Help me connect my subwoofer

Dainius
Unregistered guest
Before I start I'll mention that I'm new to the whole "Home theatre system" thing.

My problem is that I can't get to connect my subwoofer, In the back it has 8 "jacks" or what am I supposed to call them. It's something like Input Left/Right and Output Left/Right. And another wierd thing is that in my reciever there is no place for the subwoofer. I can connect the Center, rear speakers and there is place for 2 sets of front speakers (A and B). So could someone explain how I could get all of this stuff connected.

I have a Sony STR-D790 reciever and Theater Research TR-5140 Speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 634
Your sub should have a low-level input with an RCA plug, and your receiver should have the same output. Use an RCA audio cable to connect them.

How do the white van speakers sound?

Dainius
Unregistered guest
Well the Input/ Output R/L jacks are the only ones on the sub there is nothing else. As for the second part of your question... They're ok considering that I got them for free; long story don't ask me...

AmSamoan
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you don't have a Subwoofer output on your receiver, so here's what you do:

- L/R out of the main channels on your receiver
- L/R into the L/R INPUT on the back of your Sub
- L/R from the OUTPUT on the back of your Sub into your L/R Main speakers

Make sense? Good luck!

Dainius
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot AmSamoan, it works. The only "wierd" thing is that the base is a litle too weak, even though I set it to the max on the reciever.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 637
Well, it's not a Dolby Digital or DTS compatible receiver, so movies will never have the full impact. Nevertheless, you should get get balanced bass from the sub (on music for example) when connecting it this way.

AmSamoan
Unregistered guest
Dainius: Assuming it's a newer, powered Sub, you might (should) have a separate adjustment knob on the Sub itself. It should be on the back, near the inputs/outputs.
I found the speakers on TR's website, but there is no mention of a knob, nor a picture of the back of the Sub, so it's a shot in the dark.

Good luck!

Dainius
Unregistered guest
That's the thing there is nothing in the back of the sub exept for the Input/output jacks. If I understood correctly what you meant by "powered sub", which I think you meant that it has a power cable... then no it does not. Kind of wierd.

AmSamoan
Unregistered guest
Powered Sub = Has an amplifier built in

Passive Sub = Uses only the power from your external receiver/amp

Unregistered guest
ok i have an STRD790 sony receiver, it was given to me and i have no manual for it..

i tried to turn it on and it does turn on but a few seconds after that the screen changes and says "protector" i know this has to do with something about wires being crossed but i have disconected everything from the back and it still says protector everytime i turn it on........is this something i can get repaired or is the receiver just trash now?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us