Want to add an amp and equalizer to sony mini hifi

Username: Kpeters

Post Number: 1
Hi guys I was wondering if you have any idea on how to hook an ecualizer and amp to this little sony mini.

Things is the onlis things this mini has is 2 speaker outs positive and negative bare wire and clip type, aux in and headphones and thats it.

I guess question is if I take the signal from the speaker out on the Sony pass it through a fischer equalizer and then through a Pyle mini amp and then to the speakers will it work or will I burn everything for using the speaker signal and not a line out?

Other question I think would be if instead of using the speaker connectors I can use the headphones one for line out and hook everything as I said but using the headphones jack instead.

Thanks for your help im a newbie with this odd experiments!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5582
You could do that, in using the speaker output, but what's the point? Honestly, it won't improve the sound. Fischer and Pyle are low quality products and will probably make it sound worse. EQ's are pretty outdated anyway....buuut...

Anyway, you would need a speaker line output converter that converts the speaker output to RCA output. These are called, simply, line out converters (LOC) and are commonly used in car audio for those that want to hook up an external amplifier and keep the factory head unit that doesn't have RCA outputs. A car audio LOC would work fine. They cost about 10-15$ and can be found at most any place that installs car audio, including Best Buy.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1707
My advice, upgrade to a good receiver based system and forget about the equalizer altogether.

Username: Kpeters

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the answers yes I'm going to upgrade but meanwhile I wanted to play around with this one with inexpensive used audio parts.

I need the equalizer because I like to play around with it depending on what type of music im hearing. Even with great amps from good brands I always like to have an equalizer.

The biggest problem is speaker size for this little fellow so I bought a pair of small but bigger than previous Bose speakers which are supposed to be good bookshelf ones.

I was looking at NAD and Harmann Kardon units since I feel in love with a NAD unit my father has coupled with some Boston Acoustics tower speakers amazing sound.

So another question here will an AVR perform as well as a dedicated amplifier or at least close enough? NAD says it does what do you think?

And btw fischer and marantz were good brands one time what happened?

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1717
First off, if used improperly as in boosting parts of the signal, an eq can cause your amp to clip even at low volumes. Kiss your speakers good bye! It's best not to use an eq at all, but if you feel you must, reduce parts of the signal that are too strong rather than boosting "weak" parts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us