Cambridge Audio 540c/ NAD c541i/ Marantz c5400??

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 231
Of these cd players which one would be the best for musicality?

System
Kenwood Sovereign VR5700
Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 614
NAD, hands down. It is much more "musical" than the other two, IMHO. Now, if you went to the Cambridge 640c, I would say cambridge, but the NAD is better sounding than the 540c. Finally, I do not think the Marantz is even competitive with the other two. The Marantz sounded very two dimensional to me--absolutely no depth to the soundstage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Great...I am considering the 640C as well as the 540C, I just was trying to justify the cost. I can pick up the NAD for $299 whereas the 640C is $479. Is it worth the $180 difference? I am going to make a quantum leap forward either way going from a 5 year old off the shelf (BestBuy type) Sony product.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 621
vols:

IMO, it is not worth the extra difference. The NAD at $299 is a real bargain and the difference between it and the 640c is quite small--many people would not even notice it.

BTW--heard your speakers for the first time last week. Nice choice. They are also quite a bargain.

Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Thanks....This will be my first purchase of a higher end cd player so I figured I wouldn't be missing much by going with the NAD, I do like the fact that it has HDCD capacity as well. I think this will probably be my choice for the time being, maybe a better one on down the road. I am glad you got a chance to hear the Wharfedale's, I still to this day can not believe the sound they offer at that price point. It is truelly incredible, I can't wait to hear the Diamond 9 series as What Hi-Fi Magazine states they are even better and priced justaboe the 8 series. It suprises me that more people haven't chosen Wharfedales for their great sound and price. Thanks for the kind comments and I am glad to see you are back!

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 52
vols- if you're buying the 541i from Saturday Audio you better hurry. They only have a couple left. (I bought one on Monday)

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
yeah i know, maybe i will take the plunge

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Rob...let me know what you think of this player when you get it.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 54
Just got it today. I'm playing a cd on repeat for 24-48 hrs to "break it in" as they say. I will set it up this weekend and post my findings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Thanks...I am interested in hearing your opinion on it.

Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 10
The competition should be rephrased into:
Marantz CD7300 vs CA 640A vs NAD C542

In this scenario and despite being an NAD guy, the Marantz take the cup as the soundstage and imaging factor are simply phenomenal for the cash. All three have a sweet sound with enough details to rival each other. The CD7300 however is a bit slow paced and might initially sound less exciting to the unprimed ears but they are quite a feat for vocals though.
Try auditioning them and hear for yourself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us