How to remove mould and deep clean grooves on vinyl

Username: Midiman

Post Number: 1
Hi I seem to have some mouldy records that need a deep clean.

I have cleaned some of them to near perfection visually. But when I play them back I get the snap crackle and pop.

I,m starting to think maybe some Mould or dust is still stuck in the grooves.

The other problem I have is where the background beats drop in a part of the song. You can hear crackling behind the vocals. When the beats start again it goes away.

I have used record cleaning fluid and an anti static gun from Milty.

I still cant get rid of the snap and crackles.

Do you think Mould cleaner will help and a brush with a soft bristled brush ??

Please help.

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Dvautier

Bellevue, Wa Usa

Post Number: 32
I have a bunch of records and I notice that even some of the new ones have pops and crackles. Almost all of the pops can be removed digitally if you go to CD. I have a web page with some information that a friend gave to me on cleaning.

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/cleaning.htm

Also I have one on transferring to CD:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5491

Any record will benefit from vacuum cleaning procedures and materials. Handheld devices cannot get to the bottom of the groove and often merely push mold and trapped particles into the sides of the groove. Moldy records can be improved but seldom completely repaired as the mold has damaged the polycarbonate base. Put "DIY record cleaning" into a search engine to begin the process.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1029
Get yourself a VPI record cleaner. Applies cleaning fluid, gently scrubs and vacuums. It's an expensive piece, but if you have a substantial record collection, it's worth every penny. There are cheaper substitutes, but you get what you pay for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us