B&W 805's, the $10k Magneplaners, Accoustat 2+2's, etc
Note: the Infinity's were $90K!!!!
Check out Green Mountain speakers here:
http://greenmountainaudio.com/
For others views/reviews of these amazing speakers, go to http://www.audiogon.com
Then click on "discussion forums" on the right side of the page. Then search for "Europa" You'll be wanting to hear them for sure.

Unregistered guest
Also, if your looking to replace your reciever, have a listen to the new digital Panasonic XR-45 for around $350.00 new. Folks are saying some great things about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 59
mauimusicman,

I was originally going to ask, how do the Europa's compare to the Dydaudio 52's ? You know, something in, or at it's price point. But you are telling me they will blow away $10,000 Maggies ?

I have been around this stuff for a lot of years, currently own Maggies, so I have to hear these things. Have you personally listened to them, or just reading owner reviews ?

Tell me more.......

Unregistered guest
No, I have a pair. A guy from the Oregon Symphony auditioned the big Maggies the same day he auditioned the Europa's. Said it was the only speaker he had heard that he could pick out particular violinists by listening. He could pick out the sound of the ribbon mic on the Europa's but not on other speakers he auditioned. I personally heard them against the big Infinity IRS and the Revel's and the ADS's. No contest. Europa is one speaker worth seaking out. For under $900.00/pair they are a steal.

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 60
mauimusicman,

Living 45 minutes from Manhattan, I have the luxury of finding and auditioning most everything made. It turns out I have a Green Mountain dealer/installer 5 miles from me. I will check them out and post a review.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. You should join the board. Good advice and info is always welcome here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us